Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
shotty

Haglunds / Bauer Bumps

I was starting to have a huge bump and dried skin on the left heel from my Supreme One.9s. Went to the Podiatrist with my skate and two different socks that I was wearing. End result was going with the thinner sock, and punching the corner of the boot in the heel. After that, I have not had a single problem and I skate four days a week for over two hours at a shot. That was back in August. The bump is almost non existent now.

Edited by Tech1208

Thanks for the info guys. I have bunga sleeves, just would rather not have to use them since I dont need them with my current skates, its only the backups that caused the bump to start.

I'll look into Stable 26, never heard of it.

They are really worth the investment (yes besides being the rep) when you have foot issues. That is how Drouin came to wearing them. Think they are working just fine for him after tonight!

Is it possible to punch out the back of a boot for bauer bumps? I was skating in T1 NXGs for about 6 months and they were just a poor fit for my foot (as well as being a bit too big and too stiff for me). Aside from the lacebite they gave me, I occasionally would notice some pain on the back of my tendon (bauer bumps I suppose, due to heel movement). Anyway, I'm in Graf 709s now which are a much better fit and much more comfortable, however the bauer bumps are extremely painful now (reffed 4 games in the Grafs this weekend). Is it reasonable to think this area could be punched out?

I'll defer to someone with actual knowledge about this, but I'd tend to think not. The heel cup is a very structured, stiff part of the boot, so I'm not sure that you could punch that area, or that even if you could, you would want to. If the bumps developed by using an ill-fitting skate, they should gradually go away in a skate that fits well (I used to have a painful, swollen navicular bone area from rubbing up on the inner eyelets of a skate that was not deep enough for me, but it went away when I got into a better fitting model). If you punch the boot and the haglund's deformities eventually shrink or vanish, you'll have way too much slop in the heel, won't get a proper heel lock, and could end up making this a chronic rather than temporary problem. In the meantime, perhaps some additional padding (a few layers of moleskin donuts around the bump or maybe bunga pads) could help. I might also look into Stable 26 socks which could reduce any play in the heel that creates the friction that causes you irritation. Finally, as much as it's no fun, the best thing to do might be to take time off from skating to let the bumps diminish.

Best of luck.

I've carefully punched out the heel area in many skates to accomodate haglunds, spurs or bumps. I identify it as a risky area to punch, and I warn the customer about the risks of creating too much room if/when the problem goes away. At the end of the day, I try to make a best call based on the information I have to help the skater with performance and comfort. Many customers accept any sort of risk in return of the possibility of skating pain-free. On certain cases I suggest they see a doctor or podiatrist before I do any degree of punching, or before I recommend they skate again. It all depends on the situation. Other recommendations may come into play as well, insoles, booties, different socks, etc. Punching or physical modifications are usually a last resort.

• Like 2

For all the "Bauer Bumps" / Haglunds sufferers.... I offer this advice. Get yourself a foot file. The bumps are just a build up of skin like a callus. When I had the "B.B.'s", I would file them down at the end of a shower at home.

For all the "Bauer Bumps" / Haglunds sufferers.... I offer this advice. Get yourself a foot file. The bumps are just a build up of skin like a callus. When I had the "B.B.'s", I would file them down at the end of a shower at home.

Those are not Haglunds. Haglunds occurs under the skin and on the bone.

http://haglundsdeformity.net/

I punched mine and it worked great. I used a set of long "welding vice grips" I bought for about 10 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Tools-VISE-GRIP-Locking-Original-21/dp/B00004SBBI/ref=pd_sim_hi_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1PWKG2SHN85T3RQ0SHZ3

I just clamped them on a small stainless measuring spoon and left over night and then adjusted it to punch it a bit more the second day. Piece of cake. Thanks guys.

• Like 1

Those are not Haglunds. Haglunds occurs under the skin and on the bone.

http://haglundsdeformity.net/

Agreed. Should have left out the term haglunds. I assume it is the clinical name for "Bauer Bumps". The bumps on the heel that get irritated can be managed is what I was trying to say.

Should have been more specific.

• Like 1

From what I understand you're referring to calluses not bauer bumps. Haglunds and bone spurs are both bone and cannot be fixed rapidly without surgery

I wouldn't worry about "when they go away the heel will be sloppy" if you punch it. From my understanding it can take years or it may never go away on its own.

Not to double post but I have bauer bumps myself and used the bunga pads. They take away pretty much all the pain BUT I have noticed if you wear them with socks you will take up too much of the boot in most cases. I didn't size my skates with the bunga pads on

I feel too much of the toecap with it on which makes them useless unless you stretch or punch out the toebox

Edited by Bbd94
  • Like 1

Sorry to necro this thread. I see it's been necroed a few times already, so I'm not sure if this forum frowns on that or not.. but I wouldn't have noticed this forum if not for this thread, as I was trying to figure out if my foot pain was possibly caused by my skates.

Anyways, I just ordered a pair of these thanks to the recommendations here. I have calcification in both feet, heel spurs and a tear in my Achilles Tendon (right for sure, but never had the left tested.. think its OK). I have been getting Electro Shockwave therapy to fix some of the problems. That's gone quite well. My bone spurs seem reduced, and I can definitely tell the calcification throughout my foot is greatly reduced in both feet.. nearly gone in my left foot. Lots of work left to do on my Achilles, however, and I'm pretty happy that I googled this thread. I'm hopeful these heel pads will slow down or stop the damage I'm doing to my Achilles. I am not sure if it's my skates causing this, but I intend to wear these in shoes, even (that should be OK, right?).

And since it was asked here, where we can get these in Canada.. I Googled that today, and ended up ordering from hockeyvancouver.ca . I'm not at all affiliated with this site. That was just the place I found that was quick shipping to me in Edmonton. I probably should have checked around town here too. But that's definitely one place. They have them on Amazon too, but at a much inflated price, for some reason.

Edited by Stooch