Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snapshot12

Fighting Penalties

I am a big believer in the idea that if a player willingly engages into a fight while wearing a face shield (visor), that player should be required to remove their helmet prior to the fight before throwing a punch (provided they are given sufficient time and space to do so by their opponent). I know that some of you may not agree, and like all things there is plenty of grey area for what does and doesn't fall under this hypothetical rule- but I am getting tired of watching guys with visors constantly starting brawls and just ducking their head down and using their visors as protection when push actually comes to shove. I'd love to hear your ideas/opinions on why you do or do not agree..

I wonder if that rule would change when(if) visors become mandatory?

I think there isn't always time to take off your helmet mid battle. Let be honest there is still plenty of face to punch under the visor

It’s an obscure subsection of Rule 46 in the NHL rulebook which states “if a player penalized as an instigator of an altercation is wearing a face shield (including a goalkeeper), he shall be assessed an additional unsportsmanlike penalty.”

Until this year, refs rarely called instigator penalties and it wasn't a factor. I think it should be amended to apply only if a player with a visor instigates with a player that does not have a visor or has already lost his helmet. If he engages another player with a visor, no penalty.

I'd prefer to see the instigator penalty abolished altogether.

That would be contrary to the direction the league has been going for a couple decades now. It would also be a really bad idea for all the reasons that we have discussed here time and again over the last 9 years.

That would be contrary to the direction the league has been going for a couple decades now. It would also be a really bad idea for all the reasons that we have discussed here time and again over the last 9 years.

Yea, I wish that wasn't the case, but it definitely is. Oh well.

I'd be afraid that if they take out the instigator rule then there would be to many times where a player would jump people from behind/attack unwilling players all to often. I wish would get rid of the rule and all would be okay, but I don't think some of the players would abuse it.

I think the instigator has to stay but that it should be modified a little. A guy grabs someone who lays a clean hit on his teammate, Instigator. A guy grabs someone who lays a blatant board/headshot/elbow type hit on teammate, fair game.