Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tlkb88

Baking totalone/NXG skates

I need to bake my totalone skates. Anyone know if the tongue inserts should be removed before I stick it in the oven?

If removed, should I put them back in before lacing them up to mould?

Thanks

The inserts are made of composite, similar to the upper of the boot.

You can leave them in. It won't do any damage if you bake the skates properly.

Actually, the process calls for them to not be in the skate during baking.

They will mold and crease if so. When they crease, it's generally when you have to replace them.

It's more flexible when in its unmolded state.

You probably already baked them, but for future baking reference on the APX/NXG/One.9/Bauer skates with Curv composite...

3 minutes instead of 2, and one skate at a time instead of both. Also take out any kind of inserts as well.

^ Agreed... With respect to Bauer's heating instructions, I've successfully baked all of the Curv/Alive composite skates up to 1.5 minutes beyond their recommended heating time, often with fantastic results.

thanks everyone for the help. I did end up taking the inserts out.

And I totally agree that 2mins baking time is not that effective. At 2 mins the skates werent rally soft enough to be fully moulded. I averaged 2.5 minutes for each skate and they came out perfect!

an LHS that I bought my NXGs from baked the skates for about 8-10 minutes at 220, then the guy proceeded to put the skates on my foot, and really yanked the laces...this is in contrary to the instructions on the tag that the skates came with ... having trusted this person and after reading the tag I am a bit concerned.... what do you guys think? JR?

Absolutely the wrong thing to do.

Curv composite boots from Bauer require 2.5 min heating at 200 degrees, preferably 1 at a time.

Have you skated in them yet? If I were you, I'd ask for an exchange. The instructions are right on the tag, and baking them for that long will indeed void the warranty (Bauer can tell it's been overheated.)

thanks, I am going to ask for an exchange, they also baked at the same time :mad: .. hopefully this goes over well, since this is my second exchange already.. thank god I did not skate in these yet..

You don't have to bake them separately (unless you really know what you're doing.)

Just have him lace up one skate while you do the other. That's the only reason why.

thanks for the help..going to return these all together to pro hockey life where I go them...... and will get them elsewhere since the other LHS will also throw in the profiling when you purchase these and there is no way i would trust pro hockey life with that task.... :)

i went and refunded my skates from pro hockey life.. went to toronto hockey repair and got this done right finally, with 2.5 min at 200f.. no inserts.. sat for about 3 minutes then stood up for another 5.. great service at THR from Fio... decided not to risk playing that same night and just opted out for waiting until next time just in case.. so the lesson is do not go to pro hockey life

The first few minutes are the most crucial and when most of the actual thermo-forming takes place as that's when the foams and materials are at their most pliable. As long as you don't move around or shift around too much, you should be fine.

If they aren't baked correctly per instructions besides voiding warranty what else can happen?

I was looking for the instructions in the box and like a dummy didn't realize they were on the tag.

Not sure how long the dude at the lhs baked them for, but they left the inserts in during the whole process and they didn't have me stand at all during the process. I just sat there for bout 20 mins.

Curious. Would it be wise to bake these with Superfeet already in them?

No, instructions say not to. You run the risk of foam/plastic warp I suppose, especially given the long bake time.

Instead of starting a new thread...

Can someone please confirm NXG's are to be baked at 200 degrees for 2.5-3 minutes with both insole and tongue inserts taken OUT? Obviously the insoles go back in before lacing up but do I also put the tongue inserts back in as well? Stand for 2 minutes then sit til cool down, correct? Thanks in advance!