Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GBX2006

Severe Lace Bite problem

So I've been skating in my Totalones for about a year and a half and out of no where I am getting really bad lace bite. I have huge arches in my foot which caused the original lace bite, but now it's moved further up the foot to the front part of the ankle and I have no clue what to do. Is a permanent solution to have the tongues replaced with something thicker, or is there something out there that people are using to fix this sort of problem. At this point the pain has gotten so bad I'm going to start missing games because tonight's game was brutal in my current condition.

A new tongue probably wouldn't be permanent, just until it broke down too. The gel pads from Slipos, Bunga, G-Form or Maltese are probably the easiest and cheapest solution.

In addition to everything listed, make sure to take some time off if you can. Make sure you are ice massaging the area a few times a day to help get the inflammation out.

most likely, the reason you all of a sudden have lace bite under the laces is because the foam insert has creased or cracked. i have one80s and that little strip of foam sewn into the tongue did not last very long before it cracked.

but your totalones have a removable one if i'm not mistaken so inspect that thing.

either way, there are a few different kinds of pads out there like bunga pads and G-form lace bite pads which are currently being reviewed in the long term test forum.

i made my own pads since the others did not work for me. i took my daughters soccer shin guards, removed the hard plastic shell, cut the dense foam underneath and they fit perfectly on my lower shin. let me know if you want a pic.

a gel pad really helped my lace bite. double felt tongue didn't help, and removing the plastic insert didn't help either. do let your feet rest a couple weeks before you make a judgement on lace bite pads. lace bite pads aren't for everyone but they do help a lot of people.

i currently use 2 sets of g-form pads; 2 in each boot, after double felting my tongues which helped minimally.

not to bump an old thread, but I purchased some supreme one70 skates right after the holidays last year and recently my left skate I think I am getting lace bite. I did have lace bite on my old grafs and that was an excruciating pain(so much that I added a mouse pad to where the pain was and wrapped my foot with an ace bandage and a neoprene beer koozie and it was still the worst pain ever) and this one isn't so bad. Luckily I will be off my skates for three weeks coming up soon. My question since I am unsure if its lace bite at this point or not should I take the precautions and just order a bunga pad? I did just put super feet in after the pain started happening do we think just letting it heel and having super feet could fix the issue? Could changing the laces do anything?

not to bump an old thread, but I purchased some supreme one70 skates right after the holidays last year and recently my left skate I think I am getting lace bite. I did have lace bite on my old grafs and that was an excruciating pain(so much that I added a mouse pad to where the pain was and wrapped my foot with an ace bandage and a neoprene beer koozie and it was still the worst pain ever) and this one isn't so bad. Luckily I will be off my skates for three weeks coming up soon. My question since I am unsure if its lace bite at this point or not should I take the precautions and just order a bunga pad? I did just put super feet in after the pain started happening do we think just letting it heel and having super feet could fix the issue? Could changing the laces do anything?

Superfeet are unlikely to fix a lace bite issue. More often than not, they will actually make it worse. If you're going to keep skating in those skates, something like a bunga pad would help somewhat.

Superfeet are unlikely to fix a lace bite issue. More often than not, they will actually make it worse. If you're going to keep skating in those skates, something like a bunga pad would help somewhat.

So are you suggesting new skates? Cause this was part of the reason I replaced my old ones.

So are you suggesting new skates? Cause this was part of the reason I replaced my old ones.

First thing would be to figure out exactly what is causing the problem, then you can figure out if you can work around it.

First thing would be to figure out exactly what is causing the problem, then you can figure out if you can work around it.

so chadd pardon my ignorance on the topic but what else aside from the skate / tongue breaking down could cause lace bite. I play 2 - 3 times a week for maybe 2 hours a day. My skates look good. Its possible i could have cracked the lace bite guard in the tongue, but i don't think i tie my laces that tight. Any help on narrowing this down would be greatly appreciated.

so chadd pardon my ignorance on the topic but what else aside from the skate / tongue breaking down could cause lace bite. I play 2 - 3 times a week for maybe 2 hours a day. My skates look good. Its possible i could have cracked the lace bite guard in the tongue, but i don't think i tie my laces that tight. Any help on narrowing this down would be greatly appreciated.

If the skate doesn't have enough depth for you, the tongue isn't at fault. If there is enough depth and it is only happening at one spot where the laces meet your ankle when you stride, then the issue is with the stiffness of the boot. If that is the issue, you can try backlacing to spread out the contact point.

If the skate doesn't have enough depth for you, the tongue isn't at fault. If there is enough depth and it is only happening at one spot where the laces meet your ankle when you stride, then the issue is with the stiffness of the boot. If that is the issue, you can try backlacing to spread out the contact point.

Hey Chadd, I'm curious what you mean by the stiffness of the boot? Are you saying that if the boot is too stiff for you to stride naturally, you'll end up with pain where your ankle strains against the lace? Also, what do you mean by backlacing?

Are you saying that if the boot is too stiff for you to stride naturally, you'll end up with pain where your ankle strains against the lace?

What I'm saying is that the boot needs to flex. If the only forward flex is coming from your where ankle meets the laces, you're going to have problems.

Also, what do you mean by backlacing?

Lace from the outside to inside from the point where the eyelets go from horizontal to vertical.

Chadd I want to say thanks for all the help. I am going to drop by my lhs before my game on saturday to see what my skate guy thinks. I also ordered a bunga pad and will be off the skates for 3 weeks. My only question about the stiffness is if they have been fine for 10 months or so could the stiffness all the sudden play a factor. I can guarantee that the skates are deep enough. I just hope it's not the skate breaking down already cause I really didn't think I needed more then one 70s for how much I play.

The hard foam in the Bauer One70s eventually crease and fold, and the sharp corner can cause lace bite "all of a sudden". I had a tread with pictures on here somewhere...

The hard foam in the Bauer One70s eventually crease and fold, and the sharp corner can cause lace bite "all of a sudden".

Exactly, that stiffness is the cause of the tongue breaking down and the lace bite itself.

Exactly, that stiffness is the cause of the tongue breaking down and the lace bite itself.

that was my fear this whole time. I have a bunga pad on the way and I will be off the skates for three weeks so hopefully that will be enough time to heel the lace bite. For my next game on saturday I will try re lacing my skates and see if that helps. If I was to swap out the tongues are there any that you would recommend?