Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tommyj214

Anyone have the New CCM U+ Shoulder/Pants?

Anyone know how the CL or CS shoulders compare to the Bauer TO's? I upgraded a couple of months ago to the TO's as my LHS rep told me they were one of the most protective shoulders while being mobile. However, after a couple months of use I'm still finding them very bulky and they feel very restrictive vs. the thin cardboard like shoulders I had before haha.

Just wondering if the CCM's would be just as protective but would allow for more mobility and not look so bulky? I don't want to spend another $150 to repeat the same mistake again. Also, is there a big different between CL and CS? They look identical almost but there seems like a large price gap.

differences are mostly in weight, mobility, moisture absorbance. chances are at any level they will both offer adequate protection. I was told by a rep that the CL was more protective even though i thought with the names the CS might be.

both have adjustable bicep guards, i tried them both on within the last month.

whether they are worth the extra is up to you

Incorrect. The Velcro to adjust the bicep guard exists on the CL.

My bad... I must have missed the adjustment strap when I looked at the CL in my LHS. The reason I was specifically looking for it was because I read this blog review http://rayaux.wordpress.com/2012/05/02/2012-ccm-u-cl-shoulder-pads/ in the section “Room for improvement” it’s item #1 “bicep guard height not adjustable”. I didn’t remember seeing it on the CL when I looked, but it is there on my CS. Maybe that blogger and I need to get our eyesight checked, because it's obviously there.

As for the original question, the CLs are awesome pads and so are the CS. For the guy who just spent $100+ dollars on TO shoulders not too long ago I think the CS is a good value since it's $50 less than the CL. If money is not really a big deal, get the CL... especially now that we know it has that awesome, groundbreaking, revolutionary, earth shattering, "adjustable" bicep guard, ha ha.

I can't see an adjustment for height on the biceps guard in the videos I've seen, and the IW video seems to say there isn't one, though the guy stumbles over the "isn't".

As for the original question, the CLs are awesome pads and so are the CS. For the guy who just spent $100+ dollars on TO shoulders not too long ago I think the CS is a good value since it's $50 less than the CL. If money is not really a big deal, get the CL... especially now that we know it has that awesome, groundbreaking, revolutionary, earth shattering, "adjustable" bicep guard, ha ha.

It was an easy decision for me. Either get the CL, or just stay with the Fit09s that I was completely happy with. The CS never entered into my mind as an option.

I can't see an adjustment for height on the biceps guard in the videos I've seen, and the IW video seems to say there isn't one, though the guy stumbles over the "isn't".

It's there, I can take a photo when I get home if you want.

It was an easy decision for me. Either get the CL, or just stay with the Fit09s that I was completely happy with. The CS never entered into my mind as an option.It's there, I can take a photo when I get home if you want.

I’m with you… don’t buy one step up if you’re happy with what you’ve got, at that point go top of the line or nothing. Going to the CS wasn’t hard for me either I was coming from Itech 220s that were ill fitting, absorbed sweat like a sponge, and got hotter than two rabbits f@#%ing in a wool sock. It’s weird now since a different CL owner says they don’t have the adjustable strap. I wonder if they just recently added that feature to the CL… weird.

Could be... they may have added it after people complained? I dunno!

EDIT: OH! I should mention that mine are the CL "LE" model from hockeymonkey. More black/less red. Perhaps only the LE model has the velcro?

I don't mind paying the extra $$ for the CL. I just figured for such a huge price markup, there would be a drastic differences other than just slightly lighter foams, better mobility and moisture management.

Also bi-cep guard was kind of a key feature I was looking at, nice to know the CL's have it.

I have the CL LE shoulders and they do have a velcro strap underneath to move the bicep pad. The issue I had is after trying a medium and a large in the store I went with a large. Not too snug, not too loose. At 6 feet, 195 pounds I rarely purchase anything that's a medium but when I sit on the bench the shoulder pads move up and out away from my chest. The strap around the sides is as far as it will go and I think they're a little too loose when I'm skating. Probably gonna have to put them on Ebay and go with a medium. Like other posters have said the water resistance is insane, not retaining water on your upper body is a big deal and you do feel air move through the pads-especially when you're not coasting! I've never really taken big bumps or gotten hit with sticks or pucks up high so protection isn't really a big deal but I do wear them just in case. I'm not looking to look like a middle linebacker though so I prefer lightweight and breathable when I'm buying. Had Farrell's and Sherwood 9950's before this, the difference in retaining sweat is amazing. The downside is they are very expensive, if you're hurting for cash maybe wait til the next line of CCM CL's come out and buy these at probably half the price.