Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flyers10

Forward stride: Parallel track or leg under

I watched the videos and consciously gave the parallel tracking a try. I normally do a full recovery and am pretty smooth. Much to my surprise, I was quicker to the puck even though I felt choppier. Will keep this in mind the next few sessions I play.

I watched the videos and consciously gave the parallel tracking a try. I normally do a full recovery and am pretty smooth. Much to my surprise, I was quicker to the puck even though I felt choppier. Will keep this in mind the next few sessions I play.

I tried the same and I felt a bit quicker to the puck as well in the open ice.

I also spent a lot of time watching the NHLers from my upper level behind the goal seats. They seem to all wide track it.

I know Laura Stamm advocates bringing the stride leg under to essentially the center point of the body. But Robby Glantz shows railroad track mechanics in his videos. I would have to check but I think the premise was that even by bringing it under you don't transfer to your inside edge for push off until the foot is in the railroad position anyway.

But if you learn to use the outside edge of the returning foot to stride with, that point becomes moot, and you skate even faster.

Same results for me. It's definitely not as pretty, which I find hard to switch to (haha), but the quick and constant acceleration is definitely noticeable.

But if you learn to use the outside edge of the returning foot to stride with, that point becomes moot, and you skate even faster.

You'll have to explain in more detail or post a video, because I haven't ever heard of anyone talk of using the outside edge like this.

You'll have to explain in more detail or post a video, because I haven't ever heard of anyone talk of using the outside edge like this.

Watch speed skating...it easier to see: Watch when they shoot directly in front or behind. Interstingly, if you watch the start (sprint) they wide track for the first 50 or 60 meteres.

It's a smaller stride, to picture it, imagine drawing a line on the ice where the blade makes contact. With this method the blade will make an elongated oval, as opposed to a straight line with a gap at the end of the stride to where the striding foot is returned once the stride is complete.

Yeah, I just misunderstood what was said. I thought you were implying somehow using the outside edge to push. While that may generate more speed in the long run, I don't see it helping as much in hockey. I'd be curious to see a breakdown of stride type for a shift or partial shift. I imagine most would look something like:

3 acceleration strides

glide

stop

lateral steps into a couple acceleration strides

crossovers

glide

accelerate

finish check (stop)

I don't think there would be much 100 foot long uninterupted striding.

I wish I had learned to skate more efficiently like Zebra describes.

Whenever I've had some time off, my quads and rear end always ache and I'm laboring to skate at times