Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

splitbtw

Weird Tendencies

My weird tendencies are as follows.

I always tape my ankles in my old Bauer 3000's. I've tried new skates but can't break the old habit of an old leather boot with some tape to support the floppy ankles.

Use laces instead of tape for the shin guards over the pants I wear. Black lace on the right leg and white lace on the left.

Always bring 3 sticks. Had two break on me in a game once and had to use somebody else's which stunk. I use very short sticks - up to my sternum probably in skates, and I cut off the front 2 inches or so of the blade. Therefore, nobody else has something that will feel right in my hands.

I don't have any weird routines, but I do have a weird tendency to skate to the level of the game/session. It's like my brain sees technique or lack thereof and my body follows. I've been playing for over 20 years and have always been a decent skater but for some reason it's something that's been happening the last year or so.

I signed up for a drop-in that is typically lower level and beginner players. A couple of weeks ago for whatever reason I was out on a shift and I totally had the baby giraffe thing going on. Had a breakaway and fell forward on to my face with no one around me. ??? The next day I was out with the normal group I play with which is beer league D3-D2. Skated well. The next night I skated with a group that is largely made up of beer league D1 guys. I skated like the wind. Then the next friday at the lower skill skate it was back to occassionally skating like a baby giraffe. ??? wtf ???

I don't think it's weird but you may.. After each flood, I always do a lap of the area behind the goals check for water and imperfections then where the blue line meets the boards - nothing like going back to pickup a puck and finding it stick in a puddle.

1. chew mint gum on the way to the rink,
  2. dunk my mouthguard in listerine for at least 1 minute.
  3. randomly stop at a gast station and buy some smart water
  4. arrive at the rink and throw away my gum before going inside.
  5. not talk to anyone if Garrett or Sean aren't there.
  6. make sure on the way there to the rink i listened to 15 minutes or its free by sloppy seconds

Back when I was "really" playing:

Never cut my hair during the regular season.

Wore the same undershirt until it fell apart in college; an old Hystyk shirt that read "football players may have cheerleaders, but hockey players take them home." - I cut the sleeves off and it got to the point to where the bottom sides of the shirt were held together by safety pins. I still don't know how I didn't get tetanus.

No one touched my sticks except equip manager.

Before the game re-tape; coat of wax & melt it in 2x, final surface coat of wax.

Always head to a corner and stretch in warm-up skate (our coach tried getting us not to).

Now I just make sure I have my game gum ready.

I also use laces instead of clear tape for the shin pads. I don't think it's 'weird' but it sure is economically sound! Haven't bought clear tape in 2 years. Sticking with laces, instead of going through the last eyelet, I loop the laces around the neck (if that's what it's called) of the boot once and then tie the skates.

Always tape my sticks before I leave for the rink, left shins then right, put on my shorts then skates (left then right) sit for a bit then clean my visor before shoulders go on and then elbows.

Nothing really strange there.

this doesn't really count as a tedency....but when i buy my equipment i absolutely HATE it if it doesn't come with the plastic paackaging and the stuffing i.e. in the gloves etc...it just feels like i'm using second hand equipment, thats why i always buy stuff online because when i ask for it in the shops they just look at me as though im wierd

I don't have any weird routines, but I do have a weird tendency to skate to the level of the game/session. It's like my brain sees technique or lack thereof and my body follows. I've been playing for over 20 years and have always been a decent skater but for some reason it's something that's been happening the last year or so.

I signed up for a drop-in that is typically lower level and beginner players. A couple of weeks ago for whatever reason I was out on a shift and I totally had the baby giraffe thing going on. Had a breakaway and fell forward on to my face with no one around me. ??? The next day I was out with the normal group I play with which is beer league D3-D2. Skated well. The next night I skated with a group that is largely made up of beer league D1 guys. I skated like the wind. Then the next friday at the lower skill skate it was back to occassionally skating like a baby giraffe. ??? wtf ???

I do the exact same thing. It is weird. It's like I can't get past the mental block of putting in the effort to take it up to the next level unless everyone around me is playing at the next level as well. It's one of the reasons I don't like playing in lower leagues that much, because I usually feel after the game as though I played like shit.

I do the exact same thing. It is weird. It's like I can't get past the mental block of putting in the effort to take it up to the next level unless everyone around me is playing at the next level as well. It's one of the reasons I don't like playing in lower leagues that much, because I usually feel after the game as though I played like shit.

I do the same thing. I played midget u18 a minor last year and was one of the better players on my team but nothing special. I tried out for u16 aaa this year. I didnt make it but did really well at that pace. I feel as if i was given the chance to play aaa i would do really well. Politics :/ i ended up making a u18 aa team when i tried out for the u16 aa one. anyways a weird tendancy of mine is to put the butt end of my stick on my left foot when im standing/sitting on the bench. I dont like the rubber mat dirt on my tape but it made my laces grey only on my left skate haha

We have six teams in our league. I've made it a point to not wear any of the other team's main colors on game days.

I only play two video games: COD and NHL. I stopped playing COD on game days much to my roommates displeasure.

I scored my first ice hat-trick playing D and only second ever a few weeks ago after a night of margaritas, not sleeping until my flight home at 6am, McD's egg muffins and special favors from the lady friend and a nap. I keep trying to replicate as much as I can the past few weeks with the Margs and special favors. I keep trying to replicate as much as I can each week. Last week generated a ton of chances. Today got another goal and a post. Will keep doing it until I hit a slump.

That sounds like a good routine to repeat, regardless of your on ice performance.

I don't do this anymore but, during my pre beer league days in travel hockey I used to always brush my teeth before each game. I guess it wouldn't hurt to do this before every game now as well just to get one more brushing in on game days.

I don't do this anymore but, during my pre beer league days in travel hockey I used to always brush my teeth before each game. I guess it wouldn't hurt to do this before every game now as well just to get one more brushing in on game days.

same here. the mint helps open up my sinuses and breath easier. plus it's nice not being the dragon guy on the bench because there's usually a few of those anyway.

One observation I've had over the years with both hockey and the gym is some people don't do ANY grooming until after their workout. So, because our pickup is at 9:15 in the morning, I find I sometimes wish some of my teammates didn't put as much effort on the ice.....