Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

Stopped two shots in a shootout to win 4-3. That felt good after letting in two softies. One was a knucklepuck that was so slow I changed my mind three times on what to do, eventually deciding to butterfly and catch the puck between my legs instead of using my stick. Went off my glove and down between my legs. The other, the shooter lost control of it as I was moving right to left to make the save... and in it goes. Crap. Still, felt good to get the win especially after stopping their two best players in the shootout.

I was joking after the game that if they had not shot the puck so hard in the shootout they may have won...

Oh, and made a glove save with under 1 second to go in the 3rd period to get it to the SO in the first place (no OT where we play).

For us beginning goalies; is it OK to have a batting glove in the trapper, like with a baseball mitt?

• Like 1

For us beginning goalies; is it OK to have a batting glove in the trapper, like with a baseball mitt?

i actually tried that out for the first time last week in my game and loved it. i was able to keep a good grip inside the glove without the sweat that caused it to get slippery.(2 month old eflex 500)

i may try to find a thinner glove to wear, like a golf glove that would give me a little better feel than the easton batting glove i wore.

• Like 1

I don't see why not. If it fits and helps you feel more comfortable with it. Is it for padding? Look at some photos from goalies in the 80s/90s - half of them have some kind of gloves on under both their blocker and trapper.

• Like 1

I don't see why not. If it fits and helps you feel more comfortable with it. Is it for padding? Look at some photos from goalies in the 80s/90s - half of them have some kind of gloves on under both their blocker and trapper.

It is for snugness, grip, and to keep sweat away from the leather. I used to wear a glove inside my baseball glove, so it's what I'm used to.

I imagine that it might hinder puck handling and passing.

I won't be sticking my index finger out, though.

Edited by ktang

Skated with the nerd hockey again after a long hiatus (while the rink was closed for maintenance). Two hours of ice, plenty of shots, good defense. One difference that I'm noticing more with them is that not only do they pass amongst each other more than most skates, but they're very good at moving without the puck as well. This makes it even more difficult for me, which is fantastic for awareness of myself in the crease and awareness of the puck in general. (It's also frustrating since I'm not very good and holy %@*(!! where did the puck go??)

My teammate gave me a warm-up that was essentially a mini-drill while the other players were sorting themselves out (we were on the ice early and it takes about 5 or 10 minutes for everyone to get on the ice). He actually lines up pucks and very precisely shoots them at me - glove, legs, blocker, five-hole - while giving me pointers. He does this often. I am basically spoiled for every other pickup or game ever. YMMV, of course, but for me, I appreciate it.

It is for snugness, grip, and to keep sweat away from the leather. I used to wear a glove inside my baseball glove, so it's what I'm used to.

I imagine that it might hinder puck handling and passing.

I won't be sticking my index finger out, though.

I wouldn't think it would hinder you. Batting gloves are pretty snug and thin anyway. Or, as BeeDee suggests, a golf glove.

• Like 1

I have seen plenty of goalies with some type of glove. Pretty sure the King uses some type of thin cotton or lycra glove.

2013-04-27-164619388bb00075-new-jersey.j

Edited by SirJW
  • Like 1

I read that Lundquist uses cotton gloves for sweat management. I was thinking that they would be much thinner than batting gloves to give him better feel, though.

I'm a beginning goalie, so I think I should n't be worrying about feel. Also, after all that effort cleaning out the 2nd-hand trapper, I want to keep the sweat off it.

The batting glove gives me better grip and fills the voids in the trapper fingers.

Besides Lundquist, do any other goalies use the inside gloves?

Can't wait to try this out on the ice!

recorded my first assist tonight as well as won in a 7 round shootout, stopped all 7 shots!!

Edited by beedee
  • Like 5

Not exactly an equipment review, but seeing as how I sweat like a pack of Finnish players celebrating in a sauna, I should try an adjunct to my stock sweatband. I got one of those cooling headbands - the specific brand is Arctic Cool, and I'm not sure if that's a store brand of where I bought it or not. It's all one long strip so when I tie it on it makes me look like a pirate or Kelly Hrudey having an off day. I don't know that it cooled "immediately to 30F below body temperature" like the tag said, but it was actually nicely cool and I think I ended up sweating a lot less. None of that accidental eye-burn. Thin fabric, flexible, very low-profile - even the knot didn't get in the way of my mask or anything. It seems like a good option for those of us more furnace-esque types.

• Like 1

I'm tempted to try just using no-sweats in my mask instead of a sweatband. They worked wonders in my player helmet.

Also if I went to maltese padding I wouldn't use a sweatband in my helmet at all. I think I'd prefer to just give my face a shot of water occasionally instead.

I use the Sham sweatbands (I made at home). They are awesome.

Even with my Maltese padding. I find the padding isn't absorbant enough to go without a sweatband.

I saw the no-sweats on goalie monkey, but I think I'd go through them too fast to make it worth it. At least the terrycloth bands I can wash.

You can wash the Sham sweatbands too, just not put them in the dryer. They absorb way more than a regular terry band, and they are a little grippy when they get wet, so they hold your mask in place a little better as you sweat.

• Like 1

I use the Sham sweatbands (I made at home). They are awesome.

Even with my Maltese padding. I find the padding isn't absorbant enough to go without a sweatband.

That's the point, I wouldn't want it to be absorbent.

I switched to sham and it's definitely better than the stock Bauer one.

Had a pretty good night at pickup on Tuesday night. Starts at 9:20 and didn't let the first goal in until after 10pm. Only five total. Unfortunately I didn't charge my gopro first so the battery died with about 15 minutes left. During that time I had two guys coming to me to tell me how well I'm playing, that not only am I stopping everything but my rebound control has been much better. He actually asked if I had just got back from a goalie camp because I had been away so many weeks. That was really encouraging :)

Here's the video:

Edited by OptimusReim