Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jjtt99

Visor Help

Hi folks.

Well the wife is out of town so I'm going to try a visor instead of my usual bird cage. (Not to mention I've been doing some casual refereeing so I've been taking the cage off and going with no eye protection...yikes!)

I've searched this forum and learned quite a bit. For instance Oakley seems to be more popular, but I've got a bunch of questions.

1. I notice some visors have ventilation holes around the top, do they make a difference?

2. Are nose cuts better? (Again, I'm thinking about the fog factor.)

3. Are visors a "you get what you pay for" type of item as I notice a wide range of prices?

4. Some visors are "certified" safety approved and some are not. On the surface it seems better to go with a certified one, but when you look at the prices it makes you wonder are they all close to being the same and the certified ones had to pay big bucks to get them tested by a fancy testing organization?

5. Any other tips? I'm likely going to buy a new helmet as well so I can wear the cage when I play in my chippy league, but I can switch to the visor when I play friendly pick up or ref.

Thanks!

JJ

4. Some visors are "certified" safety approved and some are not. On the surface it seems better to go with a certified one, but when you look at the prices it makes you wonder are they all close to being the same and the certified ones had to pay big bucks to get them tested by a fancy testing organization?

Certification in visors has nothing to do with fancy testing. Certified visors are permanently affixed to the front two bolts in the helmet which prevent the visor from shifting up or in over the course of a game. If someone high sticks you and hits the visor, the non-certified one will more than likely be moved up and out of place while the certified visor will hold it's ground because it's permanently attached in place to the visor.

I'll try and find a picture of a certified and non-certified one. Frankly, I don't think it really matters, I play with a non-certified ITech visor and it's not a big deal at all, just make sure the bolts on the side of the helmet which hold the visor in place are tightened down well enough.

Here are pictures of certified and non-certified visors, take note of the top of each visor:

certified:

94-2373.jpg

non-certified:

4-190.jpg

1. The big difference is that some attach at the top and others don't. The ones that attach at the top won't slip down and cut you across the nose if you're in a scrum.

2. Nose cuts generally reduce the fogging. I have the Oakley straight small and I have no fogging issues at all.

3. Generally, yes. The Oakley and Itech HS22 are far better than the Itech RBE 1.

4. Certified visors attach at the top as well as the sides. All of the Oakleys are the same price as far as I remember.

5. If you find the visor is pulling the sides of the helmet, you may want to get some longer screws and some washers to use as spacers.

certified visors do not necessarily attach to the front of the helmet. certified means they have been tested and passed the CSA or HECC requirements for visors. The requirement include such things as penetration, impact and facial coverage, among other things. Generally the Pro Style visor do not meet standards based on the facial coverage and penetration.

I would recommend an Itech. They have a much broader selection of certified and non-certified. They are also the market leader in facial protection. Plus there a reason why the Canadian Hockey League has worn itech for the past 15 years.

Length also has to do with it.

That Oakley Straight Vent shield is not certified.

The only Oakley certified shield is the direct replacement to the full-face visor.

Thanks for the advice...very helpful as always. Now I'm armed with good information when I visit my LHS.

Oh by the way, which visor will help me score more goals??? :D

I also wanna ditch the birdcage. Are there any advantages to a straightcut? I recently got a itech Pro Wave for a gift & was wondering if I should exchange it for straight. They seem to be more popular around here.

I have an 1Xcel straight cut visor that I use for drop-in. I see pretty well with it but it does move when someone or something comes into contact with it.

I had a Leader visor that attached on the sides of my helmet. It was nose cut a bit, but it still came down past my nose fogged (mostly on acount of the sport glasses I wear when I play). I got an Itech Pro Wave and it is a lot better but it still fogs a bit. I find the glasses still fog more than the visor, but it definately better, so I'd say yeah the nose cut has made a diference...

My 1xcel doesn't fog up at all. You can see your breath if you breath on it, but it goes away instantly.

There is a special spray for Oakley/1xcel visors, but I saw that the Itechs are an Oakley product as well. The guy at the store told me that a regular antifog spray is fine for them, but should I be using the Oakele/1xcel stuff on it instead?

There is a special spray for Oakley/1xcel visors, but I saw that the Itechs are an Oakley product as well.

When did that happen? Last I heard Oakley had a lawsuit pending against Itech.

Again, thanks for all the advice. This is what I bought:

- Itech HC 95 Helmet

(it seems Itech buckets are good for those of us with pointy heads)

- Itech HX 50 Visor

I used them this morning and all was good! Fog wasn't an issue, but sweat was -- that is until I went to the locker room and got a towel to give it a quick wipe between shifts. Seems to do the trick.

I also bought a new mouth guard -- gag. But let me do a search on that or start a new thread if it hasn't been covered already.

Cheers,

JJ

There is a special spray for Oakley/1xcel visors, but I saw that the Itechs are an Oakley product as well.

When did that happen? Last I heard Oakley had a lawsuit pending against Itech.

Never heard about that.

Chadd - I think you're confusing Itech with THC. That lawsuit was thrown out however.

I'll have to double check wheh I get home, but Im pretty sure the UPC code on the packging said Oakley on it. I'll scan/pic it if I find the tag.

it got settled, Oakley has tons of patents and loves to defend them.

At least it isn't the garbage "business process" patent that seems to be the craze right now. Patent licensing is usually good for everyone, including consumers.

Here is what the sticker on the box says:

"This product incorporates XYZ Optics technology, patented and licensed by Oakley Inc."

So, I re-new my original question...should I be using the Oakley specific visor fog spray or will a regular one be okay...will using the "wrong" spray damage the mask?