Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlackIce

Taping the toe of your blade

What brand & size tape do you use Cemetery? It looks wider than standard Renfrew tape.

Renfrew black/gold label 1.5 inch. Only place I've seen that carries it online is Total Hockey, I've never seen it in store anywhere.

I also tape the entire blade (including Toe) for protection. Since I started doing that, the blade has lasted much longer. Previously my toe chipped a lot as others mentioned.

I first tape Toe to heel, leaving the edge toe exposed.

For the Toe Edge/tip. I take one strip and cover 1/2 of it on front then fold it to cover back side. Then cut off the excess.

The toe tape doesn't last long, but my way is easy and protects.

I go heel to toe as well. For the toe, I take a strip of tape and cover the toe on the front leaving about half the tape over the very front of the toe, then I take a strip of tape and do the same to the back. The edges of the tape that hang over the toe stick to each other. I then do another strip right next to that and overlap of, leaving a half inch above and below the blade - front piece of tape sticks to the piece on the back. The same thing can be accomplished with a wider strip of tape if you have it. Cut off the tape hanging over the edges.

Then I go heel to toe. My overlaps are about 1/4 inch. Smooth out with a puck. Wax the shit out of if. I get about 3-4 games before I retape.

I'll try to take pics tonight since its time to retape.

Its funny that everyone only tapes the toe for either protection or looks when like any blade... taping is usually used for grip on the puck. Just in this case , all the way through the entire process of shooting and passing along the entire face of the blade.

Its funny that everyone only tapes the toe for either protection or looks when like any blade... taping is usually used for grip on the puck. Just in this case , all the way through the entire process of shooting and passing along the entire face of the blade.

I have always taped for both. Back in the old woodie days, a good full tape job prevented cracks in the lamination, and as you know when you get a crack in the lamination, water gets into the wood and it's downhill quick from there. So always tape toe and the bottom edge of the blade as that's what's going to scrape against the ice most.

Feel is the primary reason for me though, puck slides off the stick less. And it's damn near impossible for me to do a backhand toe drag consistently without any tape on the toe.

I have always taped for both. Back in the old woodie days, a good full tape job prevented cracks in the lamination, and as you know when you get a crack in the lamination, water gets into the wood and it's downhill quick from there. So always tape toe and the bottom edge of the blade as that's what's going to scrape against the ice most.

Feel is the primary reason for me though, puck slides off the stick less. And it's damn near impossible for me to do a backhand toe drag consistently without any tape on the toe.

Sorry my bad, should have stated all but one of you.

Ok here's the weapon of choice - I was reluctant to retape after a 4G/1A performance the other night but had to do it.

504b16fb1fa739706ec7c76a58a565d2.jpgbc55e40bfe07b1dbc0e4e4080ae0a296.jpg1fe23471fea0f1b5a209fc52403b999d.jpg76ee139fe5ecf7029185d48b0129e59e.jpg

And in case you curious the grip:

9dfbdedb46a2c2b303e03f169eb65ba9.jpg

I certainly can't make it pretty like that pic.

I do mine a little differently. Maybe it's overkill. I run a strip of tape along the bottom edge all the way along the bottom of the blade, over the toe, and a little onto the top of the blade. I then put a few wraps on going from the toe toward the heel. Then I tape the blade from the heel, overlapping the taped toe of the stick a little bit. I really don't notice any added wight or loss in feel/performance with the extra tape. It may not be pretty, but it definitely has kept my blades in good shape. In the 3-4 years I've used Composite blades/OPS, I've broken/badly damaged only one composite blade, and it was a freak play. I wish I could say the same for shafts.

I do it similarly--a strip along the bottom, over the toe, and stop just at the top.

I tear three small 2" long strips and fold them over the toe, then go heel to toe until I cover the ends of those strips, then wax.