Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doctor Hook

Mouthguards: What do you use?

Do mouthguards really help? And should you still wear one if you wear a full cage?

I remember having to wear one when I was a kid and hated it because my suliva would build up and I would choke on it.

Yes, I still wear it with a full cage. I'm not worried about a puck or stick so much as chipping teeth or biting my tongue off when I fall or get hit (non-check league, but that doesn't mean collisions dont happen).

leftwinger37: I agree 100% that if you don't have confidence in it, then by all means dont wear it! Feeling safe is a hugely important thing in this sport. I certainly don't take offence to you not liking the Protech. I just didn't want people to get the impression from your original post that they somehow aren't protective. Based on the studies and evidence, they are just as protective as any other guard. It's certainly still up to the consumer to decide for themselves, though.

For those who had their dentist make a mouth guard, did you have to pay for any of it? I talked to a hygienist at my dentist and told her that i wanted a mouthhguard for hockey, and it seems that people have had to pay. Is there something you have to say spspecifically to get the mouthguard covered? For example saying i grind my teeth at night.

You aren't going to get a hockey level mouth guard for grinding teeth, you will get something specifically for that issue but it isn't a mouth guard. The best thing is to check with your healthcare provider and see if it is covered to some extent, it might.

When you're wearing a mouth guard, can you still yell out to communicate?

thicker ones like shock doctors, mogos, etc, its pretty difficult, but with my new protech its pretty easy

Just used a Shock Doctor Nano 3D (coming from the gel nano) and I love it. They sent it to me for free to make up for some customer services issues. A lot more comfortable and compact than others that make my lips bulge out. Highly recommend it.

I have a Protech guard but have yet to wear it. I just find it very very hard material and almost overly snug... Like the retainer I wore after braces.

My concern is not a direct hit, since I wear a cage. I'm afraid of getting hit in the face, or falling, and clacking my teeth together. I don't want any chips.

Also, I want to prevent that disconcerting rattling feeling in your mouth and jaw when you get a stick, elbow or puck to cage.

But the Protech is just so hard, I wonder if biting down fast and hard on such hard plastic isn't bad for your teeth just like biting directly without it there.

Anyone have any idea? I tried contacting the company directly, but while very friendly, the response was rather wishy washy.

Thoughts?

I have a Protech guard but have yet to wear it. I just find it very very hard material and almost overly snug... Like the retainer I wore after braces.

My concern is not a direct hit, since I wear a cage. I'm afraid of getting hit in the face, or falling, and clacking my teeth together. I don't want any chips.

Also, I want to prevent that disconcerting rattling feeling in your mouth and jaw when you get a stick, elbow or puck to cage.

But the Protech is just so hard, I wonder if biting down fast and hard on such hard plastic isn't bad for your teeth just like biting directly without it there.

Anyone have any idea? I tried contacting the company directly, but while very friendly, the response was rather wishy washy.

Thoughts?

It's going to be tough to get a real solid answer out of them, as a company, due to potential legal issues. It's why you see a lot of "should" and "most likely/probably" in reply emails for questions like yours. The area of mouthguards is largely untested and/or unproven. I've ready independant reviews that the Protech mouthguard has the holes for the sole reason of allowing portions of the mouthguard to give and thus disperse the energy of the impacted area. This would be Protechs alternative to a soft/cushoning mouthguard? Just my theory on it. I'm no expert.

If you're afraid of your teeth getting knocked out....wear a cage. If you're trying to avoid tooth chips and/or lower your chance of a concussion then go with what's comfortable or recommended by a dentist. At the very least a dentist should have a good idea of what material would be best to avoid tooth chipping. My guess just about anything, within reason, will help against that.

i have had a couple of teeth clapping moments in mine with no issues so far. i feel like with the holes created as dampening, it should hold up fine, but then again i have had impact enough to rip through a boil and bite before, luckily not chipping any teeth.

Thoughts?

You're right about it being VERY tight when you first put it in. Have you used it in a game yet? For me, its almost uncomfortable for the first 5-10 mins, but then I'm not sure if it softens a tiny bit from the warmth in my mouth, or if I just get used to it. Either way, I don't even notice its there. Heck, I often have half my gear off after a game before I even remember that it's still in.

Like I've said earlier - if you don't FEEL safe wearing it, then don't. But all evidence points towards it being as protective, if not more, than a boil and bite.

Isn't it also considered a boil and bite?

No I have not warn it in a game.

I guess I don't have faith in it because I can't seem to get

A definitive answer as to why biting down hard on it, would

Be any safer for my teeth than not having it there at all.

I wish I could know for sure because yes, it is thin and easily forgotten in your mouth.

Isn't it also considered a boil and bite?

No I have not warn it in a game.

I guess I don't have faith in it because I can't seem to get

A definitive answer as to why biting down hard on it, would

Be any safer for my teeth than not having it there at all.

I wish I could know for sure because yes, it is thin and easily forgotten in your mouth.

It's more of a boil and shape, really. You don't make an imprint by biting down. I only say boil and bite to distinguish it from the standard thick rubber things people usually wear.

I think the fact that you have something in between your teeth that absorbs the impact is all you really need. It may feel completely rigid, but with the holes in it and the shape it takes, it spreads out the impact evenly. Similar to how crumple zones work in a car (in fact, if I recall, their website specifically explains their equivalent to crumple zones).

I don't know. I certainly trust it as much as any other mouthguard.

Also if your screen name should insinuate your a wolverines fan, you should know that the mouth guards are actually the creation of an ann arbor dentist.

Yeah, I noticed that on the packaging when it arrived. I found this article after I found out. it was actually the collaborative effort of a umich engineering professor and a ear-throat-nose doctor.

I have been using the Tapout mouthguards for a few seasons now. The fit is ok, but it is the price (2 for $15) that make it worthwhile for me because I tend to drop them in the locker room so its not a big deal just to trash it.

Any of you have problems with the pro-tech losing it's shape? I bought one for my 8-year old and after only a couple of uses, it is flattening out. Not a big deal to reform it, but it'll be annoying if I have to do it every couple of weeks.

I went ahead and reformed it for my 8-year old... he's been wearing it 4-times a week for the past 3 weeks, and it hasn't lost it's shape. I think what was happening was he was chewing on it and flattening it out. It's hard to get a kid to form it tightly, so that it isn't easy to pull out and chew while playing. Probably spent 20 mins this time reforming it until it was nice and snug all the way around.

I love my pro tech. It fits so well and I don't feel any less protected. The TapOut I was using previous was already pretty thin so going to the Pro tech was no big deal. The Pro Tech fits so tight I have a hard time getting it off. Because of this I don't worry about it shifting when I get hit. Really happy with this mouth guard.

Has anyone worn the Shock Dr. custom mouthguard? or this one http://www.defenderm...e.php? I'm looking for a new one and wanted to get some thoughts on those two specifically. The "streamline" design of the Defender seems like a really good idea.

I have the Shock Doctor custom. It's kind of bulky and is a little difficult to talk with. It's also breaking down after only about 6 months-year. I'm going to go with the ProTech next.

My ShockDoctor is breaking down after only about a year or so. Disappointing.

hehe, if i got a year out of a shock doctor, id feel extremely lucky, i burn through those things like crazy

hehe, if i got a year out of a shock doctor, id feel extremely lucky, i burn through those things like crazy

It's a custom so I guess I expected it to last longer

I was wearing a half shield and took a puck to the mouth, luckily I had my mouth guard in. Had I not had it in, Im not so sure I would have all of front right teeth. It was a Tapout, I like them, inexpensive for a two pack and they work, I have gone back to full face protection, but still where one, for the reasons stated above. Even though I tend to let it hang out my mouth more (Kane Style haha) with the cage or full shield on, I would still recommend wearing one no matter what. Hockey is a physical game and no shame should be taken from protecting your chiclets.

For those who had their dentist make a mouth guard, did you have to pay for any of it? I talked to a hygienist at my dentist and told her that i wanted a mouthhguard for hockey, and it seems that people have had to pay. Is there something you have to say spspecifically to get the mouthguard covered? For example saying i grind my teeth at night.

Here in Australia, my healthcare fund covered most of the cost for the dentist made mouth guard. I think the retail cost was around $178.00 and the healthcare fund covered $160.00 of that so I was $18 out of pocket (above premium costs of course). To me that is well worth it knowing that it is made specifically for my teeth and backed by the dentist themselves.

My son (7) uses a Shock Doctor Gel Nano that has had to be cut down in length, but he loves it, much better than the first boil and bite we purchased, some unknown brand that was bigger and bulkier than the nano. He hated using the first mouthguard but loves the new one and has no trouble using it or speaking with it.