Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

2013 Toronto Maple Leafs

I didn't watch much but the Pens got away with at least half a dozen significant penalties in the third period.

I didn't watch much but the Pens got away with at least half a dozen significant penalties in the third period.

OT was worse, but they weren't going to call anything it seems. Still, hell of a game.

Mike Komisarek waived his NMC and has been waived by the Leafs. If he is unclaimed (which is liekly at $4.5M) has has agreed to report to the Marlies.

I'm bummed he didn't work out, I really liked him w/ MTL.

So did I...right from his time in Hamilton. But once the number got to around the 3M area...I lost interest. He's a great $2-2.75M Defenseman...but as soon as he thought he had to play up to a $4.5M price tag....he was dead in the water.

I was excited when he posted a pic of himself and versteeg during training camp the first year they were here. They both turned out to be huge busts.

It seems to me that he's never been the same player since he had his ass handed to him by Lucic. Or maybe it was the fact that he no longer had Markov as a defense partner? I also think that the expectations might have been a bit high in TO when they signed him.

It seems to me that he's never been the same player since he had his ass handed to him by Lucic. Or maybe it was the fact that he no longer had Markov as a defense partner? I also think that the expectations might have been a bit high in TO when they signed him.

The latter is my guess.

Ugh, that was brutal. Allowing Boston back into the game with two weak goals. Thats 6 games in a row with a lead at some point in the game, and only 6 points to show for it. The defence that was there at the start of the season needs to get their crap together.

Ugh, that was brutal. Allowing Boston back into the game with two weak goals. Thats 6 games in a row with a lead at some point in the game, and only 6 points to show for it. The defence that was there at the start of the season needs to get their crap together.

On the other hand, I'll take 3 out of 4 points against Boston any time.

Kadri continues to roll.

It would be nice if they could win in a shootout though :facepalm:

This is all Reimer and his brutal glove hand. Not that everyone else is helping him out by not scoring.

But more than anything, none of these SO losses should have made it past regulation.

Very true, they shouldn't even be ending up in the shootout. Anyways, what are the thoughts on Phaneuf? I don't know about you but I'm getting pretty sick of him...

Very true, they shouldn't even be ending up in the shootout. Anyways, what are the thoughts on Phaneuf? I don't know about you but I'm getting pretty sick of him...

Sometimes I like him, the big hits and the bomb if a slapper (when it hits the net), and for going after weasels like Marchand.

But then there's the rest of the time, like when he's standing in front of the net scratching his ass while the game tying goal is being scored.

Considering what we gave up to get him, I'd keep him, but damn he's frustrating.

I also wish JVR hadn't slowed down. Lupul hasn't missed a beat though.

He is good for a few things just like you mentioned, maybe if he wasn't 1/100 for shots on net that slapper would be much more useful for us haha. I do feel like he has vastly improved on deciding when to throw the big hit and when not too, I noticed when he first came to the Leafs that everytime someone came down on a rush it seemed like he was always going for the highlight real hit, but I think he's matured a bit now and usually makes the right call.

On the other hand, I don't think he's all that great of a player. He always seems to be a step behind and just looks to slow to keep up with some of the forwards that seem to blow right by him on some occasions. And yeah that goal last night left me scratching my ass too thinking what was he even doing? I don't really want to see him go, but I wouldn't be opposed to it if we got a half decent package in return.

Lupul has been great all year, can't say enough about him, same goes with Kadri -- easily the best Leaf this year. It seems like JVR is a lot like Kessel, some days you really notice him and he makes a big impact and other games they might as well be a healthy scratch because they made zero impact. Nice to see Kulemin on the score sheet last night too.

Phaneuf is not captain material. The guy slept with a teammates wife.

I see countless TERRIBLE plays per game from this guy who is supposedly their #1 defender. Looks slow, and confused more often than not. Sure, he's got a massive slapshot, and can throw huge hits but his shot is almost never on net and he's reckless with hits out there - taking yourself out of position to check someone negates the benefits.

JVR has slowed down, but Carlyle is a good coach and will get him going again. I agree Lupul hasn't missed a beat and it's great to have him back in the lineup. Kadri is playing like an absolute stud, clearly something has clicked as he's playing like he wants more minutes and is getting rewarded for his hard work. Reimer needs to figure out how to deal with his rebound issues and freeze the puck when he gets a chance to avoid the scrambles generated off what should be a dead play.

Edit: Kessel's shows signs of greatness.. but he's too inconsistent, I wish he'd man up and get after it a little bit.

Kessel's play has improved though, overall. He actually backchecks now, something he didn't do before. He'd miss on a shot and sulk while the play goes the other way. His scoring is down, but the scoring of his linemates is up. I'm not sure which is actually better... a 1-dimensional 40 goal scorer, or a 2-dimensional 20 goal scorer.

JVR will get going again. Getting benched for most of the 3rd period last night (along with Kessel) might send a message.

I'm loving Carlyle though. My kind of style!

Reimers rebound control isn't great, but Scrivens rebound control is just plain terrible. But it's pretty clear to me that everyone is shooting high glove on Reimer, and most of the time, it's working.

I think they'll make the playoffs finally, and even might win a round (if its vs WPG or OTT I think it will be a close series). Cup contenders? No. But I finally see a sense of direction for the team. Dumping Lombardi and Connolly was definitely a good move.

I wish Frattin would return to form though, he was great in the first few games.

Phaneuf is the KIND of player I'd want for a captain, but he himself is not somebody I want.

But who better, at this point? Lupul? Kadri?

I'm seeing more and more Gilmour in Kadri, and I'm loving it.

I agree, Phaneuf is definitely not captain material and I think that's one piece the Leafs are missing on the team, they need some veteran leadership. I never agreed with Phaneuf being named captain but not much we can do about that. I really agree with Scopes' assessment of Phaneuf - he just looks out of it most of the time.

As far as who's better right now between Lupul and Kadri... I really don't know. Both are playing like total studs and seem to be working off each other flawlessly. Really hope they keep up this pace for the remainder of the year and hopefully Reimer figures out a couple kinks in his game right now and I think we'll finally be a lock in for the playoffs!

JVR has always been prone to extended slumps (streaks, as well), and the prodding and benchings associated with that have rarely worked in the past. It will say a lot about his maturation and development if he is able to rebound. I always liked his potential in Philly, but it always seemed like he was lacking a sort of "killer instinct".

I agree, Phaneuf is definitely not captain material and I think that's one piece the Leafs are missing on the team, they need some veteran leadership. I never agreed with Phaneuf being named captain but not much we can do about that. I really agree with Scopes' assessment of Phaneuf - he just looks out of it most of the time.

Not much we can do... but there is something the Leafs management can do 'bout that. However there is not much they can do about it with the current roster. I'd bring someone sort term in order to groom Kadri, JVR, Gardiner, etc to be the leaders in a few years. I don't have the answer to who, but hitching the wagon to Phaneauf ain't cutting it in my opinion.

After having no legs after playing Boston last night, this was a hell of a comeback. Sure, it's just the Panthers, but coming from behind after clearly being dead tired says a lot about a team.

After having no legs after playing Boston last night, this was a hell of a comeback. Sure, it's just the Panthers, but coming from behind after clearly being dead tired says a lot about a team.

Agreed, character win. Kadri and Lupul played like monsters and Phaneuf must have known we were chirping him because he came up big. That said, I'm not convinced, give Lupul the C.

Did you hear Carlyle the other night...talking about he had "misused" or "mismanaged" (can't remember the word he used...) JL when he was coach in Anaheim.

Out side of "...that loss is on me as the coach" cliche (or ones like it) in a PC after a game...you don't often hear coaches talk about their mistakes.

I like Randy...too bad he's coaching the Leafs :(