Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eugene8080

How to clean your smelly gloves

no one has mentioned bleach yet, but I used a tad of bleach in my front load washer to clean my gloves and they came out smell-free. However, after about 10 games they smell about like they did to begin with... I guess that isn't so bad.

AFAIK, it didn't do any damage to the gloves though the palms felt slightly thinner and more flexible, but this could have been all the salt from sweat being washed out....

FUNK FREE works great.

I agree. I just wish it came in an unscented version. If you can handle the smell, air your equipment, frequently kill the bugs back with an alcohol spray and then use Funk Free as an odor remover, your gear will be pretty odorless.

Hey all I'm trying to clean the smell out of my gloves but havent really had any good success. I've tried Steam cleaning which helps a little bit, as well as 99% isopropyl with water sprayed in your gloves, again this helps but doesnt really get rid of the smell entirely. So my next idea was to fill my bathtub with some water, and add some oxy clean, but im just not sure how this will work. I dont want to ruin my gloves or have the palms dry out, they're micro nash palms, but I dont know if they will dry out or not, or if its just leather that will dry out. So could someone please let me know if this will work or not?

It freshens up the palms for me but for really bad crusty gloves try getting pure lanolin cream found in the baby section of the grocery store. That made my Nash palms nice and soft again.

Inside and out. Dry/crusty palms, take stink and bacteria out, it does it all.

Inside the whole glove? How do you get it out after? Just let it evaporate or something?

Also don't do it right before a game or you'll get the slippery glove syndrome...I did that before a tourney and it sucked.

I just got a can of barbasol with aloe will that be almost the same as the barbasol with lanolin? Can I still use it on my palms?

If you want the stink out, it needs to have lanolin in it. It's a lanolin alcohol, so it kills bacteria as well as softens the gloves.

As an aside, lanolin-based shaving gels are getting really hard to find around here. There is a kind of Skintimate that has the same branding as what was posted above, but on closer inspection does not list or appear to contain any lanolin: caveat emptor. There seems to be a huge move toward using soy lipids as the moisturiser in most topical applications.

You can, however, find many kinds of baby wipes that use lanolin in much the same way that the shaving gel does. They're much more expensive, not terribly friendly to the environment with all that disposal, and do not, IME, work as well as massaging the gel into the palm, but they will help.

I know how it works. I was given the idea in 1997 by an NHL EQM who had been doing it for close to 20 years prior. I know it works.

I think he means with aloe rather than lanolin.

I tried the shaving cream thing yesterday afternoon, inside and out covered in skintimate. My palms are now back to being dry and crusty and smelly a fair bit. Did I mess up? I just took the shaving cream and put it all over the outside of the palm and inside then let the gloves dry. No difference.

If it helps, I did this to my x60 pros.

Like I said earlier, try pure lanolin gel/cream, a little goes a long way. I'm on three games with my Nash palms since doing them a few weeks back and they are very soft still.

Different approach, but when I was at college I had no where to air out my stuff so I just attempted to keep my HANDS from getting the smell by wearing latex gloves. I know some goalies do it, any of you ever give that a shot?