Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

"Must have" Blu Rays

So, as noted in the "Home Theatre" (or Theater, if you are in the States) Thread...I've got a Blu Ray player now. Looking to add a few to the modest movie collection I have. I've seen the New Star Trek on Blu Ray and it is awesome...Not looking to have every movie ever put out...just the cream of the crop, that I will want to watch over and over. What would you consider the "Must Have" BR's?

Thoughts?

The Dark Knight and Iron Man are probably the best two blu rays that I have. The Hangover came with a digital copy, which was nice as well.

Generally anything with alot of action seems to look best in BR, the next Blu Rays I'll probably get are Sin City and Iron Man 2

The Dark Knight and Iron Man are probably the best two blu rays that I have. The Hangover came with a digital copy, which was nice as well.

Generally anything with alot of action seems to look best in BR, the next Blu Rays I'll probably get are Sin City and Iron Man 2.

I'm not a big special features guy, so I can't really speak on that aspect, just the general picture quality and what I enjoy watching.

Iron Man (only saw the first one so far) was great on blu ray. Also, the Transformers movies I have on Blu Ray and I think they're amazing as well. The new Terminator that came out awhile back.

I just saw Sherlock Holmes on DVD, and I thought it would look really good converted to Blu Ray as well.

Really anything with lots of explosions or graphics type of stuff is great. In movies like The Hangover or for example I rented Shes Out of my league to watch with the g/f last night, I don't think theres much worth to spending the extra cash for blu ray over just getting the DVD for movies like that.

I figure any of the comic book movies will have lots of color and lots of stuff blowing up. All good suggestions. I agree Fire, not much point in RoCom's on BR.....I cant' get over how great regular DVD's look on it though. I dropped Pulp Fiction in, and the scene with "Brett" looked like it was in my living room *L*

Perhaps the Lord of the Rings trilogy would be worth a BR purchase, if you liked the movies and are in to Tolkein.

I mentioned in the Home Theatre thread that I have an HD projector which, because of the size of the screen, tends to have varying degrees of sharpness based on the source. For instance, we'll switch channels on Sunday Ticket and notice, "Wow, the HD camera at this stadium is way better than the one we've been watching!"

With that in mind, we've noticed the quality of image hierarchy is....

SDTV / VHS < HDTV / DVD < Blu-Ray < Pixar Blu-Ray

The Pixar movies are absolutely crystal clear. Actually, that tends to be true with most of the computer generated movies. It seems they've somehow written code which makes the colors pop out better.

Another movies that I found unexpectedly fun to watch -- and amazing to see in its vibrant colors -- is Speed Racer.

Definitely Star Trek, Iron Man, the Dark Knight and Avatar (unless you are waiting for the 3D version). Although not a truly great movie in my opinion, I did think the Alice in Wonderland looked fantastic on BR.

IMO, you have to own Blade Runner on Blu Ray so you can see how the greatest in-camera effects movie of all time stacks up against the modern CG-era.

Plus it's an awesome movie :D

The Pixar movies are absolutely crystal clear. Actually, that tends to be true with most of the computer generated movies. It seems they've somehow written code which makes the colors pop out better.

Another movies that I found unexpectedly fun to watch -- and amazing to see in its vibrant colors -- is Speed Racer.

I just watched the first 2 Toy Story films and was floored. So much detail you never pick up in the dvd versions.

I picked up 2012 the day I bought my PS3, just for the sake of having a BR movie to check out on it... visually it looked awesome, movie-wise... meh haha

I picked up 2012 the day I bought my PS3, just for the sake of having a BR movie to check out on it... visually it looked awesome, movie-wise... meh haha

The best example of a movie like this that i can think of is "D-War" or Dragon wars. I think the movie was made for the sole purpose of giving special effects artists something to do. It's so bad its good, pure comedic gold. It has a flashback INSIDE of a flashback, epic moviemaking. It is most likely cheaper then the other movies too. You all should netflix it. AMAZING

Avatar, Up and Ratatouille are the best i have seen recently, that are actually good...

So, as noted in the "Home Theatre" (or Theater, if you are in the States) Thread...I've got a Blu Ray player now. Looking to add a few to the modest movie collection I have. I've seen the New Star Trek on Blu Ray and it is awesome...Not looking to have every movie ever put out...just the cream of the crop, that I will want to watch over and over. What would you consider the "Must Have" BR's?

Thoughts?

Are you thinking just in terms of Blu Ray-ness of are you looking for great movies worth investing in for pure entertainment regardless of how great they may or may not look in Blu Ray? If that is the case, Jaws and the Blues Brothers are two I can watch over and over again for the entertainment value (and yes , I realize I am dating myself here).

saving private ryan is either coming out or out already and LOTR is coming out to BR soon

dark knight is amazing on blu ray, star wars would also be amazing on blu ray

300 is a great movie on blu ray. The images are astounding. I just rented Lord of The Rings on Blu ray and quite frankly, I wasn't impressed at all and am happy I did not buy them.

saving private ryan is either coming out or out already and LOTR is coming out to BR soon

Saving Private Ryan is out already. I have it and it is fantastic.

Radio, are you looking for just good movies, or best quality picture?

Radio, are you looking for just good movies, or best quality picture?

I want a few that will take advantage of the technology...but at the same time...something I can watch more than once.

I'm thinking "Up" and one of the comic book movies (Iron Man, Spiderman) to start...

I want a few that will take advantage of the technology...but at the same time...something I can watch more than once.

I'm thinking "Up" and one of the comic book movies (Iron Man, Spiderman) to start...

Anything Pixar is fantastic. Look here, this is where I check Blu Ray Quality.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1168342