Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beaucoup_fish

Older Mission Gear

There seem to be a few people that absolutely love Mission's Pre '02 gear (the Amp series of skates, Warp gloves etc.). I always thought that Mission's ice gear before the Pure Fly's were crap, maybe except for women, since Mission is one of the only manufacturers to make skates just for women...was their gear any good back then or is it just my inability to accept the new school?

Just as a sidebar, I remember when skates were all made in Canada...my Bauer Supreme 3000s have held out a long time, I hope my S500s last me at least a couple years...anyone know which skates are still made in Canada?

Z-Air, Vector Pro, Pro Tacks. Everything else is made overseas.

Does that include the new Synergy skates and all Bauer skates as well?

There seem to be a few people that absolutely love Mission's Pre '02 gear (the Amp series of skates, Warp gloves etc.). I always thought that Mission's ice gear before the Pure Fly's were crap, maybe except for women, since Mission is one of the only manufacturers to make skates just for women...was their gear any good back then or is it just my inability to accept the new school?

Mission's ice hockey stuff have always been good as far as I know.

I have both Mission PureFly and Flyweights skates. The PureFly are

lighter than the Flyweights and a bit less stiffer. Well, stiff were

needed. The Flyweights (like the entire Amp series) are bombproof.

The quality has always been very good and it is getting better.

The problem is rather on the roller side. The pre02 stuff were really

good, 2001-1999 were the best years in my opinion. The 02 skates

had crappy vibes but the boots were ok. The 03 and 04 dna skates

sucked both in the materials used and design, except for the d1c and

d1 chassis.

The 2000 Proto VSI was the best roller skates ever in my opinion.

Solid and stiff boot, bombproof chassis. Not to mention the look with

the big evil M. The wicked lites were super stiff and super light, as light

as He950s or not very far. The carbon chassis may not be as resistant

as the aluminum ones, but I've never seen somebody having problem

with them.

With the Proto VR or VI you could buy a super good skate with a solid

boot and a fully extruded 6000 series chassis for like 200-249 bucks.

I don't think it's an old vs. new school problem. I really have the

impression that Mission is trying hard to go big on ice, but they are

cutting cost on the roller side.

Like carmakers, I really hope that they re-introduce the Proto VSI

someday.

I was actually probably the biggest fan of the Mission 3 Finger Gloves, they fit great and felt even better for the style of game I was playing a while back. The other stuff I didn't care about.

The original Mission ice skates weren't so flash - the Amp 2,4,6 and 8's. They took forever to break in, and the backs ripped out far too easily. The following models seemed pretty good though - the Amp 3's, 1's and Flyweights.

I kind of liked it when Mission was only really known for Roller. Since the ice product started catching up it seems the roller has went down hill a little. But I will always skate in Misson roller blades tell I die.

My son used 3 different Mission inline skates almost exclusively from 97 - 99(feet were growing rapidly) and had durability problems with the last 2 models(I believe once they started making them overseas the QC went down for a while), as well as the fact they gave him terrible blisters on his upper ankles....he has never gone back since. He had the Team VSI skates in 97 and I mounted a Labeda HiLo chassis on them about 2 months before Mission offered the same basic skate that summer....would definitely have been somewhat less expensive to buy the assembly direct if we had waited....... <_<

I liked the Amp Flywieghts and the Warp 4 gloves. I never got to try out the holders on the Flywight since i had TUUK+ and Cobras put on them.

Just as a sidebar, I remember when skates were all made in Canada...my Bauer Supreme 3000s have held out a long time, I hope my S500s last me at least a couple years...anyone know which skates are still made in Canada?

I love missions old gloves. I have a set of Warp 4's that are about 3.5 years old, I've had em repalmed twice and they look like they're ready to fall apart, but for the price I have never found a glove as comfortable as these.