Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mug25

Checking in Non-Contact Leagues / Open Hockey

I agree, but I don't think too many people who've played for a significant amount of time confuse the two. Newbies, however, are a different story.

I hear it all the time from guys that have played since they were kids. More than anything, people think when they bump someone it's contact and when someone bumps them it's a check. Same goes for a "stick tap" vs a "slash" and on and on. Then again, I play in an area where people think the Broad Street Bullies played the game "the right way" and you don't take crap from anyone.

I wonder if some leagues would benefit from what we called "light check" in an over 30 league I played in. In the no check leagues we get a lot of guys doing all kinds of end to end skating with silly spin moves that would get them killed in a full contact league. In the "light contact" league it was easy enough to bump these guys off the puck without killing them. Essentially we could keep guys honest and ride guys off the puck along the boards but no full on hits at 90 degrees to the boards and no lining guys up in open ice. That league ended up being one of the cleanest leagues I ever played in. The notable exception being a guy that was and still is an NHL linesman.

I wonder if some leagues would benefit from what we called "light check" in an over 30 league I played in. In the no check leagues we get a lot of guys doing all kinds of end to end skating with silly spin moves that would get them killed in a full contact league. In the "light contact" league it was easy enough to bump these guys off the puck without killing them. Essentially we could keep guys honest and ride guys off the puck along the boards but no full on hits at 90 degrees to the boards and no lining guys up in open ice. That league ended up being one of the cleanest leagues I ever played in. The notable exception being a guy that was and still is an NHL linesman.

Would be great for guys like me who have/could to use their size and strength to their advantage. :D

Would be great for guys like me who have/could to use their size and strength to their advantage. :D

At 5'7" and 150lbs, I feel bad in the leagues that don't allow a ton of contact as I get to use my god given ability of speed, but they can't use their size. Doesn't seem quite right, but I do try to play as though people could hit me.

There's a core group of us at the drop-in's I go to, and we have a gentleman's agreement on what kind of hitting is allowed. Basically bumping someone off the puck in the zone and/or along the boards is cool. But the hit should just be enough to separate the player and the puck, the object isn't to level someone. But no big open ice hits, it's just to dangerous to be worth the risk for a game of drop-in hockey. For people that show up that aren't part of that core group, they don't get checked. There has to be some contact in hockey, just the nature of the game. Maybe if someone tries to just run straight at the goalie I might put a shoulder into them.

Isn't the first part the actual definition of checking? Hits and checks are separate and distinct in my mind.

I am apposed to people doing it in open hockey. In league, it's a little different. So long as it's clean on a play for the puck though, I'm generally not too cranky about it.

I get annoyed when I have the puck, pass it to someone, then someone comes and bumps into me after the puck is already gone from my posession. Is this only me?

How long after you've released the puck? Late hits suck, definitely something you can get upset about but the way I see it is — it gives me a good reason to get that guy back later on.

There is a significant amount of contact allowed in "Non-Checking" games which, as Chadd noted is a far cry from NO-CONTACT. Below are links to the vid on U-Tube.... Mods, if posting these links is an issue then please delete the links.

USAH Body Contact Part 1

This is what the guys that never played "real checking hockey" need to learn.... If it is No-Check then there's gonna be bumping, grinding, and angling (sometimes into the boards)... There should not be guys trying to blow each other up in open ice or making "bug on the windshield" type hits on the boards.... but sometimes an attitude adjustment message needs to be sent.... :rolleyes:

How long after you've released the puck? Late hits suck, definitely something you can get upset about but the way I see it is — it gives me a good reason to get that guy back later on.

Maybe a second or two later. Not like they don't know how to skate, but come on! Play the puck! And then, if I do get the guy back later on, they get upset cause they don't know why I did that to them.

There is a significant amount of contact allowed in "Non-Checking" games which, as Chadd noted is a far cry from NO-CONTACT. Below are links to the vid on U-Tube.... Mods, if posting these links is an issue then please delete the links.

USAH Body Contact Part 1

This is what the guys that never played "real checking hockey" need to learn.... If it is No-Check then there's gonna be bumping, grinding, and angling (sometimes into the boards)... There should not be guys trying to blow each other up in open ice or making "bug on the windshield" type hits on the boards.... but sometimes an attitude adjustment message needs to be sent.... :rolleyes:

Are those older videos, some of that stuff looks like it wouldn't fly with the new standards, assuming they claim to still be using them.

I wonder if some leagues would benefit from what we called "light check" in an over 30 league I played in. In the no check leagues we get a lot of guys doing all kinds of end to end skating with silly spin moves that would get them killed in a full contact league.

If they're over 30 and playing an no-check league, who cares if they would "get killed in a full contact league" ? Over 30 no-check leagues do not exist to prepare people for anything else.

I play in a no-checking roller league right now, I play defense so I will bump a guy a little or a little shove to the outside which is fair game because the league allows some contact. The only time I've thrown a hit in the league was 2 seasons ago. Our league uses 1 linesman and 1 ref and there was a forward on the other team who would take his time on the back check so that he could hack our DMen in the back of the legs behind the play without the refs seeing it, one shoulder to the chest as he crossed the blue line with his head down put a stop to the hacks.

I never aim to hit anyone. When playing D, if a younger guy my age or so that can handle the puck tries to blow by me, I'll close the gap and let him skate in to me, but I don't really offer any resistance other than it causing him to separate from, or lose the puck.

Skating for the puck in the corners, I won't hit anyone, but I won't back down either, I'll slam in to the boards, but not the other player. I've actually found this is usually how I get hit haha. Basically, I won't hit and try to avoid body contact, and I usually have my guard down. It's not always a good thing to have my guard down, because hockey's a contact sport no matter what. If it got to the point where I was getting hit repeatedly by someone and the refs weren't calling it, I'd probably lay them out if the opportunity presents itself. It's mens' league, there's no reason to intentionally take the body, and I feel if you need to dole it out, you'd better be able to take it as well.

If they're over 30 and playing an no-check league, who cares if they would "get killed in a full contact league" ? Over 30 no-check leagues do not exist to prepare people for anything else.

No, but they do exist to allow folks that have to go to work in the morning the opportunity to play. The majority of the folks that played in the league I mentioned all played at collegiate level or better. Unfortunately in no-check leagues we still get those that make moves that would get them hurt in full contact leagues.

Head down spin-o-rama moves for instance. If we could bump them off the puck they'd quit with the BS and play the game. The problem exists with those that don't get the difference between bumping an idiot off the puck and taking a run at someone just because you can.

I personally play a physical game but have no desire to hurt those around me. I also have to work in the morning and can't afford o be out for 2 weeks because some idiot boarded me or blind sided me and injured me.

It is easy enough to break up the high school moves with a simple poke check or just simply holding the guy up without the need for a "light check". If some guy's high school moves are bothering you that much then simply show him you don't appreciate it and take your two minute break.

No, but they do exist to allow folks that have to go to work in the morning the opportunity to play. The majority of the folks that played in the league I mentioned all played at collegiate level or better. Unfortunately in no-check leagues we still get those that make moves that would get them hurt in full contact leagues.

So? It isn't a full contact league. They're never going to play in a full contact league again. Bump 'em off the puck or come in fast and take the puck before they can react. If they're as out of it as you say, that shouldn't be too hard.

Basically, suck it up and accept that you're in a men's league, not the NHL.

So? It isn't a full contact league. They're never going to play in a full contact league again. Bump 'em off the puck or come in fast and take the puck before they can react. If they're as out of it as you say, that shouldn't be too hard.

Basically, suck it up and accept that you're in a men's league, not the NHL.

That's exactly my point about allowing light contact and light checking. It's possible to play the body without full on checking. The no contact leagues I've been in tend to be much dirtier than he leagues that allow us to ride someone of the puck.

That's exactly my point about allowing light contact and light checking. It's possible to play the body without full on checking. The no contact leagues I've been in tend to be much dirtier than he leagues that allow us to ride someone of the puck.

The problem with saying "light checking" is that everyone will have a different definition. Body contact implies that the focus is still on playing the puck while any type of checking implies that the contact is the focus and the puck is not. If you say that you allow some checking, it will get out of hand from time to time. Better to have full checking or no checking so there is no confusion.

What are everyones thoughts on dealing with guys that routinely go between their legs with their head in their feet or try to pull a move by putting the puck between yours? I let it slide the first time, the next the puck gets knocked off your stick with a verbal warning to knock the harlem globetrotter crap off, and third time they end up on their back

Let them try, because even though I'm only have 1.5 years of playing under my belt I've played enough street hockey to know how to disrupt the move, intercept the puck, and pass it to my better teammates for a score, then chirp at the player =)

Chadd, I've played in a few 'light checking' games and my current league is 'light checking' and I agree that the definition varies. To some people a light check is still enough to knock the wind out of somebody or bounce their heads off of the glass.

What's intended by the phrase (in my opinion) is that you're allowed to bump people off of the puck, and don't have to grind to a halt just because someone's skated into your path. I'm not sure where the fine line between a 'light' check and a 'real' check is. It's like the definition of a 'bump,' which is what I consider a light check to be, a bump.

What are everyones thoughts on dealing with guys that routinely go between their legs with their head in their feet or try to pull a move by putting the puck between yours? I let it slide the first time, the next the puck gets knocked off your stick with a verbal warning to knock the harlem globetrotter crap off, and third time they end up on their back

If you've got to resort to a body check to bust up a Crosby shootout move, or a spin-a-rooney you deserve to let the guy beat you on it. I've never been a physical player and I played defense for most of my life. Poke checks, stick lifts/traps, and picking the pocket of showboaters is what makes a solid defensemen solid. Being able to hit like a mack truck is secondary to good defensive stickwork. That's why my stick is a good 2-3" longer than it's supposed to be, because I use it a LOT.

People want to showboat in a drop-in, that's fine. You want to embarass them, that's fine, but do it without lowering the shoulder. If you REALLY feel the need to be imposing, just stay between them and the goal, and make yourself dead weight. Don't use 'he had his head down every time he skated up the ice' or 'you could never pull that off in REAL hockey' as excuses to be a goon.

When you have a guy that played D3 college hockey playing in a low level beer league for guys that can't skate, he deserves to get drilled every time he tries that stuff. Play where you belong and showing off doesn't become a problem.

After being a recipient of a guy's check in a non-check league that ended with me tearing my ACL, no I don't see the place for it. Yes I understand that this is hockey and there will be some contact but blatantly checking someone is uncalled for when no one is getting paid to play. Honestly, when I try to talk adults into playing that is one of their biggest concerns is that what they see on TV is what happens in leagues. We are a small market for hockey so I can understand why they would think that way.

Are those older videos, some of that stuff looks like it wouldn't fly with the new standards, assuming they claim to still be using them.

That's the same video we are using in our level 1 and 2 seminars.... IMHO there are a few examples that could be considered "questionable"..... The body contact might be legal but there should be a penalty for something else. It's pretty good if you take it for what it's intended to be and don't over analyze it.

I dunno about the rest of you, but I "expect" contact in certain situations (like along the boards, in front of the net, or in the corners). When it doesn't happen than it does sort of mess with me.... Too many years of playing I guess.

I DO hate it when I take a hipcheck on the side of the knee in no check.... usually happens when the D instinctively reacts and I'm a bit slow stepping around him.... Did I mention that I've lost a few steps in the past 20 years?