Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Accord

Old school skate sizing

How did skate sizing work back in the 70's and whatnot? Were skate sizes pretty much equivelant to shoe sizes or were they 2-3 sizes smaller than shoe sizes like most modern skates are?

I think it was usually get whatever you could.....Ive heard of teams getting together and swapping equipment that didnt fit anymore with eachother (someone on here I think)

I think they were true to your shoe...

Bauer actually size true to shoe size - UK shoe size at least. Maybe American shoe makers used to make shoes in those sizes too, but one day thought "hey - you know what they say about guys with big feet - if I label my shoes a size bigger, maybe the girls will like me more!" Of course hockey players don't need to brag, so you end up with CCM and Bauer sizing small.

Ok, maybe that's not quite how it went, but then how else do you explain it?

How did skate sizing work back in the 70's and whatnot? Were skate sizes pretty much equivelant to shoe sizes or were they 2-3 sizes smaller than shoe sizes like most modern skates are?

2-3 sizes?

Try 1 to 1.5.

How did skate sizing work back in the 70's and whatnot?  Were skate sizes pretty much equivelant to shoe sizes or were they 2-3 sizes smaller than shoe sizes like most modern skates are?

2-3 sizes?

Try 1 to 1.5.

I wear a size 10.5 shoe and I wear a 7.5 CCM/Bauer skate, that's a difference of 3 whole sizes.

well one thing to remember is many people today where stuff (sneakers, shoes) etc that are about a size bigger than what they actually wear..

i haven't seen a change in skate sizing in the years i've been playing hockey..and considering i've been in the same size skate (the odd skate like 2090 roller being the one exception)..since about '86...and when i went back and even used some of the old man's stuff for the pond..found it fit the same..different materials..but same basic sizing.

Okay.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything. What do I know? You're the expert. The guy who has returned three pair of skates...:rolleyes:

Jeeze, my shoes fit me just fine, why are you making such a big deal out of trying to tell me they don't? :blink:

I am telling you that skates do not generally run 2-3 shoe sizes down! If you want me to break it down for you, I will.

I wear a size 12 in Timberlands. I wear a size 12.5 in New Balance sneakers, a size 13 in adidas and a 13.5 in Nike. And I wear a size 11 Bauer, and a 10.5 CCM. But we're talking about shoe size, not sneaker size. SOOOOOOOOOO...look at that! I'm 1 to 1.5 down from my shoe size!

The scale does not lie. I deal with people who come in all the time and tell me "Well, that's not possible, my shoes are this size." Guess what. Your shoes are NOT the right size...people buy bigger shoes so they are more supple and comfortable, but skates must fit exact.

In your case, you chose NOT to go by what the scale says, but by your assumptions. And you've assumed wrong. Three times over.

I am telling you that skates do not generally run 2-3 shoe sizes down!  If you want me to break it down for you, I will.

I wear a size 12 in Timberlands.  I wear a size 12.5 in New Balance sneakers,  a size 13 in adidas and a 13.5 in Nike.  And I wear a size 11 Bauer, and a 10.5 CCM.  But we're talking about shoe size, not sneaker size.  SOOOOOOOOOO...look at that!  I'm 1 to 1.5 down from my shoe size!

The scale does not lie.  I deal with people who come in all the time and tell me "Well, that's not possible, my shoes are this size."  Guess what.  Your shoes are NOT the right size...people buy bigger shoes so they are more supple and comfortable, but skates must fit exact.

In your case,  you chose NOT to go by what the scale says, but by your assumptions.  And you've assumed wrong.  Three times over.

I am going exactly by your scale! You wear a 13.5 Nike shoe and a 10.5 CCM skate, that's a difference is exactly 3 sizes. All of the shoes that I own are 10.5 Nike running and basketball shoes I fit like a glove into them, and I fit like a glove into a 7.5 and CCM/Bauer skate... which like you, is exactly a difference of 3 sizes.

According to you, the difference between Nike shoes and CCM skates are 3 sizes, and that's exactly what I posted!

When I was referring to shoe sizes earlier in this thread, I was referring to Nike shoe sizes. I should have been more specific and clarified exactly what brand of shoe I was talking about, since different brands have slightly different sizes. I can't even remember the last time I wore a shoe that wasn't made by Nike, I should have been more clear.

*sniff sniff* mmm I wonder what that could be? OH NO its an angry black man who uses too much Bounce! wtf he's wielding a hockey stick? damn thats the crazyiest thing ive ever seen!

holding my breath for JRs reaction

EDIT damn I was too slow

*sniff sniff* mmm I wonder what that could be? OH NO its an angry black man who uses too much Bounce! wtf he's wielding a hockey stick? damn thats the crazyiest thing ive ever seen!

holding my breath for JRs reaction

EDIT damn I was too slow

lol, that was pretty random...

Notes from antiquity.....

I pretty much used to wear the same skate size as shoe size in CCM, Bauer and Daoust back in the day..except the Bauers were usually E width instead of stock because they fit more narrow than CCM or Daoust. I had friends who wore their skates deliberately undersized with the toes scrunched into the end of the skates, but that was pp, and only dubiously could be called "fit".

I wore the same as shoe size even in the 90's with CCM's until the 852's, where I wore one size smaller. Nexeds were one size smaller, but my famous "your mother wears army boots" K2 Hockey Pro's were the same as shoe sizes. I think that the skate sizing has changed somewhat, although JR's point about kids wanting to wear larger than necessary shoes...in general...I think has merit. Large feet...large.....etc.

I know my son wears 1 size smaller than normal shoe sizing(which is hard to define as they vary as much as the skates) shoe size 10, skates size 9, in Graf and Tour although the Grafs were a bit tighter, Nexeds also. In CCM ice 852/s...1052's he wore 8.5, and in Nike HiHo's he wears an 8.

i'm actually the sort of reverse when it comes to sneakers, i have size 10 forces, but my running shoes (nike vapor something or rather) are size 8, with my toes touching the tip. i find that it feels more like a part of my foot when my shoes are smaller. true to skates being 1.0-1.5 sizes smaller, my 8090's are size 7