Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CBJ

For those of you that work in HS

I was just curious, for those of you who have worked in a hockey store for the past year or more, has the lockout been affecting sales for your store? If so, is it significant?

Btw, I don't know that this is the proper section for this thread...so I apologize in advance if that is the case.

I think it's been helping ours because we don't sell any name brand equipment. Alot of people aren't seeing many new pieces of equipment, especially since the RBK stuff isn't out and really the only hockey in the city is AHL.

Very few pro's shop at our store, so we didnt really lose that business.

kids will still play, and our shops even doing better than this time last year. maybe licensed gear will take a hit, buti dont see it having significant impact

My friend was talking the only problem he might have is when the XXX and RBK stuff comes out. Since people won't be seeing it on pros (we don't have a local AHL team unless you cound the phantoms, and no one cares about the titans) that he might have a problem selling that stuff. But other than that he's had no sort of dropoff in sales.

our situation is same as joe hockey..........

finding with this lockout people are actually goin back to their roots and playin to get their fix. its good to see. there was a short thing on SportsNet last week that hockey in canada has never been stronger..... from a playing prospective

My store is in the same situation as Joe's and Mint's. My store opened in July 2003 though, so it was expected to do much better this year... people used to us being in that rink, thinking of shopping at my store before the local competition, building up our sharpening/contouring/service reputation... but I'm pleased, and a little surprised, at how well we're doing. My store is one in a chain of 7, and a couple of our bigger stores are down, but some others are up, so in all, I'd say we're probably at break-even, which is much better than most of our competitors. Pants, helmets, and skates are moving well... gloves and protective to a lesser degree... and licensed gear sales are almost nonexistent. One of our shops is in the Wings' practice rink (they might skate there once or twice a month) and we usually sell a lot of jerseys, apparel, and ministicks when they're there... not this year though.

Also of note, participation in the Detroit area is down again this year.

I was just curious, for those of you who have worked in a hockey store for the past year or more, has the lockout been affecting sales for your store? If so, is it significant?

Btw, I don't know that this is the proper section for this thread...so I apologize in advance if that is the case.

What strike? :rolleyes:

I would say there hasn't ben much of a difference, Ottawa is still a hockey town, still tons of kids playing. It's hard to evaluate though because we just moved our store and improved the hockey section quite a bit.

Yea on the southside of Chicago there really hasn't been a drop off because there is still a big hockey community with youth and high school teams especially schools in the caltholic league

Yea on the southside of Chicago there really hasn't been a drop off because there is still a big hockey community with youth and high school teams especially schools in the caltholic league

Chicago is a great hockey town. Played out in the burbs quite a bit. Can't imagine the Chicago area shops taking too big of a hit because of the strike.

Chicago is a great hockey town. Played out in the burbs quite a bit. Can't imagine the Chicago area shops taking too big of a hit because of the strike.

People don't pay much attention to the Hawks anymore anyway.

Yea ,but a lot of people really care about the Wolves that come into my store

Yea ,but a lot of people really care about the Wolves that come into my store

Where do you work at?