Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dsjunior1388

Washington Capitals 2013

My point was that since we all know that generally defense wins cups, as exciting as it is to watch Ovi light up the NHL during the regular season, once that dries up come playoff time, they don't have a chance.

What I'm really trying to say is that having massive numbers on the score sheet means squat if the system that allows that to happen is also one that can't succeed during the playoffs.

The problem with that theory is that you need the team to be good defensively, not just one player. Singling out a winger as a defensive liability on a team that has below average defensemen, three coaches in the last year and a half and a constantly changing cast in net, is disingenuous at best. The best offensive players in the game have always cheated a bit towards the offensive side of the puck. Even the worst defensive winger in the game is only worth a couple goals against over the course of the season and Ovechkin is nowhere close to that.

My point was that since we all know that generally defense wins cups, as exciting as it is to watch Ovi light up the NHL during the regular season, once that dries up come playoff time, they don't have a chance.

What I'm really trying to say is that having massive numbers on the score sheet means squat if the system that allows that to happen is also one that can't succeed during the playoffs.

When your team is in next to last place in the conference, the system isn't working. You can reduce your goals against as much as you want but not being able to score makes it impossible to win. All the team needed was a little better personnel on the blue line and/or better goaltending. What they have done in Washington should result in a new GM.

Exactly. They were much closer to a cup back then. And from an entertainment point of view, the team is unwatchable which hurts enthusiasm in the fan base. Let the guy play!

Impossible to succeed in the Playoffs if you can't make it in.

Well obviously there needs to be some balance there. Jeez, you'd think I had suggested that they don't need him to score goals.

Rumors out of Caps training camp is new coach Adam Oates wants Ovechkin to play right wing, try and come at opposing defenses with a different approach.

Just heard on the Caps game tonight that it has nothing to do with Ovechkin. Oates wants all RH shots on the right side of the ice and LH shots on the left. That's part of the reason they put Hamrlik on waivers, too many LH shot defensemen.

To me, this does not speak well of Oates as a coach. Control freak tendencies like this usually do not work out well in the end.

I don't see the Caps very often except for when they're playing the Habs or the Ottawa Senators but to me, it seems as though the problems go way deeper than Ovechkin. Look at Mike Green. He's only a shadow of his old self. His production has sunk quite a bit in the past three years going from average of just over a point per game to just over a half a point per game in the last three seasons (including this year). Coincidentally, Ovechkin's point per game has also gone down, the exception being Backstrom who's production has dipped a bit but nothing like Ovy and Green's production. So Ovechkin's problems may be a mix of Green having problems offensively, perhaps being unhappy with the coaches/systems he's had in the last three years and who knows what else. Wasn't there reports of him being out of shape as well?

One thing for sure, Ovechkin's crash and bang style seems to be all but gone which may be a good thing for him to enjoy any duration with his NHL career but at the same time maybe it's affecting the rest of his game as well. I may be wrong but it doesn't seem like Ovy's throwing his body around as much as he used to.

Add to the fact the coaching changes, the way Oates seems to be determined to have it his way and you've got a recipe for a team doing poorly. Or could it simply be that the Caps are just not as good as they were made to be? Backstrom, Ovy, Green and Ribeiro. After that it's pretty average in terms of offensive potential.

At some point, Green had to start paying a little attention to his defensive game, which still really isn't all that good. That alone will put a dent in the numbers he was putting up to start his career. The other factor is that defensemen in today's game simply can't maintain a point per game average. Sooner or later teams will game plan for someone like that. These days a strong offensive contributor from the blueline should land in the 45-55 point range for a full season.

You'd think Oates would have seen how well RH players do on the off-wing *cough*Stamkos*cough*

for me personally I'm a right shot and I hate playing on the right side. I like being on the off wing

Any coincidence that the Caps run has happened with Nik and Ovie playing together again? Most of Ovies goals are still coming from the left side of the ice too, despite playing RW.

Any coincidence that the Caps run has happened with Nik and Ovie playing together again? Most of Ovies goals are still coming from the left side of the ice too, despite playing RW.

Very good point. I was going to make exact same comment about him scoring while on the off-wing. A lot of those goals are on PP, though.

Very good point. I was going to make exact same comment about him scoring while on the off-wing. A lot of those goals are on PP, though.

A good number of the even strength goals that I have seen have come from that side as well.