Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

camhockey16

Forsberg retires

Speaking of ill informed and unpersuasive, when the subject of what you call a "dive" has had a minimum of 10 surgeries on one ankle and many surgeries on the other, the instance of actual dives is in all probability miniscule. Now that we know how bad those ankles were going back more than seven years, to continue to call Forsberg a diver shines quite a klieglight on your own character. A pathetic spectacle it is.

When people bemoan a Forsberg comeback or focus on Crosby's "whining" rather than his whole game, it's hard not to see them as motivated more by team fan-dom or self manufactured villian hatred rather than appreciation of the game itself. Last time Forsberg touched NHL ice he put up 14 points in 9 games, playing on a clearly hobbled body. The only player in the league this year scoring at that clip is, coincidentally, Crosby. Let's take off the blinders, see how this plays out, and enjoy excellence in the game wherever we find it.

Noone is denying Forsberg's talent or ability. With his health issues, it is time to give it up. He just can't be the player that he was and stay in the lineup. This time he's playing the sentimental card by latching onto the Avs.

As for his diving, there is a reason that many folks referred to him as "Floppa". That doesn't mean he wasn't one of the best two-way players in the game, it just means that he went down a little too easy a little too often.

Although my user name can be taken as a bias, Forsberg is incredible. The guy has the heart of a lion. The amount of injuries he's endured is incredible and I think if he feels he is possibly good to give it another go in this league, how dare we question him. In my opinion he'll go down as one of the toughest and most passionate players in the game. "Diving" is an objective thing. We've all seen the beating he's taken over his career, which unfortunately led to extensive recoveries and leaves of absence. But he always fought his way back through injuries that most other players would have just called it quits after. Peter's own response to his skeptics the other day was something to the effect of "People are calling me stupid but so what, I love hockey and I want to play." I dont think any of us on this board can hold that against the man. I watched his last NHL comeback and a guy that basically could not move around on the ice scored 14 points in 9 games in the midst of a late season playoff push. I agree with everything Psh said. Let the guy make the effort if he feels hes capable and enjoy his talents while we can, because you dont come across a Peter Forsberg every day.

Let's take off the blinders, see how this plays out, and enjoy excellence in the game wherever we find it.

As opposed to those who have blinders than can't admit their favorite players might not be perfect? I hope to hell he comes back and is able to play at a high level again, and I've never said otherwise. I just think it's important to see all sides of a situation.

As opposed to those who have blinders than can't admit their favorite players might not be perfect? I hope to hell he comes back and is able to play at a high level again, and I've never said otherwise. I just think it's important to see all sides of a situation.

Fair enough. As they say, none of us is as smart as all of us. And that is exactly the benefit of boards like this.

I think that the Avs can be hopeful for him to be able to play at decent level and help the team in different aspects of the game on and off the ice. Last year in the Swedish Elite League he put up 30 points in 23 games which is actually quite good. I don't think we can expect him to have more than one point a game in the NHL this year but at the same time it wouldn't be that far fetched to think he could at least have a point per until the end of the season if his foot problems are a thing of the past or at least manageable. There is only a 4 point difference between the 8th place (Colorado) and 4th place (Nashville). IMO, Forsberg, again if healthy enough, could certainly play a big role in the Avs making or missing the playoffs.

That's great that he put up a bunch of points in 23 games. The problem is that he played only 23 games out of the 55 game SEL season. He can't stay healthy.

I think that the Avs can be hopeful for him to be able to play at decent level and help the team in different aspects of the game on and off the ice. Last year in the Swedish Elite League he put up 30 points in 23 games which is actually quite good. I don't think we can expect him to have more than one point a game in the NHL this year but at the same time it wouldn't be that far fetched to think he could at least have a point per until the end of the season if his foot problems are a thing of the past or at least manageable. There is only a 4 point difference between the 8th place (Colorado) and 4th place (Nashville). IMO, Forsberg, again if healthy enough, could certainly play a big role in the Avs making or missing the playoffs.

I'd like to see him be successful as well, but Mats Z. was top in points last year, and he's just come up from the AHL to the Rangers recently.

In my more realistic, perhaps cynical, moments, I assume that this is primarily a business decision, with competition being secondary. It seems that the Avs have had a precipitous drop off in ticket sales since breaking up the Stanley Cup winning core and Sakic's retirement. Adding Forsberg would undoubtedly generate buzz and sell tickets and jerseys. Making a playoff run or having some of Forsberg's playmaking instincts or two way discipline rub off on the the younger, and admittedly tremendously skilled, players would be a boon, but the team can't count on that.

I bet ownership sees this as a marketing investment and as a way to get Forsberg back in the fold so he can retire properly. There's a sense of tying up loose ends here. When Foote and Forsberg were let go, it didn't seem to be handled very well. Foote, especially, seemed upset. They have him taken care of and can now do something similar with Forsberg. Any competitive advantage that comes of it is cream. Let's face it, with the Avs D and goaltending issues, even a Forsberg in his prime isn't taking this team to a Cup. Given how young the team is, ownership and management probably see any potential downside, from locker room distraction or disruption in chemistry, as being short lived and minimal.

Forsberg is one of the best to ever play the game and he just want to end it on his own terms. I hope he can make it back one last time and last the season out because he, if any, deserve it!

I'd like to see him be successful as well, but Mats Z. was top in points last year, and he's just come up from the AHL to the Rangers recently.

You can't compare an NHLer who's proven he could play at that level with a rookie. Z looks like he has talent and potential and will develop into something good but you cannot compare him to Forsberg. The last time Forsberg played in the NHL with his bad foot he managed to have a one point per game ratio and close to a one point per in the playoffs also. Plus we've seen so many AHLers dominate at that level but unable to keep it up at the NHL level.

You can't compare an NHLer who's proven he could play at that level with a rookie. Z looks like he has talent and potential and will develop into something good but you cannot compare him to Forsberg. The last time Forsberg played in the NHL with his bad foot he managed to have a one point per game ratio and close to a one point per in the playoffs also. Plus we've seen so many AHLers dominate at that level but unable to keep it up at the NHL level.

I was just comparing production in SEL, not NHL, AHL, experience, age, foot problems, etc. Sure, if you factor all that in, you can make different conclusions.

I would like to know what's different this time around with Forsberg - anybody have an idea? Just motivated maybe?

I was just comparing production in SEL, not NHL, AHL, experience, age, foot problems, etc. Sure, if you factor all that in, you can make different conclusions.

I would like to know what's different this time around with Forsberg - anybody have an idea? Just motivated maybe?

I believe he came back past mid-season in the Swedish Elite after his foot felt fine. I believe that this year he worked more on testing his foot without joining a European team so he could attempt a comeback in the NHL if his foot was holding up as I'm sure he knew that if he played in Europe it would prevent him from signing with the team he wanted as ultimatly he would more than likely have been picked off waivers like Nabokov did. He asked the Avs if he could come and pratice with them in order to know if he was still in good enough shape to keep up with NHL guys. If he can, he will sign a contract with Colorado. I think that it goes without saying that if he is working out with them, it means that both he and the team are interested in working something out. This is how I view this whole "saga". I haven't read that anywhere and am not making this up and trying to sell this as facts. It's just what I think is how things have unfolded for him. I'm pretty sure this has been planned for a while but no announcement had been made just in case things would not have gone the way they wanted them to.

When you think about it, it makes perfect sense for the Avs to at least give Forsberg a try out and then sign him to a contract, whatever that contract may be. I don't think that Forsberg will be too greedy under the circumstances and I'm sure a great many number of fans in Colorado will be thrilled if not only for nostalgia's sake. He will be a great marketing tool IMO, at leat for the time it will last. Personaly, I hope that if he comes back he stays healthy and helps the Avs secure a playoff spot. As it's been said before, I think he at least deserves to go out on his own terms and I'm not saying that he's the only one deserving of that.

Edited some spelling/syntax.

I get the impression he knows he's running out of time.. I think this is it now, all or nothing, go for broke.

Just a reminder:

9. Post a link to large pictures or stories instead of posting them. Large pics can take a long time to download for those without high speed connections and stories can't be reprinted without permission of the author or publisher.

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Forsberg signed a contract with the Avs for the remainder of the season. Probably won't play against Phoenix tomorrow and there is no mention on when he will play his first game but will travel with the team this week.

Oh boy, how many games until he hurts himself...? It will be good to have Hejduk and Foppa play together again. Hejduk Duchene Forsberg?

Don't even say that! He has to make it to the 19th when they play the Sharks!

Don't even say that! He has to make it to the 19th when they play the Sharks!

Assuming he's on the ice by then.