Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJStripes

MLX Skates Now Available

Anyone wearing these skates without socks, or do they suggest that? I consider that a barometer of fit.

Heels appear to be hand placed wet layup carbon fiber, probably quickly and not so skilled. A lot like how our guys did our carbon boots! (for water skiing) It takes a lot of work and clear coats or a nice molding process to get that perfect carbon look - with real carbon that is. I like that the blade alignment is adjustable. MLX uses the T-nuts we use when fastening a holder.

Speed skates use buckles - but I guess the marketing dept but the kibosh on crossing over that. Looks are everything I guess.

The steel part of the blade is a lot of weight. In the TotalONE skate they have fused alumimun and steel and that will probably save ~ 100 grams. So 700 with the alu/steel 800 grams with an all steel runner.

I am just building a new set of (FM) carbon shell skates for myself at the moment. I won't or can't wear conventional skates anymore, having used carbon shell/liner skates for the past 5 or 6 years. These MLX's sound fairly close to my design based on the comments. I might pickup a pair because nothing out there recently has come close to what I am using.

Also very important for skaters...

http://www.youtube.com/user/MLXskates#p/u/20/UgMmWs5Pi9A

Could a couple of you guys who have had success with the fitment of these skates measure the widest part of your foot for me? My foot is 4.25" wide and I am having a hell of a time with these skates. If I don't lace them up at all except for the last three laces, my foot almost makes it through a game without falling asleep.

goaliemanshark, could you measure yours as well.

Thanks

PS-Email has been sent to MLX, I'll let you know what they say.

I just ordered a set tonite but my size is not available yet (11's).

You know I think most skates designs are developed around the factory machines that build them. So it's a evolution of a certain way of building a skate. With millions invested in equipment & people to crank out 1000's of pairs of skates.

Carbon fiber or composite skates are a revolution, a whole different deal. They are more like the old low-end Lange or Micron skate gone wild. But marketing and endorsement, imagery and that wannabe factor is so powerful - a new design seems to get written off by a lot of people before they've even tried it.

But marketing and endorsement, imagery and that wannabe factor is so powerful - a new design seems to get written off by a lot of people before they've even tried it.

Not sure it's so much marketing & imagery, as the fact that MLX with all their nuts/bolts/hand made parts etc do look quite odd even when comparing with the previous generations of skates as of 3-5 years ago...

Yeah they do, but it seems like a lot of NHL players are sacrificing the look of the skates for the performance that these skates deliver. Am I right?

Not really by saying "a lot". I think the NHL'ers who wear them can be counted on two hands, Gonchar, Alfredsson, Phillips, Byfuglien, Gaustad, probably another few others. Malkin and Talbot did, but switched out. I don't agree with the "sacrificing the look" aspect, I think it looks great, but that's subjective.

For those that have the skate, How is the instep depth of the MLX skate? I have lower instep and have trouble fitting a lot of skates. I had XXXs that fit perfectly and now have X60s now that are too deep.

Not really by saying "a lot". I think the NHL'ers who wear them can be counted on two hands, Gonchar, Alfredsson, Phillips, Byfuglien, Gaustad, probably another few others. Malkin and Talbot did, but switched out. I don't agree with the "sacrificing the look" aspect, I think it looks great, but that's subjective.

While its certainly not "a lot" it is quite a bit more than those that have worn other attempts at new styles of skates in the past (e.g. Kor). In addition to the NHL, there are a few of these starting to turn up at the higher amateur levels (NCAA, USHL, etc.) so while it is a trickle, they are getting some level of adoption at the highest levels of play.

Curious if any of you MLX skaters ever skated on Kor when they were available. Similarities/differences between them and Kor Shift 1 and/or Shift 2? Thanks.

A shell based skate, or composite boot skate is going to look odd - that's being polite. The MLX look more conventional than mine. I've heard f-ugly, gay, ski boot, rental skate, pos. etc. That is all true. I even use a buckle closure on my shells, which players think immediately is low-end.

To have pros on this skate is pretty darn good. That took some serious investment. Sometimes pros are the worst candidates. There are loyalties with established brands, and big $ contracts for the marquee guys. Some pros feel they have the most to loose, and often don't have the time, or can only try new equipment once a year. It's only when they start getting their a$$ kicked that gets change happening. At least that is typical in who we've dealt with (pro-waterskiing).

A more typical adopter of new tech is an emerging player with a savvy coach. Somebody has fit issues or injury and needs a full moldable solution, then finds out it's a performance advantage.

But hockey is a strange game - speed is good, but speed alone is not the be all and end all. You need everything.

Anyway, as soon as I do a couple of laps on these skates I'll know if they are superior to conventional. If they are good, I am probably going work to improve them.

This is my ultimate skate spec - which doesn't exist:

Carbon fiber and TPU (thermo polyurethane) shell

Fully three dimensionally heat moldable fit inside - and that includes the insole area & toe cavity

Adjustable shell height and volume

Adjustable tongue system

Buckle and strap closure, augmented by elastic cord lacing system - adjustable locations.

Aluminum/steel hybrid blade runner (saw this on Bauer TotalOne - good idea)

Carbon fiber thermoplastic holder - adjustable forward and back as well as side to side.

In chrome (lol)

"Carbon fiber thermoplastic holder" Didn't Easton try this with their first generation of skates? I recall it being way too stiff as well as needing a special skate holder to sharpen. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Any new discounts this week on MLX? End of year inventory sale.

Curious if any of you MLX skaters ever skated on Kor when they were available. Similarities/differences between them and Kor Shift 1 and/or Shift 2? Thanks.

Great question. I'd definitely be interested to know as well. One thing I can tell you just from reading the thread is that they aren't as wide as the Shift 1's or 2's. My feet are about 4.5" across at their widest point (approx 11.5cm based on a quick measure) and approximately 10.5 inches or 26.6cm long and I can fit into both Shift 1's and 2's - nothing custom was done, they're just the retail models. I don't think that would be the case with the standard MLX skates since goaliemanshark and others had width issues and my feet are actually a little wider than his and not much longer. Of course if I needed new skates and they'd make me a wider version for half the regular price like they are for goalieman I'd likely give them a go too. I just know that the stock versions wouldn't be wide enough based on the feedback so far.

I'd still love to know about other comparisons to KOR beyond width if anyone has used both.

Man these skates sure are tempting... especially with the all the positive fit reviews and 50% deal going on. Next thing I know all the coupon codes will be gone and they'll be $800 for good! Was contemplating some x60's or s17 but I may have to add these into the ring.

Keep the reviews coming guys!!

Same here. It's been a rough weekend, so I'm gonna try and get it back to them by the end of the week.

Won't buy them for $800, though (can't justify that at the moment), so I hope the 50% off coupon is still good.

I got an email back, basically saying that they want my mlx experience to be top notch and asked for pictures and measurements of my feet.

Same here. It's been a rough weekend, so I'm gonna try and get it back to them by the end of the week.

Won't buy them for $800, though (can't justify that at the moment), so I hope the 50% off coupon is still good.

It seems debeechman and goaliemanshark ordered first, found out they weren't wide enough and then emailed MLX and then were told to measure their feet and a wider skate would be produced, but if I'm undstanding correctly, you (tareatingrat) emailed before ordering and they agreed to do the same? If so, that's even better and is exactly what I would do if I was going to order. If you already know your feet are too wide why waste time having the standard width skates mailed and then have to ship them back, right? It'd make sense to have you order and pay first though, so how will that work? You use the order form and put some sort of comment or they're going to bill you?

I wouldn't want to pay $800 either...$400 isn't cheap, but it's much better. I'd be tempted myself, but still have too many KOR skates to justify purchasing any skates right now. That and the fact that I need a new job and have to control my spending are what's holding me back.Well, and the concern about finding extra steel/holders if MLX doesn't survive. I hope they do, but you never know (some NHL exposure is a positive sign, but it doesn't guarantee anything). The same could be said about finding the Pitch holders and steel I'm currently using, but I'm well stocked there.

Well, and the concern about finding extra steel/holders if MLX doesn't survive. I hope they do, but you never know (some NHL exposure is a positive sign, but it doesn't guarantee anything). The same could be said about finding the Pitch holders and steel I'm currently using, but I'm well stocked there.

Why is that a concern? Why couldn't you just put another pair of holders on them? A lot of the pros who were wearing MLX boots were still using their Tuuk holders. (Byguglien, Malkin, Talbot, Fedetenko)

Why is that a concern? Why couldn't you just put another pair of holders on them? A lot of the pros who were wearing MLX boots were still using their Tuuk holders. (Byguglien, Malkin, Talbot, Fedetenko)

Yes, you could put on another pair of holders, but you'd lose the ability to adjust them on the go. I suppose that isn't a big deal once you've already played around with them to figure out what position works best for you. I imagine that because they're adjustable there would also be more holes in them already than on "normal" skates so you may have to put epoxy on the holes if you're swapping holders. Also, if you're not doing it yourself there's also the cost of doing the swap. Plus, if you only need to replace the steel, but not the holder and no replacement steel is readily available then you have no choice, but to swap out both the holder and the steel.

Honestly, it's not a huge concern, but it is a minor consideration. The bigger concern is fit - if they're willing to build special wider skates for customers that need them that's definitely a plus. My only other concern with fit would be that my feet are probably slightly too long for 7's and fit in the low range of 8's. I could hope that the 7's would give me enough space or go for a less than ideal performance fit with the 8 and use the toe plug things. Either that or hope that they'd send not only a custom length, but width as well. I could see them doing that for pros, but to do that for the average consumer would be something else. Having said that, they do seem to be adressing special width issues so you never know.

I'm not knocking the skates at all. I haven't tried them, but they do seem to share some similarities with the KOR skates that I'm using now - they've also added the ability to adjust the holder and easily replace tongues and tendon guards. The fact that there are NHL players wearing them does lend them some additional credibility (of course if they don't fit me properly I don't care who else is wearing them). If I was in the market for new skates I'd certainly consider them, but that doesn't mean I don't have a few reservations.

I'm glad the people who have ordered them so far seem to be happy or are having their issues (like width) addressed by MLX.

Quick question for anyone who has the 7 or 8 MLX skates - What size are the holders? 272mm or another size?

Yes, you could put on another pair of holders, but you'd lose the ability to adjust them on the go. I suppose that isn't a big deal once you've already played around with them to figure out what position works best for you. I imagine that because they're adjustable there would also be more holes in them already than on "normal" skates so you may have to put epoxy on the holes if you're swapping holders. Also, if you're not doing it yourself there's also the cost of doing the swap. Plus, if you only need to replace the steel, but not the holder and no replacement steel is readily available then you have no choice, but to swap out both the holder and the steel.

MLX sells the holders separately as well.

http://mlxskates.com/skateparts.html

Well I was hoping this skate would solve all of my skate issues, such as mid foot pain, arch pain, big toe goes numb, ec. But it sounds like I am up shizzle creek since I use a deep instep and wide boot on a Graf skate. I really like the total molding feature, but if they aren't wide enough to get my foot in the boot before being baked, then I doubt they will stretch enough to be comfortable. I have a hell of a time with skates. They all feel like wearing a vice around my foot.

MLX sells the holders separately as well.

http://mlxskates.com/skateparts.html

Good to know. Since they're bolted on instead of rivited they'd be easy to replace yourself too. So if someone bought the skates and an extra set of holders and ever had an issue they could make the swap themselves easily enough. That does certainly alleviate that concern. It'd be nice to get extra steel too, but they'll likely add that eventually.