Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TeamBlue96

MSH Roller Hockey Jam?

Hey guys....not sure if this belongs here (if there's a better place, i apologize). :unsure:

First -- i'm glad that there's a site like this with such a deep and dedicated fan/reader base. It's encouraging to know there are so many people passionate about hockey like this. I see the annual skate/meets at XYZ hockey rink and i'm wondering if you guys do anything like this on the roller end?

I know this site has more ice based guys than roller, but roller is a forever growing sport.

Anyone/mods have any interest in organizing something like this?

if you're some ice hockey snob who frowns upon roller-- please save the insults and don't reply. I myself play both!

Thanks!

I play both as well and would be interested in a Roller Hockey Jam where you could see the new wheels, frames, pants ect. specific to roller, but the mods involved with Winterfest and SummerJams already have a lot on their plates so I don't know if it'd be feasible to add another event.

I think the only way it might work would be to combine it with a SummerJam weekend - say have the ice event on the Saturday followed by the roller event on a Sunday or vice versa. Some members could participate in one event or the other and some could participate in both. Everyone could still hang out together outside of the events. It'd be a lot of extra work though so it's a lot to ask, but there's no harm in putting it out there.

Oh, and I don't know if saying, "roller is a forever growing sport" is entirely accurate. That's coming from a guy who really enjoys roller. I started playing in the mid-90s and it's definitely no where near as popular now as it was then, at least in my area. I've seen a decline in interest, however; I do hope it's growing elsewhere and hope it gains popularity here again.

For someone who played collegiate inline, I wouldn't call myself a roller "snob." Now you're insulting me LOL...

Never really thought about the roller aspect; as Anthony said, these two events occupy 10 months of my life. I am not opposed to it though.

I play both as well and would be interested in a Roller Hockey Jam where you could see the new wheels, frames, pants ect. specific to roller, but the mods involved with Winterfest and SummerJams already have a lot on their plates so I don't know if it'd be feasible to add another event.

I think the only way it might work would be to combine it with a SummerJam weekend - say have the ice event on the Saturday followed by the roller event on a Sunday or vice versa. Some members could participate in one event or the other and some could participate in both. Everyone could still hang out together outside of the events. It'd be a lot of extra work though so it's a lot to ask, but there's no harm in putting it out there.

The meetup doesn't have to be official; maybe just a rink rental one weekend somewhere to play for a few hours. Official would be nice, but yes, i know folks are crazy busy with everything. Maybe the first few times it's off the record until there is a real strong following and opportunity for someone to really get this going.

Oh, and I don't know if saying, "roller is a forever growing sport" is entirely accurate. That's coming from a guy who really enjoys roller. I started playing in the mid-90s and it's definitely no where near as popular now as it was then, at least in my area. I've seen a decline in interest, however; I do hope it's growing elsewhere and hope it gains popularity here again.

I started playing in the mid 90's as well (i'm 26 now). I played travel roller growing up for all sorts of leagues (USA, AAU, USARS etc etc) and i feel like the sport has exploded with the pro leagues like AIHL, PIHA, and the various skill levels at NARCH and StateWars. Even at the collegiate level, there is some serius competition (check NCRHA.ORG). There are tons of schools that have great roller programs. I guess it all depends where you're from?

For someone who played collegiate inline, I wouldn't call myself a roller "snob." Now you're insulting me LOL...

Never really thought about the roller aspect; as Anthony said, these two events occupy 10 months of my life. I am not opposed to it though.

Good to know! what school did you play for and what years? Maybe we crossed paths at one point, haha. I understand that time is of concern and that you're busy (you don't know me, but i do appreciate the work that you and other moderators do). If this gets enough interest, i'd be willing to help out wherever i could.

Right now, I play on a minor/pro team right now out of Pottstown, PA and live really close to Feasterville, PA where they have a 3 rink facility (host of collegiate nationals as well as national and world tournaments). Easier for me to swing something at Pottstown given my involvement there but Feasterville isn't out of the question.

Any users interested in getting together for a roller meet up of some sort? I'm from PA and would most likely look into getting rink time at Pottstown (2 rink facility) or Feasterville (3 rink facility)

JR or any other MOD, would it be beneficial to move this to the roller hockey forum? or should i leave it here to get interest from those that play both?

We at Alkali would be happy to support this. We will pay for the rink time, and have all our new product. Just let me know when and where...

I'm from NY and would be happy to help set something up as well. I've played in all the leagues and travel etc as well. I would be in without a doubt!! Of course it would be nice/best IMO to be affiliated with modsquad once JR has time that is!! Much thanks to Justin and the offer, very cool.

Justin, we appreciate the offer, but if we do this, we'll work something out with you guys.

As for the rest of the topics, like I said, we'll address this; I simply do not have time to pull this off, and any offers from manufacturers on anything would have to be a MSH-held event. I cannot allow you guys to use our name, logos, and in this case, manufacturer representation without us.

Sorry.

Oh no, i don't expect any sponsorship of any sort. this preliminary meet up of forum folks would just to have fun, catch up, and play. If the popularity gains, obviously there would be some sort of additional opportunity for marketing if you chose to do so.

I'm more interested in getting people together right now with no affiliation. given the support the site has, i don't think that's a hard thing to do.

The problem with your choices of venues is that you're picking small Pennsylvania towns. Our shows have been a destination as well as a game.

I'm just going to put this out there; if we do one (and my thought is that we would), it will be on the West Coast. And what I am thinking is along the levels of our flagship events.

The problem with your choices of venues is that you're picking small Pennsylvania towns. Our shows have been a destination as well as a game.

I'm just going to put this out there; if we do one (and my thought is that we would), it will be on the West Coast. And what I am thinking is along the levels of our flagship events.

Yes, they are small towns relative to Philadelphia (both are 40-45 min in opposite directions of the city), but point well taken. There are some real nice west coast venues. Anaheim Hockey Club is practically right next to Disney Land and down town Anaheim. Colorado Springs has a real nice rink as well (owned by CJ Yoder).

initial discussion is fun.

The problem with the west coast is that teams from Ontario/Quebec would probably not make that trip! If it was in NY state, we might get a few teams to come down from Toronto or Montreal. But we understand that you just can't accommodate everyone!

Agreed JR. Im sure plenty in the MSH family can and will help if called upon.

If the event is on the west coast, i request we do a ice event as well. Because at least in my area of the west i think there is more ice players then roller players. I don't think this is true for Southern California, but still...

The MSH skate/show is a good idea, BUT if I were planning it JR I think it would be best scheduled around a MAJOR summer National Tournament, for many reasons including the whole purpose of the skate is to try out/use new equipment and this is around the time alot of companies start showing their inline products for the coming Fall. The location would depend on where the summer nationals are being held. Although IMO the West Coast is a much better fit for this event. Super Nice Rinks, Plenty of Hockey Equipment shops to visit, plus plenty of whatever else you want to do.

The "other" idea of having a "Tourny" which would not in anyway mention or use any likeness of MSH is a great idea as well. This could be something done separate and done regionally(NorthEast, SouthEast, Midwest, WestCoast) depending on the amount of interest in each area. I think there are enough members who are interested to get a skate togther at least on the east coast somewhere for sure.

No. We have SJ for that.

The point is that we don't have to piggyback off a tournament. This "idea" has been considered for 12 hrs and we already have full participation by two manufacturers. We have that clout.

Either way, this is just another example of we "paying" or non paying members here at MSH being told what we can and cannot do almost to a snobbish point. Some of us love hockey but it is merely a hobby and not our main source of income or focus in life. I love this site, I respect the people who run it's work and the personal dedication they put forth. Just in the last hour I have contacted 5 roller hockey equipment related companies and expressed an interest for them to set up a demo booth at a weekend tourny to show off equipment and let people demo their products. Without knowing the specific details I got 5 positive replies back that they would be happy to help out! With no mention of MSH or anything related remotely to this site. Its not hard, you do not have to "know" someone to get them to advertise and show off their products.

On the other hand I understand the whole concept of the MSH skate. You want people to see and try out products that have not been released to the general public. You want the members to meet/greet go out have a good time and just have a good fun MSH fellowship type experience. You want the skate to be all about trying out the products and not focused so much on the game itself.

This whole thing has been blown completely out of the water, what started out as an innocent idea about a fun event, has turned into we are doing something wrong because we happen to be members of a certain website and want to have an inline skate. We in no way want to advertise, represent, or mention MSH for this event. So is this "request denied"? I am sure the dollars I spend to be a member of this site will go towards me being warned, banned, whatever. My feelings for this site are stated above, and I stick by them! This post is not ment to bash anyone, its ment to get the attention of people(you know who you are) who think just because they make a penny on something hockey related or "knows" someone in the hockey industry they are better than the average Joe.

I know this thread is probably giving JR a headache. But, JR, at the next SJ couldn't you ask the companies to bring their roller hockey gear to show off in addition to the ice gear?

Either way, this is just another example of we "paying" or non paying members here at MSH being told what we can and cannot do almost to a snobbish point. Some of us love hockey but it is merely a hobby and not our main source of income or focus in life. I love this site, I respect the people who run it's work and the personal dedication they put forth. Just in the last hour I have contacted 5 roller hockey equipment related companies and expressed an interest for them to set up a demo booth at a weekend tourny to show off equipment and let people demo their products. Without knowing the specific details I got 5 positive replies back that they would be happy to help out! With no mention of MSH or anything related remotely to this site. Its not hard, you do not have to "know" someone to get them to advertise and show off their products.

On the other hand I understand the whole concept of the MSH skate. You want people to see and try out products that have not been released to the general public. You want the members to meet/greet go out have a good time and just have a good fun MSH fellowship type experience. You want the skate to be all about trying out the products and not focused so much on the game itself.

This whole thing has been blown completely out of the water, what started out as an innocent idea about a fun event, has turned into we are doing something wrong because we happen to be members of a certain website and want to have an inline skate. We in no way want to advertise, represent, or mention MSH for this event. So is this "request denied"? I am sure the dollars I spend to be a member of this site will go towards me being warned, banned, whatever. My feelings for this site are stated above, and I stick by them! This post is not ment to bash anyone, its ment to get the attention of people(you know who you are) who think just because they make a penny on something hockey related or "knows" someone in the hockey industry they are better than the average Joe.

Wow, tell us how you REALLY feel.

Sad part is, my comment was directed at goaliemanshark. He wanted an ICE event.

I think my position on this event is changing at this point.

The constant bickering amongst groups is why roller has never gained a foothold in this country.

Stock07, you TOTALLY overreacted to the situation. All I am saying is that our name cannot be used for a local skate, nor we will allow recruitment for said skate on here. Something happens, with our name, we are liable.

But, I suppose there's no coming back from that...you said your piece.

I'm not sure I get what pushed your button. I think almost everything here was directed at the thread topic, "MSH Roller Hockey Jam", and obviously it's up to MSH what it wants to do with such an event, if it happens.

I don't see that anyone can tell you what to do, so I don't take anything in this thread as an attempt to do so.

And "request denied" looked to me as a response to a combined ice/roller event sponsored by MSH -- how can that be up to anyone but MSH?

wow....ok, i didn't mean for this thread to implode.

can we change the subject line of this thread to "Forum member roller hockey gathering' or something like that? The idea from me wasn't to have a fully sponsored event right off the bat. More of a, let's see how many people are interested in roller and want to hang out and play....then, if it gets popular enough, and only then, would MSH maybe see the opportunity.

I just posted on this site because there aren't many resources like this where people who love hockey as much as i do gather in one location to discuss all things hockey.

I didn't want to create any drama, and i'm sorry if i did?

Now that my friend we can agree on! I am going to say we call it a good idea and like you said leave it on the back burner to think about later.

wow....ok, i didn't mean for this thread to implode.

can we change the subject line of this thread to "Forum member roller hockey gathering' or something like that? The idea from me wasn't to have a fully sponsored event right off the bat. More of a, let's see how many people are interested in roller and want to hang out and play....then, if it gets popular enough, and only then, would MSH maybe see the opportunity.

I just posted on this site because there aren't many resources like this where people who love hockey as much as i do gather in one location to discuss all things hockey.

I didn't want to create any drama, and i'm sorry if i did?

I don't think it's your fault, and the response seemed generally positive. I'm sure JR has his hands full working on Winterfest right now, so the attention he can give this may be limited.