Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

No one had the ice after us this morning, so we ended up playing for somewhere around two and a half hours. Lots of guys commenting on how much better I've gotten since starting. I felt like I was on a roll today (up until the last 15 minutes or so, at which point I would've preferred to tend goal by lying there like a slug and tripping anyone who came near me), felt extra-aggressive covering the puck. I was still pretty nervous when people came speeding by my crease, once burned twice shy and all that, but after a couple of good saves I felt much better.

The new pads feel great. I decided I hate toe-ties/laces. These pads actual stay in place on the skate much better than the old ones did (less thumping the pads back into alignment), but at the same time rotate better. They're stiffer and a little heavier (by virtue of being senior vs. junior) and felt awkward for about 10 or 15 minutes but that cleared up. Also, they slide a lot better, which took some getting used to (flexibility to the rescue). It is very pleasant to have pads that fit, and I was a lot less worried about pucks hitting the inside or the top of my knee. My knee is definitely squarely on the landing gear. The very top strap may be extraneous for me, but I'll consider it. I didn't use it this time, but I might try next time just to see how it feels. I had to finagle the leather straps a bit to get the excess to stay out of the way, which I think is because they're new and still stiff.

About a half-hour into the skate, one of the players fired a shot that hit my skate and ended up breaking the holder. I didn't actually realize it was broken until I was getting undressed two hours later. I had had the vague impression that the skate felt funny, like maybe my laces had come undone or something, but I was busy not getting completely shellacked and the skate was still functional. Fortunately, they were under warranty and when I took them to the shop, they outright replaced the whole pair. Fine with me, and certainly took less time than a repair might've.

342081_900.jpg

In case you are wondering yes that shot was a goal, it ended up ricocheting into the net.

• Like 1

2.5 hours has me pretty well sold on the pads. I was thinking of trying the Brian's straps, actually. I saw them on the actual Brian's pads, but I haven't seen them for sale separately in brick & mortar stores (actually, I didn't check The Simian Sports Outlet because it was right about closing time for them and I was exhausted). I'm pretty happy not using anything, but as noted I'm Hasek on a drunken bender and like to sprawl and stretch and bend. If they can keep things in place without being too tight, or coming loose and getting under my skates, I'm interested. How have you found the attachment to the pad, and the velcro on the ends?

Beedee - the cowling mishap was funny because I just didn't think it would be broken and continued playing for two hours on the assumption that I needed a sharpening or my skate laces had come undone. Or that I was just terrible. Also, getting video or photos would involve having a camera and a friend to operate it who is not also playing hockey. My dad has a dash cam that I might be able to duct-tape to one of the stanchions.

2.5 hours has me pretty well sold on the pads. I was thinking of trying the Brian's straps, actually. I saw them on the actual Brian's pads, but I haven't seen them for sale separately in brick & mortar stores (actually, I didn't check The Simian Sports Outlet because it was right about closing time for them and I was exhausted). I'm pretty happy not using anything, but as noted I'm Hasek on a drunken bender and like to sprawl and stretch and bend. If they can keep things in place without being too tight, or coming loose and getting under my skates, I'm interested. How have you found the attachment to the pad, and the velcro on the ends?

Beedee - the cowling mishap was funny because I just didn't think it would be broken and continued playing for two hours on the assumption that I needed a sharpening or my skate laces had come undone. Or that I was just terrible. Also, getting video or photos would involve having a camera and a friend to operate it who is not also playing hockey. My dad has a dash cam that I might be able to duct-tape to one of the stanchions.

You can buy them online from almost anywhere that sells Brians (Total Hockey or GoalieMonkey both have them). They're fantastic. Being elastic they just stretch as much as they need to. Some have had issues with the velcro coming undone, but I have not. Attachment to the pad is cake, just uses the same cord that gets used in most of the rest of the pad. I'm sure you could use skate lace too if you wanted.

The Brian's Smart Toe Straps are AWESOME. Yes, I have had issues with mine coming loose, but it's nothing that can't be fixed with tape. I can't recommend them enough.

The newer cowlings are thinner, but more optimised for butterfly. It's brilliant that the entire skate is being replaced. Nothing is like the older ICM cowlings, but those were from when goalies got the cross-cut and didn't need sharpenings as often. and butterfly wasn't half the game (or more). Moulding some fibreglass around your cowlings wouldn't be a terrible idea if you play stand up (one must allow for the boot strap and toe straps through, making holes for each), but you probably had a freak accident with yours. I have built a LOT of fibreglass onto my skates as a defenceman.

I am playing my last time before surgery next wednesday on my heels. I was starting to get a teeny bit better, only having an 8.5 GAA LOL!!!!

Edited by bunnyman666

The shot cracked more the holder than the cowling part, something I think could've happened to anyone's skate if they got in the way. I've certainly seen holders get cracked, break mid-stride, even seen blades break. Weird things happen.

Cracked is a bit of a misnomer - the piece in the photo was actually coming off, and only held on at the point of the triangle.

I didn't get in position quickly enough and the guy in question has a hell of a shot - he's very, very good, and actually almost never shoots on me or the other goalie, he usually passes to someone else. I imagine there was some defect in the plastic, but thankfully under warranty. If it's covered, after all, why not?

Back in the old days of the clear Tuuks, a LOT of holders would be broken. I actually am in the habit of purchasing extra holders for player skates because of that. Also, it seems that when you like a particular holder, it becomes discontinued. In the case of replaceable runners, I never have fewer than three pair. I am doing that with my goal skates, as well.

I call the holder and the cowling a cowling interchangeably as these days, the cowling and holder are one. I am actually old enough to remember when the cowling was riveted onto the boot underneath the blade.

Just hope your broken holder is just a one-time phenomenon.

I meant that it didn't hit the protective part of the cowling - which is handily covered by my pads.

The trick is to avoid getting hit in the skates by that particular player's shots, is all. :ph34r:

Made a snappy glove save today. The puck made an exceptionally satisfying sound as it thumped into the pocket.

I felt like I played well - and pretty much everyone came up to me and noted that I was suddenly playing a lot better, in particular the last two weeks. Maybe the new gear helps?

Funny thing is, last week I was very nervous about anyone getting near me in the crease, because of being smashed into last month - but at the same time I've become a lot more aggressive with shooters and other trespassers. Coming out to challenge, poke-checking, prodding people's skates if they come too close for comfort.

Butterfly slides are an elusive skill. I do kind of a sideways knee-shuffle although most of the propulsion is coming from shifting my hips. The new skates were, of course, freshly sharpened, but it was less irritating this time around than it was when I had the previous new skates. I think I should probably just tell the sharpener next time not to put so much bite into them. I've never asked for anything on my skates (player or goalie) that wasn't a standard hollow, so I'm not sure what to ask for. I probably won't need to ask for at least another couple of months, at least.

Also this week I took my old pads and played goalie for some local roller hockey guys. Interesting contrast as always. Some of the roller hockey players gloat over their goals like they're in the Cup finals. Gets a bit tiresome, but you can't really be like hey, knock it off, scoring on me of all people is not an accomplishment, you know? Do other guys get irked when players do that? (I don't care if people are happy they scored, scoring is fun).

If I remember, and can find a camera to do the job, I'll try and get some video next week.

• Like 2

We lost 3-2 last night in a shootout. First goal I gave up was a result of a bad line change and then the puck was on its own between the blue line and myself, an opponent was rushing in, i did the "should i go, should i not go" for about 2 seconds, i decided to go and try to poke check it and the guy barely beat me to it and shot it in. :( The next goal was again a bad line change, led to a 2 on 0, guy beat me glove side, I did get a piece of it though. The same guy that scored on me was the first shooter in the SO, I tracked the puck well as he tried to dangle me to my right, got my right pad down and pushed with my left foot, blocker was down too, somehow the puck rolled on its side around my toe and in. :( I stuffed their next shooter and none of our players managed to get one in, all 3 shot it right at their goalie.

Our team did much better this time around, last time we lost 8-1 to them, but we only had 7 skaters. Playing goalie has been eye opening and has brought the frustration level to a new high. If you play beer league, please thank your goalie many times throughout the game, I'm finding it to be a thankless position. Unless you have played it, you have no idea how hard they bust their asses to keep the team in the game.

• Like 3

If you play beer league, please thank your goalie many times throughout the game, I'm finding it to be a thankless position. Unless you have played it, you have no idea how hard they bust their asses to keep the team in the game.

It's funny, I'm at a point now where I'm telling the OTHER goalie "great save!" or "man, nice glove..." when he comes up with a big stop. I also understand a bit better what its like for our goalie as well. I stopped a slapshot with my stick last night about 6' from the net, and I just hear from behind me "DAMN IT JONES!" and I'm like oh crap, sorry man... A few years ago I would have been oblivious to why he'd be upset about me sticking my stick out to stop a shot...

Not only is goalie a thankless position, but I feel like we are the Rodney Dangerfields on the ice, especially when we become a shooting gallery. Warming a goalie up? What's that? Two guys shooting at the same time? Clappers from the hashmarks? Argh.

But I'm thoroughly addicted to the position, none the less.

At some pickups I've gone to, warm-ups entail firing slapshots at me from the blueline and - no, actually, that's about it. Slapshots from the blueline. Also attempts to deke me out. Once, it involved a guy firing a shot at my head and when I was annoyed, telling me that my mask would protect me. My Saturday pick-up spoils me outrageously with a proper warm-up, actual defence, and genuine concern for my safety. (and an apparently infinite reservoir of patience for my slow and uneven growth as a goalie.)

It's hard not to cheer on even an opposing goalie. Heck, I cheer on other goalies at practice. I think it's the coach mode. Not that I don't want to win, but a nice pass or a great save or a well-timed shot is what it is, and being sort of mercenary about pick-ups I might be playing with or against almost anyone in the area. Same as when I was a skater.

Watching actual hockey games, though? Oh, so much worse now. I was watching even some vintage games the other day and wincing for both goalies. "Ouch. That was an awful goal. I'm so sorry. You deserve a beer." But also a little inspired, on the lines of, "I hate you and your athleticism, how did you even do that? brb, going to the gym."

At some pickups I've gone to, warm-ups entail firing slapshots at me from the blueline and - no, actually, that's about it. Slapshots from the blueline. Also attempts to deke me out. Once, it involved a guy firing a shot at my head and when I was annoyed, telling me that my mask would protect me. My Saturday pick-up spoils me outrageously with a proper warm-up, actual defence, and genuine concern for my safety.

What do you call a proper warm up? Firing slapshots from the blueline is all I really want TBH for most of warmup.

I'm mostly concerned with feeling the puck on my pads, and getting a read on the pucks in the air. In fact for our pickups I often grab my water and kneel and stretch a bit on the goal line about 10' from the net and just watch guys shoot into it, tracking the puck from their stick into the net. Getting my head around the timing is the most important part for me, besides the stretch of course. No interest in having guys deke me in warmup.

YMMV, of course. I like to feel the puck, but I also like to see shots I'm more likely to see in a game - and a slapshot from the blueline is nearly never one of those. I also like to move around, so getting shots from other distances. I usually stretch before I get on the ice.

Unless there is a coach, warm up will just be blokes winding up at the blue line or penalty shot dekes. I have had the pleasure of playing stick and puck with a coach who would shoot blocker side, then glove, then five hole and down low either side. 9/10 times, everybody loves to hear how hard their shot hits the plexiglass.

If two wind up at the same time, I leave the net. If the same bloke keeps trying to deke in warm ups, I ignore him/her. They need us more than we need them.Until a veteran told me to not do the whole deke thing, I thought that was what is expected of me. It also drives me nuts that people start shooting the second I get to the crease, in which I need a second to rough my crease, do my shuffle warm ups, and then my slides. I take off my masque so I can do those things.

man i'm lucky if i get 5 shots (out of 12 players or so) that actually get put on net during my warms ups.(rookie league) maaaaybe, just maybe one will hit be in the pads. otherwise it is worse than a driving range full of rookie golfers shanking shots left and right.

• Like 2

man i'm lucky if i get 5 shots (out of 12 players or so) that actually get put on net during my warms ups.(rookie league) maaaaybe, just maybe one will hit be in the pads. otherwise it is worse than a driving range full of rookie golfers shanking shots left and right.

umm hmmm

I don't think you look all that bad. You're pretty much square to the shooter at all times, it looks like. That goal at around 1:15 had to suck - the guy rolls over your head, and then thinks he can just jam the puck in?

You weren't nearly as bad as you say you were. Your D-men need to wear orange- there was a fair bit of standing around and allowing breakaways. Sure their first names weren't "Traffic" and last names "Pylon"? You weren't napping, you looked square to the puck at all times. You had so crazy and weird bounces, none were helped by nobody taking the guy or guys in front of the net. That game could have been a lot uglier. You kept it from being a lot higher scoring, and the weird bounces should have been negated by your pylons, er, um D men.

Don't be so hard on yourself, that's how it goes from being fun to being torture.

Edited by bunnyman666
  • Like 2

Yea, that's really what I was getting upset about. How many stops do I have to make with my D-men standing there watching? The other goalie barely moves during these sessions.