Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krimsanavenger

Hockey laces hanging from Ovechkins waist?

It is for fit. A lace will hold up your pants tighter than a belt. Dany Heatley does it as well. I do it with a pair of Reebok 5K pants that I have because I find the belt doesn't sit at my waist.

The tie string on my pant uppers was a bit too short so I replaced it with an extra lace. Feeling foolish with all that extra lace hanging, I cut mine to a reasonable length. I don't use the belt on my pants, the tie seems to work well enough.

I don't think the lace is in place of a belt, I wear a belt...but the pants (Older Pro CCM's) have 5 or 6 eyelets to close the front. I use a lace for that.

Then I should correct my prvious post:

I don't think the the use of a lace is in place of a belt in all cases, I wear a belt...but the pants (Older Pro CCM's) have 5 or 6 eyelets to close the front. I use a lace for that.

Why does Ovechkin always have skate laces hanging from his waist? Anybody know?

Maybe the same reason he also wears neon yellow skate laces?? Or the same reason Gretzky and Jagr played with their jerseys tucked in their pants?? STYLE! lol

I have been doing this for a while.

I didn't like the feel of the string used to tie my shell, so replaced it with a pair of skate laces.

Nobody ever said anything till Ovi started doing it.

I didn't like the feel of the string used to tie my shell, so replaced it with a pair of skate laces.

the belt of my shell broke. and I didn't want another belt so I to also put laces on. I liked them more and they looked cooler

it probably started the same way for him and he just got used to it.

for the record I have had yellow laces since I was 12 long before Ovi was who Ovi is

I've noticed a lot of pants manufacturers going to long laces in the front. I just bought my 7-year old some reebok 5k's that have white laces which hang down a good 12-16 inches when tied.

Maybe the same reason he also wears neon yellow skate laces?? Or the same reason Gretzky and Jagr played with their jerseys tucked in their pants?? STYLE! lol

Actually, Gretzky tucked his sweater in because he always played with jerseys too big for him.

I think it's just for style purposes. I do the same thing and my belt hangs down as well since I crank it so both hang. Doesn't look as cool when you're wheelin like Modano's jeysey in the wind though.

A lace especially a waxed one wouldn't loosen up like a belt does. I find myself having to retighten my belt several times a game as the webbing backs out of the buckle a bit.

He was the face of CCM and now Bauer if they cant get him something to hold his pants up other than a lace there is a problem.

And Crosby is the face of Reebok, if they cant get him a new cup there's a problem there too.

Hockey players arent very superstitious are they? What may have started out as a fix during a game when he was a kid, probably has lasted since because its something he's always done. Who knows, maybe a belt broke and he had his first hat trick that game with a lace in its place and he's never wanted to get rid of it. Maybe, he just likes the way the lace feels over a belt.

Who knows. Sure, I bet there is a solution for him that can be had. However, if its something you've always done and its something you like or are superstitious about, you're not going to change.

If it was anyone other than Ovi doing this, no one would be accusing them of it being because of style or attention. I wore yellow laces 20 years ago when Graf yellows were all you could get waxed. No one ever accused me of doing it for the attention till I came back after 15 years out of the game and there was a guy named Ovi doing it and everyone thought I was trying to be like him.

Believe or not, some people do just do things because THEY like it.

I mean come on. Half the threads on this board end with the acknowledgement that it is likely nothing other than personal preference. Sure there are belts out there that'd do the trick and if not there are people at Bauer who would be happy to modify something to help Alex out. But at the end of the day, this thread will just end like all the others.