Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

2010's Best value...

Comrie at 500k is a bargain.

If they use him on an offensive line, and he's productive, it is a bargain. If they put him on the fourth line, not so much.

If they use him on an offensive line, and he's productive, it is a bargain. If they put him on the fourth line, not so much.

Yeah, if he gets to play along side the Kid or Malkin, he should rack up 20+ goals.

IF, and it's a big "IF" due to Ranger's management, Derek Stepan makes the team this year, he is going to be one of, if not the best value player in the league this year. His preseason alone impressed the hell out of everyone.

Hemsky making a little over 4 mil

Poor guy is made of glass and gets hurt every year. When's he's on his game he's unreal.

Brian Elliot, 900k

You can actually make a case with Niemi. However he wouldn't be the player playing above his salary value.

Current, excluding those rookies (including Bobrovsky, Couture), there are a few choices:

Dustin Byfuglien

Ryan Kesler

Steven Stamkos

Im a sharks fan and I still wouldn't nominate Niemi. He had a great streak in the playoffs but has started to cool down. I think that he is a decent goalie, I just dont believe that he can be considered a goalie that plays above expectations. For the sharks I would say couture or clowe have been the biggest surprises. Stamkos would definitely be the best deal in the league IMO.

You can actually make a case with Niemi. However he wouldn't be the player playing above his salary value.

No you can't make a case for Niemi. He has under a .500 winning percentage and is being outplayed by someone making the same amount as him. So you can make a case for Nittmaki, but not for Niemi.

There are far better goalies getting paid way less...

Current, excluding those rookies (including Bobrovsky, Couture), there are a few choices:

Dustin Byfuglien

Ryan Kesler

Steven Stamkos

Stamkos is still on his rookie contract.

Pretty good article. Usually $ / production discussions are biased by excellent players on rookie contracts but they did a good job going beyond those obvious "deals".

From the first post...

Obviously, we should exclude rookies/entry level contract from the conversation as they have a Cap and all the good ones are making 875K (PK, Seguin, Hall etc...) but, who do you think will be the best "value" when you compare their contract to the potential stats they could put up? It might be interesting to look back at this next Mar/Apr and see if we can pick 'em as well (or better) than NHL GM's.

If you include entry level contracts Marchand is on the bottom of the list, but he is on there...

zirp6x.jpg

What's interesting is the list has only forwards, which makes sense since it seems to be based on points per dollars earned, but one would assume that a couple of d-men probably had similarly positive impacts on their teams, but just not with scoring.

How would you quantify value for a defense man?

There are three kinds of lies. Lies, damn lies and statistics. - Benjamin Disraeli

Stats don't tell the whole story and the whole story can't always be told with stats.

I think it's bogus argument to be completely honest. Some guys outperformed their contracts and others couldn't deliver what was expected of them. Goals prevented are just as important as goals scored but almost impossible to measure in any meaningful sense.

But for the sake of argument, I'll take Grabner. He gave Isles fans a reason to have hope for the future. He is the kind of guy that puts people in the building with his speed and skill. So not only did they get production from him, people paid to see him, bought jerseys and t-shirts with his name on them.