Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

napsy

Tell me about Mission Flyweight shafts...

I have an opportunity on a couple of pro-stock Mission Flyweight shafts. I've searched a little on the site and it seems like these are pretty popular among people. I had a couple questions about them - are all Flyweight shafts tapered? Will they accept any tapered blade? What's the deal with the Biogirth and Metamorphic shapes? For those that use 'em, what's so great about them? (I know, YMMV, etc...)

Just looking for some opinions, I appreciate any input.

It's my main stick over my Xn10 (Pro return) and Ultralite, although the Xn10 I have is a little stiffer than I like so I keep it as a backup. Both the Flyweights I have are 12-9 and 10-7 flex, but my 10-7 broke at the taper so I now use the 12-9. The 12-9 flex feels like it has more flex than my UL 100, and I assume part of that is due to the taper. Both of mine are the traditional Biogirth shape (still not as square as an Easton), and the Meta shape is more rounded which you may prefer. It's a great stick - durable, extremely lightweight, and good snap. When my last one breaks I'll look to replace it with another Flyweight if I can still find a new one (which is rare now) or probably a Mission L-2.

napsy - they are all tapered. Biogirth is a standard boxy shaped handle, and MetaMorphic is a thin, rounded handle which flares out at the end to accept the blade.

I've been using them for 4 yrs and have never switched.

Any Meta 10-7 flexes left? I need to stock up. 6 isn't enough.

Did you ever snap one yet JR?

Napsy, It's an awesome shaft, I regret I sold it, Thankfully I got another one but it's pretty beat up. It's sustained 3 years abuse use by a rugged Defenseman. With the Flyweight I felt I could load up and swing away at any given time probably due to its weight. I found the XV to be similar but the Fly was way ahead of its time.

Cool - I've been using wood sticks the past few years and I'm looking to get back to a shaft/blade combo. I've tried some taped sticks and loved the feel, so I'll probably pick these Flyweights up. What blades do they accept? I'm pretty ignorant of the choices available - will any short-hosel tapered blade fit the shaft, or only certain ones?

I'm still rolling on my first one. I like to rotate 4 of them, and I have two new ones I haven't touched.

Any short-hosel blade will work. I've found that it works best with a wood blade. The weight with a flush plug is about 440g. Right on par with a XN10.

I snapped two of mine in unfortunate accidents :( One snapped on a breakaway when I got tugged from behind and pole-vault planted my blade on the goalie's leg pad and the other end in my gut.. snapped it right in half. Luckily I wasn't hurt. The other one snapped when I got my blade caught in a seam on the boards and someone skated right through it trying to get to the puck...

I've had about 6 but I'm down to my last 2 now. I sold one and gave one to my cousin as a gift (both to spread the FW word ;))

I haven't touched any other sticks since i've gotten my flyweights about 3 years ago. I don't know how Mission did it way back in the day but I swear that I feel no difference in weight between a flyweight and something like a xn10 redlight. Maybe it's the awesome balance of the fly or maybe it really is ~250 grams but either way it is wickedly light. Be wary about those pro stocks though. It's a great shaft but any stick, no matter what it is, will hurt your game if it is too stiff for you. I imagine that it will be longer than usual as well so it will become even stiffer if you have to cut it down.

These ones are the 10-7 flex, which I guess is around a regular flex according to the flex chart on this site. I have to go back and check 'em out a little more, but I figure if I don't like the shafts I can always sell them.

Where can I find wood tapered short-hosel blades? Otherwise I can use something like the Mission L-2 replacement blades, right?

I have a pro stock Flyweight shaft that's actually standard and not tapered, and this particular shaft felt stiffer than the 10-7 flex that was labeled. Just make sure to confirm with your source which they are so you don't end up getting something different than what you expect.

Anyone know where I could pick up one of these? Hockeygiant, Hockeymonkey, nor ePuck have them. Google search didnt give me many results either.

Thanks

These ones are the 10-7 flex, which I guess is around a regular flex according to the flex chart on this site. I have to go back and check 'em out a little more, but I figure if I don't like the shafts I can always sell them.

Where can I find wood tapered short-hosel blades? Otherwise I can use something like the Mission L-2 replacement blades, right?

Off the top of my head, the TPS R2 and Bauer 7500 are the only short-hosel tapered wood blades still being produced. Mission used to make some a while back. All composite tapered blades will fit into the flyweight, including the L-2. Most of the companies have a tapered blade in their line now so it shouldn't be a problem finding blades (composite ones that is).

I also forgot about the hybrid synthesis... you basically have a lot of options if any of those retail patterns fit your needs

These ones are the 10-7 flex, which I guess is around a regular flex according to the flex chart on this site.  I have to go back and check 'em out a little more, but I figure if I don't like the shafts I can always sell them.

Where can I find wood tapered short-hosel blades?  Otherwise I can use something like the Mission L-2 replacement blades, right?

Off the top of my head, the TPS R2 and Bauer 7500 are the only short-hosel tapered wood blades still being produced. Mission used to make some a while back. All composite tapered blades will fit into the flyweight, including the L-2. Most of the companies have a tapered blade in their line now so it shouldn't be a problem finding blades (composite ones that is).

One more is coming...

Right now I am using a TPS R2 Wooden Blade in my Metamorphic. I just want to make sure that the composite one will fit before i go and buy one.

If u know please let me know.

Thanks

Off the top of my head, the TPS R2 and Bauer 7500 are the only short-hosel tapered wood blades still being produced.  Mission used to make some a while back.  All composite tapered blades will fit into the flyweight, including the L-2.  Most of the companies have a tapered blade in their line now so it shouldn't be a problem finding blades (composite ones that is).

One more is coming...

See here, JR? I know you love playing with our heads by dropping hints little hints on products but pleae know that you're killing me with anticipation, eh? ;)