Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

The worst/best part is that I was skating with a bunch of EMTs/Paramedics last night, people you'd think would know better than to drink from random containers of liquid.

Playing hockey this morning was an excessively poor choice that I am currently paying dearly for (still sick), but my teammates took some more photos of me.

348592_900.jpg

347320_900.jpg

344348_900.jpg

349004_900.jpg

• Like 2

I used to write Herpes on mine, then one team mate actually got it from his sex partner and that resulted in hilarity and I threw that waterbottle away

I write "WARNING: The user of this bottle has Hepatitis C. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK". Sure, it made people scoot down from me on the bench, but NOBODY uses my bottle.

Seriously, though- my wife has a condition where she has a limited immune system (not AIDS), so me bringing someone's lurgee home could be very, very bad.

Edited by bunnyman666
  • Like 1

nice pix man!

btw, i recorded my first shutout on sunday night, we won 9-0! (this came in the 2nd game of my 2nd season of playing goalie)

• Like 2

Thanks! My Saturday teammates are the bee's knees. They tolerate my slow, uneven development as a goalie, they play defence, they don't steal my water... they take pretty decent photos for using a 15 year old low-end digital camera...

Good deal, beedee! I've never played a game with a score attached, but I know I have never had a shutout. Congrats!

• Like 1

Not a bad night last night, minus some pretty awful blunders. I'm still quite a bit jet lagged from my trip to Sweden, too. It really shows in the second half where I'm a lot less quick to my feet. In some cases I stay down FAR longer than I should have and it almost cost me.

There was another goal against that I'm missing (too much work to dig back through the source footage to find it). Tried to glove a puck along the ice going 5-hole, like a catcher would do. Wrong decision.

I'm fairly happy with this, at least compared to the last couple of videos where I was just awful.

I really enjoy these videos Optimus. Like you, I take every goal personally too :)

Mostly just the ones I know I should have had. You beat me with a good shot, well done. You beat me by making me scramble, well done. But you shoot it and I miss it badly, that bothers me. Just have to forget and stop the next one.

So I can't play goal anymore due to hip issues, so I have all my stuff listed in the sale thread :angry:

That sucks dude, but I totally understand. I figured it would be my knees that would be in pain all the time. I was wrong, it's definitely the hips.

That sucks dude, but I totally understand. I figured it would be my knees that would be in pain all the time. I was wrong, it's definitely the hips.

It's not due to flexibility issues or soreness, it's because I am have degeneration in the hip joints, and the doc said not to push the issue. Luckily I don't have to give up skating out or refereeing, but the motions and flexibility needed to play goal would just accelerate the degeneration too much to make it worth it to keep playing. I enjoyed it while it lasted.

If anyone needs anything, let me know. I'd like to be able to recoup SOME of my money.

Edited by BenderHockey

we lost 7-4 last night. i gave up two crappy 5-hole goals and then a really bad one that deflected off a chics skate about 10 feet in front of me, redirected my way, off my skate and in. it was one of those blooper type of goals you would see on a Top 10 Crappy Goals compilation. everything else was either a good shot, or i made an initial save and our defense couldn't clear the puck.

Our defense sucks, I have given up on trying to help them after doing so all last season. Im convinced they just dont get it. One out of the 5 we have is what I would consider strong.

Edited by beedee

We lost 5-2 last night. THREE short side (blocker side) goals. One went off my D-mans stick and went top corner so... Whatever. But the other two was just me thinking I had the angle and letting it sneak in. Both were from the bottom of the circle, and one was a backhand, even.

My angles are usually pretty good so I don't know what to do about this besides just be more conscious on my blocker side.

We lost in a shootout 4-3 last night. Came into the third period 3-0 up, my team started playing stupid and drew penalty after penalty. One squeaked through my five hole, second was hit from a face off, deflected off my centre, off my D man and in, third was a two on none breakaway with 40 seconds left on the clock.

Second shot on the shootout hit top corner blocker side, and we couldn't score.

tonight i subbed again in bronze east at lakewood for the same team that i subbed for a month back. it is 2.5 levels higher than my current league and is so much fun! we were up 3-0 after the first, then i gave one up in the second on a partial breakaway, the guy had dirty dangles! third period our team got sloppy and i gave up two goals, yikes. one was a total fluke from almost along the boards that looked like it was going wide glove side but i swear it bent and squeezed in about 6" of gap between my left pad and the post!

this led to a shootout. our first guy shot it wide. their first guy muffed the puck and didnt get a shot off. our second guy scored, their next guy was dr. dangles (same guy that beat me in the 2nd) and can-openered me, beat me 5 hole. our next guy scored and then i stuffed their 3rd guy for the win!

• Like 2

Played two games last night. First one lost 2-1 in a 7 round shootout- the one that got me in game hit the top corner stick side and went in.

Game two, shutout, but only 6 shots on net, so that's not really on me.

For some reason I seem to play really well when I'm not feeling well. Yesterday the asthma was giving me such trouble that I considered leaving the game early, and in general I have to be pried off the ice with a crowbar. I haven't gone to any of the goalie clinics that are held after my Saturday pickup, because I haven't been well enough to manage both game and clinic. It's getting me down. But I played pretty tenaciously, bouncing from post to post, scrambling for the puck, stopping breakaways. Good times. Maybe after I see my doctor and update my medication, I'll be even better... (ha, ha).

On the other hand, my teammate's son thought it was hilarious that I was "stopping everything and saying absolutely nothing" while the other goalie was "not making saves and shouting at everybody".

I'm talking constantly, even more so in our own end. The D needs to know how much time they have with the puck and if anyone is closing in on them, etc. Being vocal is crucial. I expect the same of my teammates, so I know if I need to "squeeze" (if I have it but not sure) or "loose" so I know I'm in trouble, as well as what to do with it when I stop it behind the net. Communication is so incredibly important!