Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ddowell21

stick handling curves for inline

I have been using the Bauer pm9 curve. I wanted to try a different curve to see if I could control the puck a bit better. So I went with the p92 because it supposed to be the stickhandlers curve. The p92 was a little too extreme. Is there a curve kind of between the two? I was thinking of the p88. Any suggestions for a curve for inline that offers good puck control. Does not necessarily have to be Bauer.

The p 88. Is the jack of all trades type of curve. It's not really extreme in anyway and depends on the user to have the skill. To do what he needs. Honestly I would just use what you have an practice with it. No blade is going to make you great.

Its tough to say one curve is the end all be all curve because everybody plays different and may prefer one thing over the other. I find a curve with a little more depth to be easier to control the puck, also helps a little with shooting. Depth wise the P92 and the P88 are the same (1/2") but the P92 is a more open curve where as the P88 is more closed and tame. I prefer the P92 over the P88 for shooting but favor the P88 for everything else, that's why I think the E36 curve is going to be a big hit. Very close in shape and style as the P88 but with a slightly open face. Might want to take a look at that too.

I've used the P88 for most of hockey life and really liked it for ice hockey but not as much for inline. I just recently started using the Sherwood PP01 Smith curve and I really like it for inline hockey. It's listed as mid-curve but it feels more like a toe to me. I suggest checking the PP01 in lieu of the PP88.

Hey, similar question to the op. I have been using Easton zetterberg blades for a couple of seasons. It is good for most things, especially passing and back hands, however after using a sakic messing around my shooting is better with that curve. Is there anything between the two curves?

The sakic is too extreme and I'd like to retain the positives of the flatter blade.

P2 or P4 cammalleri or a P7 Iginla or a E36. All of these fall between a zetterberg and a sakic with variations in curve and lie to choose from. Personally I use the P4 or E36 as I prefer the lower lie.

I've come to the realization that practice does more good with any stick than continuing to try different combinations. I had been using the Zetterberg curve because it was just a good start and honestly what was easily available. I would agree it's a good all around curve for me. Recently picked up a Hall/Sakic curve blade and my initial impressions were this thing is awesome. Stick handling seemed to immediately improve and I felt like I had tad more zing to my shots. Only place I really suffered was on slappers and backhand. Backhand being the worst of the bunch.

I played some pick-up last night and decided to give my Zetterberg another shot and I honestly preferred it. Instantly had a better backhand and didn't feel like anything else suffered.

I have been using the Kopitar (P92 clone), and love it for shooting and lifting the puck in close, and also general stickhandling. Both of these functions are natural with this curve. However, passing is a challenge, as everything saucers on me, unless I consciously think about keeping my hands down (which is not easy for me, as I am just making a comeback after a 17 year layoff; so, when I am tired, and excited to pass to someone open in front, I am not calm enough to remember these mechanics). I also fired a wrist shot from the point, which sailed about 10 feet over the goalie's head. Poor mechanics, shot off my back foot, but still, this would not happen with a closed face toe.

Also, because I keep my hands low when I skate and stickhandle, and as there is a bit of a rocker on the Kopitar, I often fan on passes when I carry the puck from the Defense and try to play the puck up to the RW (I am a righty). I run into an issue where the toe is slightly elevated off of the ice, and the puck finds the gap as I try to move it from heel to toe for the pass, and then the opposing F has a breakaway. This is very annoying to me, and would be epically horrific if this happened in an official game/ tourney. Interestingly enough, I never fan on shots- wristers/ snaps/ and slapshots all work just fine with the Kopitar. When I slap the puck to make passes, it always works fine, but again, I am not consciously thinking, "Slap the puck, keep your hands forward, don't forget about the rocker, etc."

So, I just threw a Zetterberg (P88 clone) pattern onto one of my shafts, and have been stickhandling around my apartment. I am optimistic that this curve will solve this problem of fanning on passes, and will have me in a more natural hands position (for me) with the lower lie. We will see though once I get out on the ice. The extra 2 inch elevation from being on skates, and intensity of skating hard around the ice, could throw off my whole theory here that this is the right paddle for me. I am willing to sacrifice the ease of lifting the puck in close, for the benefits I figure to receive with this paddle (easier pass reception, more favorable lie for me, less rocker, etc.), considering I usually play defense anyway.