Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jbgordon

Bauer Holder Heights

About 6 months ago I got new skates, finally tossing my original Vapor 30s for Supreme One.9s. In doing so I went down a couple sizes...not only because of the difference between the Vapor and Supreme series fits but also because my Vapors had been sized incorrectly and were too big. I wore a 7D (263 holder size) in the vapors and I now wear a 5.5D (246 holder size) in the Supremes. So, I'm now in junior skates.

I tend to wear my skates loose, with the top eyelet undone, and when I turn, I flex my knees a lot. I've noticed with the Supremes that I bottom out and hit the side of the boot a lot more than I ever did in my Vapors, and I end up losing an edge. So, I want to upgrade the current LS2 holders to the Edge holders to get the added height and therefore added angle to alleviate this problem. I'm also wondering if I should try to go up a size in holder so that I'm using a senior sized holder which seems to be taller than a junior. When I compare the heights of the holders on my Vapors to those on my Supremes, there is a significant difference. Would the hole patterns be too close for a LHS to drill new holes for a size 254 holder? Would it make more sense to put in shims instead? Also, what is the difference in height between a 246 holder and a 254 holder?

Thanks!

I think shims on front and back would be your best bet. A little can go a long way. Maybe an 1/8" would do the trick. Longer holders are always better though IMO. Not for height, but length.

Jason, thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll see if my LHS can put in some shims when they put on the Edge holders. I agree that that would be the easiest solution, just wondering if it's also possible to go one size up on the holder, or if that's risky. I'm in the Boston area and would probably go to Sports Etc. but don't know their capabilities or experience with this sort of thing and don't really want them to screw up basically new skates.

I think Jason is suggesting putting front and back lifts on your existing holders.

Another solution could be as simple as taller steel Step or LS 3 etc.

Ah, ok, got it. That does seem cheaper. My only worry with going to taller steel is that eventually it will wear down enough that I'll be back to where I am, but I guess that's a cheaper fix. Does STEP make steel in the junior sizes? It doesn't look like HockeyMonkey carries it.

One other option if you were wanting the longer steel footprint might be the LS 2.1 power runners which were supposed to be equivalent to the runner from the next size up holder. You would still need the shims, and I am not positive if the 2.1's were available for junior sizes or not but it is a thought.

Yeah, those came on the skates, and I do like them. Does anyone know if Step makes the XL steel in a 246 size? It looks like I won't have any options for longer steel if I go with the Edge holders.

Use your current holders with a thin shim and get some Step XL runners. That should do the trick.

Ah, ok, got it. That does seem cheaper. My only worry with going to taller steel is that eventually it will wear down enough that I'll be back to where I am, but I guess that's a cheaper fix. Does STEP make steel in the junior sizes? It doesn't look like HockeyMonkey carries it.

Step does make the 2.1 in the 246. It is approx 3mm longer on each end but keep in mind pretty much none of the extra length touches the ice while skating. The 2.1 is more of a gimmick and most skaters get no benefit. The benefit from the 2.1 is from the longer stock radius it has over the LS2's. So if you can't find it the regular Step LS2 will be fine. With shims that should help with your issues.

A very easy and no cost solution would be to do up your top eyelit to eliminate the sideways flexion that allows the less stiff boot to bottom out. I see this all the time with players I work with. Not saying they have to be done up tight just have to be done up. Pretty sure it will be mostly eliminated from just that. Next would be Step Steel and should have the problem solved!