Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MIAPlayer

How Do You Take Your Hockey Gear On An Airplane?

Hey all, for the first time in a few weeks I will have to fly my hockey stuff from school down here in Miami up to home in NY. I am flying Delta and their hockey baggage requirement for is:

Hockey equipment will be accepted as checked baggage only. Standard baggage fees and policies will apply. Based on purchase date of ticket, fees may apply. One item of hockey/lacrosse equipment is defined as one equipment bag plus two hockey or lacrosse sticks (taped together). If the total weight of the equipment is over 50 lbs. and/or over 80 linear inches (203 cm), special baggage fees will apply.

So I have a gear bag with dimensions of 36x16x16. Then I also have a stick bag w/ 2 sticks in it. So do I actually have to tape the sticks together and take them out of the bag? Or should i put the sticks in the bag and then tape around the bag so its as small as possible? Or something else? Also, my sticks are around 60 inches and so wouldn't my bag plus the sticks be over the required 80 inches? Please help me!

Hey all, for the first time in a few weeks I will have to fly my hockey stuff from school down here in Miami up to home in NY. I am flying Delta and their hockey baggage requirement for is:

Hockey equipment will be accepted as checked baggage only. Standard baggage fees and policies will apply. Based on purchase date of ticket, fees may apply. One item of hockey/lacrosse equipment is defined as one equipment bag plus two hockey or lacrosse sticks (taped together). If the total weight of the equipment is over 50 lbs. and/or over 80 linear inches (203 cm), special baggage fees will apply.

So I have a gear bag with dimensions of 36x16x16. Then I also have a stick bag w/ 2 sticks in it. So do I actually have to tape the sticks together and take them out of the bag? Or should i put the sticks in the bag and then tape around the bag so its as small as possible? Or something else? Also, my sticks are around 60 inches and so wouldn't my bag plus the sticks be over the required 80 inches? Please help me!

if you tape your stick bag to your player bag you should be fine. I've done this several times and never been charged for an extra bag. the airlines bag fees have made it really hard to travel to tournaments by air. it really pisses me off.

Just keep the sticks in the bag - no need to tape them together. I like the idea of taping your stick bag to your regular bag too, I had never thought of that one.

Can you do that? i thought putting locks on bags was no good anymore since they do random checks now and would require to get into it. ?

Can you do that? i thought putting locks on bags was no good anymore since they do random checks now and would require to get into it. ?

That's why I said to use the TSA locks. The TSA has keys and can open it for inspection, nobody else can open it though.

That's why I said to use the TSA locks. The TSA has keys and can open it for inspection, nobody else can open it though.

Ahh i quickly read over it and mistook "tsa" as a brand of lock!

interesting, i guess i'd look into getting a TSA lock for just regular luggage as well as hockey equipment.

Kind of makes you wonder what you're paying for in the price of the ticket if you get charged out the ass for everything else now.

Although I have seen a goalie fit his equipment into two regular sized suitcases (because of his pads). Looked quite stupid coming to the rink like that, but I think I could probably squeeze my stuff into a large suitcase that expands upwards if I had to. Fold up a hockey bag and shove it in there as well. Not sure if the size of your bag is the issue, though. If it's going to cost you to take the sticks, you might as well just tape it all together.

Getting through the metal detector could be interesting??? :rolleyes:

Other than the metal on the skates, buttons on the pants for suspenders, and on your helmet screws where else is there metal?

Other than the metal on the skates, buttons on the pants for suspenders, and on your helmet screws where else is there metal?

I doubt they let anyone take skates on board. unless the blades have been removed. Plus, would you really want to ruin your steel? not to mention looking ridiculous and smelling like holy hell. would be one heck of a sight though..

Ahh i quickly read over it and mistook "tsa" as a brand of lock!

interesting, i guess i'd look into getting a TSA lock for just regular luggage as well as hockey equipment.

I use them any time I check luggage, don't want anyone stealing my rum from the islands.

Getting through the metal detector could be interesting??? :rolleyes:

You would have to take it all off anyway.

Get a starter pistol and put it in your bag as a declared firearm. You have to use a non TSA padlock and your bag will be babied. Typically last bag on and first bag off too.

Haha thanks for all the posts. But I think the general consensus is to tape my sticks to my bag which will probably be easi?est for me. Quick question with that is: It still ok if when you tape the sticks to the bag that the sticks go out a bit further than the bag for they are longer

this is interesting, if i were moving my hockey equipment i would totally lock up my stuff.

Has anyone ever have gotten stuff stolen from your bags? (hockey eqp. or other stuff) ?

i know that if they check your bag, they will put a stick on it saying that the bag has been checked.

Each airline is different. They all list their own policies on their websites. You should print out a copy of the policy and bring it to the airport with you. Sometimes the people at the counter don't know the policy and will charge the bag and sticks as two pieces. If you are checking a 3rd piece this can be a very expensive error. Also the automated kiosks are not set up properly for sporting goods (you need TWO stickers, one for the bag and one for the sticks) and once you use the kiosk, many desk people don't know how to print the second sticker without charging you. Best to go directly to the desk person and ask first.

Haha thanks for all the posts. But I think the general consensus is to tape my sticks to my bag which will probably be easi?est for me. Quick question with that is: It still ok if when you tape the sticks to the bag that the sticks go out a bit further than the bag for they are longer

I would not do that. It increases the possibility of the sticks catching on something and causing a problem.

I would not do that. It increases the possibility of the sticks catching on something and causing a problem.

Ok, yea I was afraid of that. So you think I should just keep them separate?

Ok, yea I was afraid of that. So you think I should just keep them separate?

Yes, that is what I have done when I fly. I use a stick bag as well. I pull the blades out of my shafts and put the blades in with my gear, then fold over the end of the stick bag and tape it down.

Yes, that is what I have done when I fly. I use a stick bag as well. I pull the blades out of my shafts and put the blades in with my gear, then fold over the end of the stick bag and tape it down.

Hmm well problem with that is I have a OPS so I can't exactly take the blade out...I mean I called the airline and they said they think it should be ok if I have them in a bag.