Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chapel

Loop locking your skates

I use two sets of loop locks when tying now. one at the ankle and one at the top.

20140323-161006.jpg

I do this because I can use the loop lock to ratchet my feet in at the ankle and at the top... makes for a tight fit without strangling me. It also spreads the torque of the two tightest laces over two eyelets

really helps with lace bite on my running shoes... figured it might help some of you skaters.

It does and it doesn't help. I've had to use the loop lock once and it was because I wasn't getting good enough heel lock in my Grafs. The downside was that it sacrificed forward flex and put a lot of stress on the eyelets.

It should be considered a temporary fix to an improper fit.

It can offer a really snug fit. Depends where you put the locks. I don't strangle my feet, but it helps me lock my feet in properly. I use old Bauer Supreme Power 1000s, so it may not be ideal for fancy new ones, but give it a try.

Homez maybe you can try a skate lock kit like they have on Reebok skates. It allows you to tighten two zones independently from each other. They sell Reebok replacement lock but not sure it will fit on other brands of skates. But by the look of them they just appear to go over the current eylet. I'm also guessing you can use more than one set on a skate. These will definitely give you a tight fit

JR, you mentioned that there are two versions of the Skatelock. One of them goes through any eyelet.

Does this mean that I could "install" them on Easton skates?
If this is correct, where can I find them? I did several Google searches (Skatelock, LaceLock, Lace-lock, etc.) but I couldn't find anything.

Thanking you in advance.

Thank you JR.

Now I understand: One is to replace a missing or broken Skatelock. The other is to replace the Skatelock and put a regular eyelet instead.

When I saw your first post about "any eyelet" I got confused. I was hoping to find something similar to put on any skates (Easton in my case).

But I get it that it cannot be done.

modern skates may not need this, especially thermoformable ones.

I've never had a lace bite problem, but it definitely helps when skates aren't broken in yet.

Thank you JR.

Now I understand: One is to replace a missing or broken Skatelock. The other is to replace the Skatelock and put a regular eyelet instead.

When I saw your first post about "any eyelet" I got confused. I was hoping to find something similar to put on any skates (Easton in my case).

But I get it that it cannot be done.

Ugh - actually now I'm confused!

I know there's a way to make an eyelet into a Skatelock - give me a couple of days to experiment.

Wait, upon further look - I think you have to take the regular Skatelock and remove it (or buy the standard Skatelock) and put in a flat helmet screw (the ones that CCM uses for dome snaps on helmet) and round helmet washer in the eyelet to get it to work. I know I've done it before - mind's just hazy.

I ordered the regular ones from Hockey Giant. For $20, including shipping, I thought I would give it a try.

I'll keep you posted about the results.

I put some skatelocks on a pair of Vapors for a friend of mine. Used the (square) flat nut from an old pair of MLXs on the inside, through the eyelet. Used a Dremel to grind the screw flush with the backing once it was tight.

I have used the flattest smallest female part of the screw set that Reebok puts on the inside of its helmets. They are the most flush without havingto dremel afterwards.

I have used the flattest smallest female part of the screw set that Reebok puts on the inside of its helmets. They are the most flush without havingto dremel afterwards.

Yeah, those are definitely good. They're the ones with the ribs on the ring.