Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doctor Hook

Mouthguards: What do you use?

I love the sisu as well. I agree with everyone else saying you put it in and forget it. Great for talking and breathing as well.

It looks like the new Sisu costs $35. And though people are happy with theirs, if you have a tooth issue (like one being 30* crooked) for another $15 you can get a fully custom Gladiator mouthguard. They send you a kit in the mail, you make a mold of your mouth, send it to them and they make a custom guard from the mold. It's the same process as going to the dentist, but you make the mold yourself so you save yourself the money of going to the dentist. Most dentists don't actually make the mouthguard themselves, they simply take the mold for you and send it out to a company like Gladiator. Buying direct saves you the time and the cost of the dentist intermediary. I've bought three mouthguards through that route (all different companies) and the molding process is extremely easy to do yourself.

I used a Gladiator for boxing and agree the fitting process is good. I went back to the Protech (Sisu) for both hockey and boxing as the Protech was more comfortable.

Where you using the Gladiator pro or elite for boxing. I've been thinking about picking up an elite for boxing. I currently use a custom double-thick guard for boxing and a standard defender custom for hockey. I figure the extra thickness is better for boxing

I used the elite but thicker does not equal better. There is no cushioning effect.

However the holes in the Protech did cause a few small cuts on my lip once when I got tagged pretty hard.

I'd say either is good. My preference is the more rigid and thinner protech.

You can still get the 1.6 for 25 bucks. For any beer leaguer that should be sufficient

I use a Gladiator Pro Custom mouth guard, and love it. The area behind the front 4 teeth is cut-away; stops just after wrapping under the bottom of the teeth - to allow for better communication. Even has my last name on the side in case I drop it/lose it. Cost was $50 and it took about a week and a half to get the kit and about the same time to get my final mouth guard delivered. They actually return your mould with your finished mouth guard, and if you re-order from the same mould you save %50.

Does anyone know if the gladiator is as thick as the custom shock doctor? I love how thin the sisu feels but I feel like I'm going to bite through it. The custom shock doctor is way too thick.

Does anyone know if the gladiator is as thick as the custom shock doctor? I love how thin the sisu feels but I feel like I'm going to bite through it. The custom shock doctor is way too thick.

i wouldnt worry about biting through the sisu, ive had mine a little over a year and there is like 0 wear on it.

My understanding is that the Gladiator pro is not as thick as the shock doctor, but the gladiator elite is the same thickness

Been using an Under Armour mouthguard for a little over a year (probably closer to two). No problems with it and can breath or talk without any trouble.

Can anybody tell me how long one should go before replacing their mouthguard? I imagine that even with regular washing these things can get pretty germ-ridden.

I soak mine in listerine to clean them when not in use. Replacement time depends on a lot of factors such as how much you chew it, what material is it made of etc. If you consider that mouth guards work by spreading impact across a larger area it would make sense that as your mouthguard loses fit and rigidity it becomes less effective.

i see IW and total hockey carry the sisus now. i think ill order from them soon though its doubtfull they will get to me before my weekend gsmds let alone friday open skate.

I have used several different mouthguards over the years and to this day I have not found one that fits better then the one I got from Impact Custom Mouthguards (www.impactmouthguards.com). I have used the traditional boil and bites which I think suck, they are big and bulky, you can hardly talk with them in and I chew them up because it does not lock onto my teeth like my Impact Mouthguards does.

Prior to my Impact guard, I had bit the bullet and purchased one from my dentist a couple of years ago and that set me back over $200 as opposed to the $49 I spent for a much better quality and better looking Impact guard. Although the dentist one fit well, you certainly could not add a logo or design to it. I thought it was cool that I could add a logo to my guard to make it mine. Best of all, they don't charge for adding a logo.

I also ventured out and picked up a SISU guard after I lost my dentist guard and before I ordered my Impact one. The problem I had with SISU is that it so rigid that it occationally cuts my lips. And if you get hit square in the choppers your lips get cheese grated to pieces. Threw that one out after about a week. It may be thin, but my Impact one is still pretty thin and easy to talk and call for the puck (even if I can't hardly catch a pass).

My personal opinion, check out Impact Mouthguards. You can get it in different thicknesses, colors, designs etc. Because they are custom, they fit your teeth perfectly and you can easily talk and breath with it in. They are crazy comfortable.

Oh and the kicker is that once they have your impression, any guard that you purchase in the future is half price. Which means that it will only run you $25 to get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.

Hands down as far as I am concerned, Impact Custom Mouthguards is the best I have tried.

I have used several different mouthguards over the years and to this day I have not found one that fits better then the one I got from Impact Custom Mouthguards (www.impactmouthguards.com). I have used the traditional boil and bites which I think suck, they are big and bulky, you can hardly talk with them in and I chew them up because it does not lock onto my teeth like my Impact Mouthguards does.

Prior to my Impact guard, I had bit the bullet and purchased one from my dentist a couple of years ago and that set me back over $200 as opposed to the $49 I spent for a much better quality and better looking Impact guard. Although the dentist one fit well, you certainly could not add a logo or design to it. I thought it was cool that I could add a logo to my guard to make it mine. Best of all, they don't charge for adding a logo.

I also ventured out and picked up a SISU guard after I lost my dentist guard and before I ordered my Impact one. The problem I had with SISU is that it so rigid that it occationally cuts my lips. And if you get hit square in the choppers your lips get cheese grated to pieces. Threw that one out after about a week. It may be thin, but my Impact one is still pretty thin and easy to talk and call for the puck (even if I can't hardly catch a pass).

My personal opinion, check out Impact Mouthguards. You can get it in different thicknesses, colors, designs etc. Because they are custom, they fit your teeth perfectly and you can easily talk and breath with it in. They are crazy comfortable.

Oh and the kicker is that once they have your impression, any guard that you purchase in the future is half price. Which means that it will only run you $25 to get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.

Hands down as far as I am concerned, Impact Custom Mouthguards is the best I have tried.

I do agree that the SISU ones are rigid once they've cooled/formed. However, I've not had an issue where they cut into my lip/gum. I did have one time where there was a small crease that I didn't get smoothed out that I noticed for a game. Had I got hit in the mouth it probably would have cut my lip, but I re-formed it that night and it became a non-issue. I took a couple elbows and stick blades to the mouth with no cutting from the SISU mouthguard. Just my experience. Sucks that the SISU guard caused you issues. Glad you found something else though. I have looked into ICM before but never went through them because I still have my SISU.

So i tried reforming my sisu 1.6 a couple of times but i still get this same problem with its fit. it seems to be fitted in a certain way that it feels like its pushing my front teeth back. i dont notice it while playing but i took it out after my first game of a double header yesterday and my teeth felt pain as if they were hit and had that faux loose dull pain feel. it was so bad i didnt bother putting it in the second game. now today my teeth are sore when biting down on them.

Im also thinking of cutting a tiny bit off of the back as well as it seems that there is a tiny bit too much material there and it slurs my speaking a bit, it may also be i have a slightly wider jaw and the material back there is going towards the inside of my mouth too much.

Besides that I love it and i have gone through a couple before, I can breath, drink water, i dont feel like im choking, and the only time i notice it is when i say a bunch of words and i notice im slurring them but even that is rare.

Been using an Under Armour mouthguard for a little over a year (probably closer to two). No problems with it and can breath or talk without any trouble.

Can anybody tell me how long one should go before replacing their mouthguard? I imagine that even with regular washing these things can get pretty germ-ridden.

Armourbite or Performance?

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=UAPMG

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=UAPM

Custom from the dentist. Well worth it and 8 stitches to my face and no teeth lost was worth it. Wait it was free, thanks Uncle Sam

Performance isn't really a mouthguard per se, as it offers no real protection of any kind. It's more a device intended to modify your jaw position into a position that supposedly increases strength and breathing capabilities.

I just had my second Impact Mouthguard made. went a little thinner on the material this time and it is FANTASTIC!

I just ordered a new High Performance model from Gladiator. It's a little more expensive, but I think it'll be a great compromise to use for both hockey and Boxing instead of having to get a 2mil layer guard for hockey and a 3mil guard for boxing.