Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Bauer OD1N Project

With the omission of Philadelphia Flyers' Claude Giroux from Team Canada for the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics, I wonder if Bauer will select another player to wear its OD1N products or if they will remain with the status quo. If they opt for the former, is there enough time to produce and customize the Protective Body Suit and Skates for the player? If they opt for the latter, I guess they're crossing their fingers that Giroux is named as a replacement?

Also, I know it was mentioned during the Press Conference that some of the players had already started wearing the OD1N products, but I wonder if the ODIN Skates will debut in a NHL game before the Olympics.

From the way the product and fitting process was described, I would think its way too late to fit another player with the products, but there are others here who would know better than I would.

As for Giroux, given the amount of money and time they spent on the product and the fitting I would think they would want him to wear them during the regular season, just not till after the Olympics. In fact, I believe someone mentioned that the players would be able to continue to wear the skates after the Olympics till the steel was gone (~30 sharpenings or so).

Pro players use off season periods when there's nothing at stake to get used to far less drastic equipment changes, so with Olympic medals on the line, I don't think Ovi or any one else wanting to stay within a comfort zone can necessarily be assumed to be a reflection on the skates.

yeah, makes complete sense! Excited to see certain features from these skates work their way down to retail. may take a few years but it will eventually occur.

You'd think the players would use up the blade (30 sharpenings) just breaking in the boots before the Olympics.

Between the round robin and medal rounds a player could see as many as 7 games. Add to that a couple days of practice leading up as well as morning skates and off day skates and depending on a players' preferences for sharpenings you could see a guy burning thru those 30 sharpenings pretty quickly. Nobody wants to be down to their last shred of steel in the gold medal game. Not to mention, with the way the skates were formed and built, there should be zero break in time.

I'm pretty sure they made more than just a single pair of skates for each player, just not enough to last for a significant amount of time past the Olympics.

I'm pretty sure they made more than just a single pair of skates for each player, just not enough to last for a significant amount of time past the Olympics.

"The skate does not have an outsole; it is integrated into the holder, which is a carbon fiber holder with a molded, thinner blade, which is sharpenable, however, not serviceable.

The holder is designed to last for the Olympics, and that's it."

You misunderstand me entirely. I'm saying, why would they only make a single pair of the *skates* for each guy? That has nothing to do with the special nature of the holder.

"The skate does not have an outsole; it is integrated into the holder, which is a carbon fiber holder with a molded, thinner blade, which is sharpenable, however, not serviceable.

But the holder is replaceable isn't it? Unless it's fused to the boot as well as riveted on, it looks like it's attached the same way as any other holder.

nyntwun, can I assume you are trying to direct our attention to the Nike logo on their hockey pants?

Ya. I'm interested to know why Bauer would give their athletes revolutionary new product, made by Bauer for Bauer athletes, then give them one of the pieces of the protective with a swoosh on it. Nike has been out of protective for nearly 6 years. Bauer initiated this project a year or so ago. Why would Bauer create a product that boasts "The Future is Now" but very quietly give some credit to another company?

Those are probably the team Canada pants/shells. Nike is the official Olympic uniform supplier.

Why would Kane and Backstrom be wearing Black? I thought of that, but while the product is for the Olympics, it's still a Bauer product and these were closed demos for the players. Can't tell me they didn't have Bauer shells or even blank shells for their unveiling to the athletes.

Edit: I see what you're saying. They just used Canada pants. But my point above, why wouldn't they just use blanks?

They probably had to be designed to work with the Nike shells they'll be wearing for the Olympics and therefore just have some generic black versions to do the fitting and testing with.

They probably had to be designed to work with the Nike shells they'll be wearing for the Olympics and therefore just have some generic black versions to do the fitting and testing with.

Bingo, there's a reason why they're blacked out.

You misunderstand me entirely. I'm saying, why would they only make a single pair of the *skates* for each guy? That has nothing to do with the special nature of the holder.

The outsole of the "skate" is integrated into the "holder".

The construction of the skate has nothing to do with whether or not there are spares. I highly doubt there are only 6 pairs in existence. It would make absolutely no sense to do all this without having a backup set or two for each player.

The construction of the skate has nothing to do with whether or not there are spares. I highly doubt there are only 6 pairs in existence. It would make absolutely no sense to do all this without having a backup set or two for each player.

It makes very little sense to create a product without making plans for retail, but they're doing that anyway.

It makes very little sense to create a product without making plans for retail, but they're doing that anyway.

Happens all the time with concept cars in the auto industry. The idea is to create wild ideas, some pieces of which could be commercialized at a reasonable cost and brought to retail. As has been said many times in this thread, we will likely see some pieces of the OD1N technology at retail eventually.