Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

camhockey16

Forsberg retires

I'm cant understand why is there a problem when he's been employed in the US for over 10 years.. Surely he lived there long enough to apply for dual citizenship?

His previous visa expired, he needs a new one. Yesterday he wasn't sure when he was going to be ready to play anyway, not sure why this is such a big deal.

I'm cant understand why is there a problem when he's been employed in the US for over 10 years.. Surely he lived there long enough to apply for dual citizenship?

I've lived in the States since 2000 (on Visa's and a Green Card) and I haven't applied for dual citizenship. I play with a guy from England who got his citizenship a couple years ago. Everyone makes a decision based on their situation. Time in the country has little to do with it.

Assuming he's on the ice by then.

According to Swedish news he'll play against Columbus. If not, they play in SJ again on March 1st so it's no big deal.

I've lived in the States since 2000 (on Visa's and a Green Card) and I haven't applied for dual citizenship. I play with a guy from England who got his citizenship a couple years ago. Everyone makes a decision based on their situation. Time in the country has little to do with it.

Time in a country has everything to do with it, I don't know what the time-scale in the US is but in most EU countries have a required time of residence of 3 years, 5 years or even longer before you can apply to be a citizen of that country.

Time in a country has everything to do with it, I don't know what the time-scale in the US is but in most EU countries have a required time of residence of 3 years, 5 years or even longer before you can apply to be a citizen of that country.

I think he means that even if he can apply, doesn't mean he wants to.

I think he means that even if he can apply, doesn't mean he wants to.

Yep. I don't know Forsberg's exact situation but if he spent last year in Sweden, the clock may have reset as well.

I'd be curious to know if this was a real hurdle to his joining the team or just an off-hand comment to a reporter that got blown into a full story. I would think the Av's/Kroenke Sports Enterprises would have immigration lawyers on retainer.

I have to admit that I'm excited. We can't expect huge things from him but I always loved that player and am happy that he's giving it another try and hopefully it will work out for him and the Avs.

17:38, -2, 1 shot. I didn't think he'd play that much. I figured 12-14 to start. He was on with Heijduk and Duschene. Sacco had him on the ice as the extra man at the end of the game looking for the tie.

17:38, -2, 1 shot. I didn't think he'd play that much. I figured 12-14 to start. He was on with Heijduk and Duschene. Sacco had him on the ice as the extra man at the end of the game looking for the tie.

Looked much better than I expected. That moment early in the first where he drove through Nash along the boards, driving off of his RIGHT foot was one to make you hopeful. Evidence of what the league consensus is: The Nash line was sent out against his line all night long, and the Blackhawks apparently have a scout dedicated to Forsberg for the rest of the season. I see a post-season rental coming up. Not sure how I feel about that. I was hoping this was the short road to retirement in an Avs jersey.

Gotta give him a few games to get back in game shape. The guys are 50 games in the season, he's played two. Practices are one thing, playing in a real game is another. Give him another 3 games or so and we should start to see a big improvement.

There's no way he doesn't play tonights game at home. Signed on for 2 road games? Really? Even if he think's he cant go at 80% or better, play one for the home fans.

Title should say: Forsberg retires not re-re-re-retires as he's never retired before. He just stepped away from the game in order to try and address his foot problems.

It's sad that his career had to end this way and not on his own terms.

Well, it's as it should be. In an Avs jersey.

I have to say I'm surprised, though. He looked better than I expected the last couple of games, despite the stat lines. Didn't look fast, but went through traffic and came out of corners with the puck more often than not. Some inspired set ups that were just never put away, and some great, great chemistry with Hejduk.

The over/under for consecutive games was three, should have taken the under.

Even though it isn't surprising, it's still a disappointment that he isn't able to play at a high level again. Happy to see that he is being honest with himself and calling it quits and not just cashing checks. I believe the rest of the contract still counts against the cap though.

The over/under for consecutive games was three, should have taken the under.

Even though it isn't surprising, it's still a disappointment that he isn't able to play at a high level again. Happy to see that he is being honest with himself and calling it quits and not just cashing checks. I believe the rest of the contract still counts against the cap though.

with the Avs being just over the cap floor, doesn't make a difference. I was hoping for a much better outcome like at least seeing him play through the rest of the season and playoffs if the Avs are to make it. Like you said, at least he's honnest and wasn't there just to collect a paycheck.