Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ethan_zak

Do D1 hockey colleges have tryouts?

When I was in school (some time ago) my school did. I'd think that a walk-on player would have to really impress the staff to make the team. Lots of recruitment promises/scholarship offers made before anyone even takes the ice.

Very few D1 schools have open tryouts and the level of D1 hockey is so high that I cannot imagine someone walking on who hasn't played junior as a high level. Maybe a kid who had been scouted and something happened and now he's back - that kind of thing. As for going from inline to ice at a D1 level - FORGET IT!! You have no idea how good those kids are and where they played. Take a look at the rosters. All played USHL, BCHL, OHL, QMJHL, etc...

Do they have tryouts? If so, how likely is it that you make the team?

Also, have any inline players gone directly to college ice hockey?

I did. Now my school was not NCAA D1, but I played roller hockey my entire life. I went to school and, my school at the time had a ACHA D3 team and I got to know some of the guys pretty well. We would play street hockey together they then asked me to play on the team with them. I started playing a little before winter break just practicing with them. I spent my entire winter break playing open hockey and stick and puck, by the time I got back to school you never would have known I just started playing ice hockey. Moral of the story is yes it is possible, but you do have to practice at it and work at it. NCAA D1 might be a stretch, but if you're willing to put the time and effort in go for it. I read in another post you're only 13 so you have some time before college. Just enjoy playing now.

I remember Matt Murray making the UW Badgers as a walk on one year. He was practice squad and then he was put in the lineup so suddenly that he was playing without a name bar on his jersey. He was a solid regular in the lineup for the rest of his eligibility. But, again as the link shows, he played top level US junior hockey before going to college. It's possible, but the odds are long.

In DI hockey most walk-ons are recruited walk-ons. They are recruited by the coaches, but they don't receive any scholarships. After a couple of years they may earn some scholarship money. Very few schools will have an open tryout. If you are hoping to play DI hockey you will need to contact the coach first to set-up a tryout. If you are in high school, start sending game tape out to coaches and let them know you are interested in their program.

Very few D1 schools have open tryouts and the level of D1 hockey is so high that I cannot imagine someone walking on who hasn't played junior as a high level. Maybe a kid who had been scouted and something happened and now he's back - that kind of thing. As for going from inline to ice at a D1 level - FORGET IT!! You have no idea how good those kids are and where they played. Take a look at the rosters. All played USHL, BCHL, OHL, QMJHL, etc...

No one in D1 hockey will have played in the OHL or The Q. The NCAA considers anyone who has played or been in a position to play in these leagues to have played in a quasi pro league due to the number of players who have already signed pro contracts. You can attend a prospect camp of less than 48 hours and play intersquad games only. Any play in an exhibition or regular season CHL game will render you ineligible for D1.

The NCAA and the CHL have been back and forth arguing over this issue for some time.

When I was in school (some time ago) my school did. I'd think that a walk-on player would have to really impress the staff to make the team. Lots of recruitment promises/scholarship offers made before anyone even takes the ice.

I probably should add that the guys who were out of place were asked to return for the 1st JV practive pretty quickly, sometimes after the first skate.

Yes, at least when I was in college.

The best shot would be in the Ivy League, which has the only DI schools without athletic scholarships. However even at those schools, the recruited athletes essentially have to play themselves out of a roster spot. My personal experience is dated (the early 90s).

No one in D1 hockey will have played in the OHL or The Q. The NCAA considers anyone who has played or been in a position to play in these leagues to have played in a quasi pro league due to the number of players who have already signed pro contracts. You can attend a prospect camp of less than 48 hours and play intersquad games only. Any play in an exhibition or regular season CHL game will render you ineligible for D1.

The NCAA and the CHL have been back and forth arguing over this issue for some time.

I stand corrected... when I was younger they could. Thanks for the clarification.

Gilroy walked on to BU did he not?

Played high level junior - EJHL

Gilroy is also an NHL talent.

As for walking onto an Ivy, those rosters aren't any easier to crack (Yale just won a National Championship, Cornell/Dartmouth/Brown/Harvard are always highly ranked). Aside from that, if you don't have a coach pulling strings for you via recruitment, its extremely difficult to get into those schools to begin with).

In DI hockey most walk-ons are recruited walk-ons. They are recruited by the coaches, but they don't receive any scholarships. After a couple of years they may earn some scholarship money. Very few schools will have an open tryout. If you are hoping to play DI hockey you will need to contact the coach first to set-up a tryout. If you are in high school, start sending game tape out to coaches and let them know you are interested in their program.

This is how it was for a walk-on back in the 80's.... If you wanted them to give you a look you had to send the coach an intro letter, some tape and some references.... get yourself on their radar screen and at least willing to give you a sniff. There were a lot less opportunities to get noticed back then. I would think that it is much harder to do now with the higher number of "AAA travel programs" and the alphabet soup of Junior leagues out there.... Roller to D1, that could be pretty tough.