Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bunnyman666

"I hate sharp skates!"; ignorance or victim of a hack sharpener?

I tried a 3/8" FBV yesterday and I really, really dug it. I'm 5'8" and around 170#. I usually go 1/2", but the ice has gotten a LOT harder because of the weather.

As far as it goes, mcne0101- What does it hurt to experiment? I'd actually try 1/2" for sh**s and giggles. Do you find yourself rubbing your skates on wood after a sharpening? I'd try a shallower hollow.

I've tried 1/2", it felt "too sharp"...usually after i get my skate sharpened, even at 5/8" I'll rub each foot on the plastic on the floor where the bench door opens.

People confuse sharp with depth. I can tell you right now that you're not skating on a hollow that is optimized for you. You should start at a starting point and continue to go up til you feel like it's not enough, then scale it back down.

Once you find that hollow, there will always be an easy transition to it, and no need to "dull" them. Nor should a sharp skate feel "sharp" either; that's just a poor sharpening that you're feeling the burrs from. A good sharpening shouldn't feel that way, it should essentially be surgical.

Interesting thought, I'll give 3/4" a shot.

I've tried 1/2", it felt "too sharp"...usually after i get my skate sharpened, even at 5/8" I'll rub each foot on the plastic on the floor where the bench door opens.

Interesting thought, I'll give 3/4" a shot.

After my dad opened up his own shop, that strictly sharpens skates. (They do some of the Buffalo Sabres, and a local D1 team). The skate tech first put the edge level checker on my skates, and boy were they off. But even though, he asked what I wanted and after skating on a 1/2" nearly my whole life, I said that they always felt way too sharp. He suggested 3/4".......and it was perfect. They were still "sharp," but boy were they perfect. The bad part was when I came back to school and told the local store what I wanted they looked at me like I was insane, and the sharpener told me that he would never be able to skate on a hollow that shallow. Needless to say when I asked that sharpener to put the edge level on my skates, they were way off. When I showed him, he responded that it was due to the wear and tear on the edge level.

After my dad opened up his own shop, that strictly sharpens skates. (They do some of the Buffalo Sabres, and a local D1 team). The skate tech first put the edge level checker on my skates, and boy were they off. But even though, he asked what I wanted and after skating on a 1/2" nearly my whole life, I said that they always felt way too sharp. He suggested 3/4".......and it was perfect. They were still "sharp," but boy were they perfect. The bad part was when I came back to school and told the local store what I wanted they looked at me like I was insane, and the sharpener told me that he would never be able to skate on a hollow that shallow. Needless to say when I asked that sharpener to put the edge level on my skates, they were way off. When I showed him, he responded that it was due to the wear and tear on the edge level.

To be honest the leveling tool has its draw backs. The tool it self is painted and use tends to cause the paint to wear off and make grooves in the metal. Once this has happened the tool can't provide a reliable measurement. Assuming you are talking about the two part leveling tool, one part tightens onto the blade and the other piece is magnetic and sticks to the blade. Its a good way to double check but by no means super reliable or a tell all tool. Just a warning, not siding with either sharpener you mentioned.

I'm extremely glad to hear this. I have trained ALL of my employees to know hollows and to convey that back to the customer.

They do a wonderful job, have been nothing but helpful the times I've been there. Now I've gotta get my platinum card, who can pass up free sharpenings?

To be honest the leveling tool has its draw backs. The tool it self is painted and use tends to cause the paint to wear off and make grooves in the metal. Once this has happened the tool can't provide a reliable measurement. Assuming you are talking about the two part leveling tool, one part tightens onto the blade and the other piece is magnetic and sticks to the blade. Its a good way to double check but by no means super reliable or a tell all tool. Just a warning, not siding with either sharpener you mentioned.

Use a strip of electrical tape on there and you will get correct readings; the tape gets scored up and you just replace it. I had a magnetic angle last me for 7 years.

Use a strip of electrical tape on there and you will get correct readings; the tape gets scored up and you just replace it. I had a magnetic angle last me for 7 years.

I will try that actually. Hopefully my tool isn't too far gone. If not I'll know what to do with the new one. Thanks!

What you'll do is remove the magnet housing and flip it to the other side of the magnetic angle. Make sure the magnet is centered, then you can put some krazy glue on it if it's no longer sticky.

So, if you have a Maximum Edge or Blademaster sticker that you see when you put it on the blade, put the magnet on that edge of the angle.

People confuse sharp with depth. I can tell you right now that you're not skating on a hollow that is optimized for you. You should start at a starting point and continue to go up til you feel like it's not enough, then scale it back down.

Once you find that hollow, there will always be an easy transition to it, and no need to "dull" them. Nor should a sharp skate feel "sharp" either; that's just a poor sharpening that you're feeling the burrs from. A good sharpening shouldn't feel that way, it should essentially be surgical.

I know a lot of this will be personal preference but im wondering where a good starting point for me would be. im just getting into some rec ice this year and i took my skates to be sharpened the other day, i was expecting him to ask how i like it but he just took them and did whatever, and it didnt hit me to ask about hollow until after i left. i know he knows what he is doing bc i went here recommended by others but is there a "default" hollow sharpeners put in if you dont ask? should i assume he may of gave me something a little bit shallower bc he may of seen i was a bigger guy?

im 5' 7"-250lbs by the way, any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, most sharpeners don't have your preferences in mind.

Very, very few care about what the skater actually wants.

figured as much, well ill hit the ice and see how it feels. i can go back to the same place and ask him if he remembers what he did or what he usually does and go from there.