Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

Great video! Thank you for having the foresight to do this. Such a great idea! It was a ton of fun and I totally had you with that upper corner and deke! Lol great job tending net! See you at the next one.

Well here it is, my performance at Winterfest. Thankfully it wasn't quite the slaughter I was expecting, but that's primarily because the D was so solid. I wasn't THAT busy, as you can tell by the fact that the video is only 6 minutes long. Most of the goals I let in were actually mistakes that I would count as "bad" goals if it were a normal pickup session.The slapper from the point actually curved towards me. Seriously. It must have been spinning pretty fast for it to hook the way it did!Also, sorry about the camera angle. Had it pointed too far down. At the same time though, it's almost better since you can't see the far end of the rink in these videos anyway, it's good to see some of the action behind the net.Hope you guys like the intermission section I made for fun :)Enjoy!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnYj7ecGCNE

• Like 1

Neither good nor awful today. Only six skaters (small ice) which skews things a bit. Plus there was the big Russian who always (often) scores on me. (he is versatile in his shots and difficult to read, because he can pretty much do as he likes with the puck.)

Should have asked Santa for knee pads. Ouch.

• Like 1

Cliff notes version of this weekends games.

Lost both games over the weekend, 5-3 in Copper and 4-0 in Rookie.
I quit my rookie team after the game, I couldn't handle it anymore.
Pic from last night:
1477386_10153947285814258_69361853344908

Our league finally got the stats updated for the season so far... We had a good site, but the national association changed over to a new one that isn't ready yet, so we had to put something together in the meantime.

Division 2 (my normal division), I've played for 6 of the 9 teams, with 20 games, 15 wins, 5 losses, 42 GA from 365 shots, 0.885 SV%, 2.10GAA
Division 1 (one level higher), I've played for 4 of the 5 teams, with 11 games, Only 3 wins, 3 shootout losses, 33 GA from 198 shots, 0.833 SV%, 3.00 GAA

Bit of a step back from last season, but I think the standard of play has jumped a bit.

Edited by magnets

I quit my rookie team after the game, I couldn't handle it anymore.

I don't blame you. I got asked to sub in rookie league and I just won't do it. Ice time is great and all but it's more frustrating than its worth.

Nice pic. I wish I could do that.

My game on Sunday was okay, but I'm not happy with it. We won 8-4 which is great, but 4GA still bothers me.

First one was a short side shot that squeaked in.

Second goal was from the blue line. Guy who can really shoot takes a huge windup and I'm expecting a hard, high shot. It went through some legs, and ended up bouncing 3-4 inches off the ice in the opposite direction of the way I was moving. I'm not sure WHY I was moving to my left, since it was a shot from a significant distance and I was square to it. At the time I was 100% sure it had deflected but my teammates say it wasn't. All I could do was watch it go in just inside the far post to my right. I felt like Bernier on that one. Luckily we were already up by like 3-4 goals by that point.

Third goal was a crease scramble. Saved the initial shot, made a reactionary leg save on the rebound, and it ended up right on a guy's stick who dumped it into the net. Crap.

Fourth goal was when we were up 7-3 and their superstar D-man (who plays D because he has no business playing in this division) decided to deke around everyone on the ice, including me. He got me so good I was basically standing up, turned around towards the net, watching him tap it in like it was a 6 inch putt. Whatever.

Goals 1 and 2 I should have 100% had. Three I did everything I could, it just wasn't enough. Fourth goal... a write off. I'm not at all happy at giving up 4 goals, though.

Like you, magnets, I have a much higher GAA this season than ever before, but I'm also playing a division higher than I ever have before. I was leading the league in SV%, GAA, and wins until that 14-3 blowout. Still leading in wins, though!

Currently 5.08 GAA, 0.829 SV%

I don't blame you. I got asked to sub in rookie league and I just won't do it. Ice time is great and all but it's more frustrating than its worth.Nice pic. I wish I could do that.

Thanks Opti!

And yeah man, you nailed it. It straight up is more frustrating than fun. I have tried and tried again to not stress out during games but it's next to impossible.

Now Incan just focus on my Copper team. They actually appreciate what a goalie does for them, lol.

• Like 1

Thanks Opti!

And yeah man, you nailed it. It straight up is more frustrating than fun. I have tried and tried again to not stress out during games but it's next to impossible.

Now Incan just focus on my Copper team. They actually appreciate what a goalie does for them, lol.

Our Division two C Grade is the lowest level of senior hockey in my state, so we do have some big blowouts. The bottom team in the league is mostly new players this season, and shots against are at 411 compared to 301 from second last and 178 from the top team.

I have had a great time filling in for this team while their (also rookie) goalie has been injured. Even though they've been hammered in most games, they come off the ice smiling and supporting each other. I was there for their first win, and their 10th loss of the season, and the changeroom was just as positive for both. Everyone on the team is there because they love playing hockey, and the egos haven't taken over yet.

Tomorrow is the first game with my new Factory Mad glove. I can close it pretty well and I have only been messing with it on my couch whilst tele. MUCH better than the Warrior that never could close or open until I spent nearly two C notes to get it reworked. I wouldn't play a championship game with this glove until it has seen some ice time, but it closes good enough for shinny :)

Hoping that the twerps are sleeping in tomorrow morning. It ain't fun getting lit up by college players :(

However- the skate is at 9:30 a.m. and I think we will be in a twerp-free zone. No offense to any of you under 25, please note.

Report tomorrow.

• Like 1

Our Division two C Grade is the lowest level of senior hockey in my state, so we do have some big blowouts. The bottom team in the league is mostly new players this season, and shots against are at 411 compared to 301 from second last and 178 from the top team.

I have had a great time filling in for this team while their (also rookie) goalie has been injured. Even though they've been hammered in most games, they come off the ice smiling and supporting each other. I was there for their first win, and their 10th loss of the season, and the changeroom was just as positive for both. Everyone on the team is there because they love playing hockey, and the egos haven't taken over yet.

What we're talking about actually has nothing to do with blowout games, really.

What we're talking about actually has nothing to do with blowout games, really.

My bad if I misunderstood...

Is it the constant blaming of the goalie for the loss despite it being 50 shots to 5 against?

My bad if I misunderstood...

Is it the constant blaming of the goalie for the loss despite it being 50 shots to 5 against?

No not at all. It's the complete lack of defense because nobody at that level knows how to play yet, it's the garbage shots that bounce off four skates before going in, it's the never ending turnovers resulting in breakaways. Its all the things that come with playing with people who aren't very good.

Don't take that as newb bashing either, it's just frustrating to play in those divisions. Facing better players is generally EASIER because when they wind up for a slap shot you actually get a hard shot coming towards you, etc.

No not at all. It's the complete lack of defense because nobody at that level knows how to play yet, it's the garbage shots that bounce off four skates before going in, it's the never ending turnovers resulting in breakaways. Its all the things that come with playing with people who aren't very good.

Don't take that as newb bashing either, it's just frustrating to play in those divisions. Facing better players is generally EASIER because when they wind up for a slap shot you actually get a hard shot coming towards you, etc.

Ah yeah, been there and understand. Nothing worse than letting an easy goal in, because in your brain you wouldn't believe that a player would actually attempt something like that... Or worse still when your D sees an open net and instinctively puts it in...

Anyhow, hope you all have a <<Insert happy adjective>> <<Insert late December event of choice>>, and a safe and happy new year. I leave you with a shot of me looking fabulous from a game a couple weeks ago.

fabulous.jpg

• Like 1

Drop in report:

Donny McDangles was back and dangling- I did stop him a couple of times, but he lit me up pretty well.

Had some weird stops and found one more place on the CA that needs bolstering.

Used the new glove today- it does close; however, it needs to break in a bit more. It was much better than the first game I used my Warrior for certain. No stingers, and would swallow pucks better than my Warrior.

Now if I could just upgrade me...

My teammate's older (teenage) son keeps trying to recruit new players to our skate by telling them that I once played for the Boston Bruins.

This is technically true, but he's definitely taking the adage "never ruin a good story by telling the truth" to heart. Nice kid.

• Like 1

I'm currently buying my first set of gear to start playing net and I've got a few questions I hope you guys can help me with. I was at lhs yesterday and bought my blocker, catcher, pants, and stick. I've also scored some really nice Koho skates online for cheap. Lhs didn't have a c/a to fit me at my price point in stock but I did try some of them on to get an idea for what brand I would prefer. I've got it down to either the Vaughn Ventus LT88 and the Warrior Ritual G2. Has anyone used either or both of these? I wear some Warrior gear when I skate out so I'm kind of leaning towards getting the G2 right now. I also still need to get a helmet. Are there any out there that would be about the same price point as the nme3? I know that Bauer's going through some trouble with their masks right now but I didn't see the nme3 on that list. I'd like to try and stay new for the helmet just because of safety and precautionary reasons. Thanks for the help!

NME3 is not really a good helmet for ice, as it is made of polycarbonate. A good fibreglass shell would be much better. fyi- it is the titanium cages that are the problem on the higher-end Bauer helmet. Look to spend a few clams on the lid. With Christmas clearance and new models coming, you can get a better lid than the NME3; it will just be a bit spendier.

As far as the Vaughn Ventus LT88 CA goes, I have the LT80 (which was in the LT88's spot in the Vaughn line-up). I went with Vaughn because it fit better; but with the way I have reinforced my LT80, mine does NOT resemble the stock unit. The belly is lacking, and the arms are kinda thin as a stock unit (thin arms and belly are what some complain about as far as all Vaughn units go). I have done a fair bit of reinforcement to my unit (extra shoulder caps, added foam in the belly, supplemented biceps protection, and augmented wrist protection on the catcher side). Modding is not a big deal, you just need donor pieces (I use cheap shoulder pads and the like), a Speedy Stitcher, and some E6000 glue. Do some research, follow directions and you will be fine. If the Warrior fits better, it is the preferred unit for many I have spoken with. Also, you should decide whether or not you will tuck the CA into your breezers (pants); some breezers allow for tucking, others don't. There is no right or wrong way. I recommend that you take your breezers with you when trying on CA units.

As always: YMMV.

Whatever you do, just have fun and be safe.

• Like 1

Avoid plastic masks. They're questionable to play ball hockey in ;)

NME8 is a good starting point. Beedee and I both wear that one. Good sweet spot for money/protection.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep looking at helmets for the moment then. Once they get the CA in stock I'll make sure to try them both on but the warrior seems the likelier of the two. Thanks!

If you had 16 weeks to wait, the Protechsport is an EXCELLENT value at $300 CAD for an all-fibreglass unit. If I were to suddenly find that I can't get a fibreglass SK2000 clone, that is the direction I would go.

Opti is right about the NME8- fine masque for the money.

Tonight should be fun. We have 3 confirmed skaters for the game. One is 50/50 on whether he's able to make it. So at most well have four.

I don't understand why they'd book league games for the weekend after Christmas. Almost our entire team is visiting family or on vacation.

Edited by OptimusReim

Where I live, there is a skate every day next week and TWICE on New Year's Eve. Unfortunately, I have to work every day this coming week EXCEPT New Year's Eve. No, I am too old and out of shape to do the double. NYE is ALWAYS full, even OVER-FULL.

I imagine I am going to split ice time between three goalies on Thursday.

• Like 1

I know what you're saying, Opti.

I don't get cancelling games for the Super Bowl, myself; but I don't get American football, either. No offense to American football fans is intended. Winter holiday cancellations make WAAAAAAAAY more sense, IMO.

• Like 1