Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

Friday night our Copper game was at 10:40pm, ugh. To make things worse, we were playing on Rink B but had to suit up in locker room 1, which is on the other side of Rink A. So we had a nice lengthy walk to Rink B....which sucks in goalie gear.

On to the game. We were playing the first place team (whom only had 1 loss, we had two). Our team pretty much dominated the play all game long. I swear there was one shift where we were in their zone for over 2 minutes straight!

I felt great all game and made some big saves. I was practicing my back and forth butterfly pushes a lot when play was at the other end. They are coming along nicely, it feels really good to finally be able to do them quickly in precession. It was a goal of mine when I started, so I'm stoked!

Ok back to the game, I lost my shut out on a breakaway with 3:25 left in the game!!! Ugh! I stopped 22 of 23 and we won 4-1. I believe we are tied for first place now. I am 3-1 with this team. I joined them the second game of the season.

Edited by beedee
  • Like 3

Had a write-off game last night. Lost 14-3. We had 7 guys (and not our best 7 by any means). I had also played a game skating out right before so I was exhausted. I've skated out after playing goal before and it wasn't so bad. But the other way around is brutal. I'll never do that again, that's for sure.

First period was actually pretty good considering the circumstances (3-1 for them). Made some pretty good saves. Then it fell apart. A night of 3-on-0 tic-tac-toe passing plays in front of the net. There was probably 4 or 5 goals that I could do nothing but watch the guy gently pot it into a wide open net. Add to that the 3 or 4 that were deflected or tipped right in front of the net by the D-men. More than one would have been an amazing tip if it was intentional... Seriously, right in front of the crease and it went top shelf. It was amazing, really.

By the end I was so tired I had a hard time just getting back up. Nearly 50 shots against in total.

Anyway, now to forget it and move on.

ugh. My glorious return between the pipes has not been very glorious.

After the 4-3 loss to my best friend's team in my first game, we lost 7-1 last night.

The first game was my first in a few years, so I was understandably very rusty. Nothing felt right, and I can describe my movements as "statue-like". Just bad. I was expecting some improvement for my second game, but not as much as I got. From the start of warm-ups, I felt great. All of my movements were good, I could slide well, my angles were better. I stopped all of the shots in warm-up cleanly and confidently. I know it's not a big achievement, but I thought it was significant given how off I was the game before. And then the game started. My team dominated play early, so I didn't see my first shot until halfway through the period. And from then on it was an onslaught. I made some great saves to keep us in, saves I wouldn't have made the game before. Backdoor pad saves (and a sweet blocker one on a puck that got passed out front from behind the net), no rebounds into the kill zone, saves through screens and on deflections. But through all of it, my puck tracking was a little off. So with about 2 minutes left in the period, I let a knuckleball get through me. I thought I was squeezing it between my elbow and body, but it slipped down, hit my leg, and went in. I guess I didn't track it all the way in.

The second period was a nightmare. I got not much defense and let some bad ones in at the same time. Second goal was on a PP. After a flurry of saves, a puck got back to the point and I never saw it until it was going through my 5 hole. It went through 3 guys before it got to me. third goal was a guy coming at an angle from the circle after beating my dman wide (we play on Olympic ice). I may have been off my angle a little and the guy put it far side under the bar. I got a piece of it with my glove, so I'm upset I didn't get more as i was a little deep in my crease. But it was a pretty nice shot. 4th was a 2-1 that my defender didn't play either guy. The puck carrier came all the way in with a good shooting angle, so I had to stay square with him. He passed the puck before killing his shooting angle back up higher out. It was a soft pass out of my reach, so I couldn't drive hard to the far post because the guy would have had a chance to settle the puck and cut back. 5th goal was a pass from behind the net into the crease that got tucked 5 hole. I played it poorly and was still standing instead of going to RVH. I tried to get a stick on the pass, but once it got through me, I had no chance. If I were down in the RVh, I may have had more coverage against the pass and would have been down to make a blocking save on the shot. Too easy for them. 6th my defenseman kept backing in and just let the guy walk into the slot, cut across, and shoot. He put it against the grain as I moved across with him. I stil should have had it. That's how the second period ended, with us down 6-0. We scored on the PP to keep the clock from running. But then they scored with about 5 to go on another 2-1. This time I got across and made the save, but just like the first goal the puck trickled through me and the other guy put in the loose puck behind me.

Overall, I felt like I played better and actually looked like I had played goal before. But my puck tracking just isn't there. Other than the ones that went in, I had 3 or 4 more that squeezed through me and didn't. It's a frustrating start for sure. My team was upset with themselves for "leaving me out to dry". Even though there wasn't much that I could have done to make a difference in the outcome (we only scored 1 goal), I was still upset with myself for the goals and shots that got through me. The progress is encouraging and I know I can and will be better. I just have to remember to keep my eyes on the puck, which is the opposite of what I do as a defenseman. I'm still happy to be back in net.

• Like 2

Happy to finally get to play pickup again after being on the road for what seemed like forever. After the 14-3 drubbing on Sunday, I'm generally happy with how I played last night. Here's the video:

I'm happy with the exception of four plays:

0:48 and 2:43 - both shots that got between my arm and my body. This is becoming a habit for me, as I've let in a number of these goals lately. I'm not sure if I need to change my arm position in my stance or if I just need to work on squeezing my arm to my body a bit harder.

3:45 - Off my stick and in. I guess it was just a bit unlucky that it hit just below my blocker but I'm sure I could have been better positioned to not let this happen.

5:40 - Why the hell did I stay down for so long for no reason? I have no idea. Mental mistake that cost me.

The rest of it wasn't too bad. My butterfly still sucks but that's an ongoing challenge. If nothing else this was just a way for me to bounce back after that nightmare on Sunday and give me some confidence going into our game this weekend.

BTW - No idea what happened to my title slide. It was set... it just got cleared somehow. Not worth the time to re-export to fix it.

Did drop in yesterday. It ended up being 4-on-4, one goalie (me) and shooter tutor. Got scored on with my back turned (drinking water). Yeah- that took skill.

Dealt with Donnie McDangles. With the team I had playing against him (roller guys who played ice the first time and a couple were on rental skates), McDangles scored 8/10x against me. Oh, well.

When three guys left, it became 3-on-3 half ice. I didn't do too terribly, but nobody in the NHL has to worry about their jobs for certain. People who haven't seen my "Screw U" sweater (pic on Instagram @bunnydevildude #sillyhockeysweaters ) got a giggle.

I let in a couple of weird ones that I probably should have had. But I haven't started playing goal until this past year and have had zero coaching. I don't beat myself up as that is pointless.

• Like 3

I swear, I play my worst hockey with/against my ambulance company. Granted, two is not a fair sample, and both times I have either been getting sick or recovering from sick. Still, I feel disappointed that I am not giving a good showing, and nervous about players I don't know, and that leads to mini-feedback loops of despair where I decide that I don't deserve a drink of water because I made a poor play.

On the brighter side, I am not quite as traumatized by highway driving these days, after several back-and-forth trips to ambulance and hockey.

The nice B-level guys from a couple of weeks ago asked me to play this Saturday morning, but I had already committed to my usual Saturday guys. (my hockey is getting in the way of my hockey!) I feel flattered that I've been asked at all, considering they are very strong players who skate well together, and playing against them was a challenge.

• Like 3

Did not play well today. Also not feeling well, so I think I can chalk it up to trying to play too much before being fully recovered from illness. At any rate, my teammates are all very good about reassuring me that I am not an awful goalie. Not in a patronising way (as in, they don't tell me I made a good try for a goal when it was clearly one I should have had), but nicely. They are looking for a second regular goalie and teasing about how they'll have to find one that can compete with me, and that I have possibly "set a world record for fastest time between starting to play and being paid by the Bruins". (last spring, the B's alumni were missing a goalie, and wrangled me and another guy to split the game.) Makes me feel better about having an off day.

I am told that Screaming Goalie refuses to play unless a certain number of people sign up (at least 12 skaters, the max is 14 usually, since we play 4v4 on small ice), but also that my ride/teammate has deliberately not asked him to come back, even when it's just me signed up. (see? my teammates, they are nice.)

There is probably no Saturday pickup next week, something about some sort of important holiday that a lot of people in the US celebrate at the end of November. :dry: (no, in all seriousness, while I don't like Thanksgiving on several levels, I don't begrudge other people wanting to spend time with family and all that jazz.)

• Like 3

Did not play well today. Also not feeling well, so I think I can chalk it up to trying to play too much before being fully recovered from illness. At any rate, my teammates are all very good about reassuring me that I am not an awful goalie. Not in a patronising way (as in, they don't tell me I made a good try for a goal when it was clearly one I should have had), but nicely. They are looking for a second regular goalie and teasing about how they'll have to find one that can compete with me, and that I have possibly "set a world record for fastest time between starting to play and being paid by the Bruins". (last spring, the B's alumni were missing a goalie, and wrangled me and another guy to split the game.) Makes me feel better about having an off day.

I am told that Screaming Goalie refuses to play unless a certain number of people sign up (at least 12 skaters, the max is 14 usually, since we play 4v4 on small ice), but also that my ride/teammate has deliberately not asked him to come back, even when it's just me signed up. (see? my teammates, they are nice.)

There is probably no Saturday pickup next week, something about some sort of important holiday that a lot of people in the US celebrate at the end of November. :dry: (no, in all seriousness, while I don't like Thanksgiving on several levels, I don't begrudge other people wanting to spend time with family and all that jazz.)

Heh heh- being 50% English and 50% American, I see both sides of Thanksgiving. How can I be 100% behind a holiday thanking G'd that they got away from Ol' Blighty? But I loves me a good roast dinner. My mum embraced the whole Thanksgiving dinner thing okay. After all- I am a U.S. citizen.

Black Friday is the only adult drop in this next week. Bummer!!!!

• Like 2

What a big day of hockey!

Played three games back to back (just an ice surfacing between games). First one was my team, won 7-3, first goal against was a great top blocker corner snipe. Other two came from rebounds after two saves.

Second game was filling in for the bottom team in the league. Finished off 2-1, getting their first regulation win of the season. The only one getting in was a rebound that got through a gap with about half an inch to spare after my flailing kick.

Third game was tough. 7 total skaters on my team, the other team had 6 on the bench. My team were outskated, but they needed to be - they were playing incredibly intelligent hockey, but they only had so much energy to give. After 36 shots on me to 16 on them, lost 5-3 (including an empty netter in the last minute). Had a highlight reel to heartbreak moment in this game, with a shot from just left of the point, dropped down and saved, where it popped out to my right with a wide open net to the centre. They took the shot and I dived at it, pushing the stick as far forward as I could and saved it again, the puck dribbling behind the goal line to the right. As I landed, lost my grip on my stick, where they played the puck to push it back in front, it hit the blade of my stick on the ice, followed the stick around, and deflected into the goal. I just wasn't meant to get that one.

Felt great all the way through, but the moment I sat down after game three, my legs and feet decided they'd had enough. It's now Monday morning here, and I can barely move! Got until Thursday to recover for my next game.

• Like 4

Three games in a row! Bravo. Rest up, you earned it.

We have an issue - 9 teams in the league, 6 goalies. 1 was unavailable, another injured, and four games on. Doubling up on games is fairly regular, but not normally three.

• Like 3

Due to scheduling, my softball league is regularly double-headers with occasionally triple-headers and once a four-game day. As a catcher, this is ... less than desirable. I've played 3 hours of goal before, and I remember regretting it the next day, but I did have a break between the first two hours and the third.

Still, good job holding down the 4x6 metal fort. Hope your job is a sedentary one. :wink:

• Like 3

Pretty good game last night. I didn't feel super busy, though apparently I faced 32 shots against. Maybe just compared to how busy a pickup is, and last week's drubbing it didn't feel like much.

Here's the video. It's mounted on the outside of the glass because our refs won't allow it to be inside. Unfortunately that means I don't get anything from the second period, and there's a huge puck mark in the way because I mounted it just slightly too far to the right. Still, better than nothing.

Let in 4 goals:

First was a horribly soft play. Oh my god what was I thinking. Tried to just put it in the corner off a weak shot along the ice, and put it right onto the stick of their guy who just tapped it in.

Second goal was a breakaway that I just misread. He was right-handed and in this division 95% of the time they're going to go forehand. I somehow bit at the last second that he was going to go across the crease and just that little bit of movement opened me up.

Third goal, I actually don't remember. It was at the other end of the ice too, so the GoPro didn't pick it up. Oh well. I definitely remember that it wasn't a bad goal though (as in, one I screwed up on).

Fourth goal was a slapper from the point that I didn't see until it was way too late to have any chance on. Looking at the video I definitely fault myself for, I don't know how else to put this, "looking small". I was too deep in the net and didn't have my glove up. I was also too far to the right. I should have at least been a lot closer to stopping this one than I was.

In our league we have no OT and go straight to shoot-out. First shot I stopped with the blocker, second one I was able to get him to move enough that he missed the net. So even though the puck got by me I think I did enough to influence where the shot went that missing the net was all he had. That's what I like to believe, at least ;)

What a big day of hockey!

Played three games back to back (just an ice surfacing between games).

Wow! Huge credit to you for that. Two games is rough enough, but three? At least the one for your team was first so you were fresh for that one. After playing a couple back to backs this season (in different rinks, no less) the one thing I refuse to do is play as a sub as the first game. I'm not willing to let me not be 100% for my team. I'm sure the beer at the end of the third game was especially refreshing!

Due to scheduling, my softball league is regularly double-headers with occasionally triple-headers and once a four-game day. As a catcher, this is ... less than desirable.

Aw man, I miss playing catcher in softball leagues. I lost my catcher's mitt (rather, I let somebody borrow it who promptly lost it... WTF was I thinking) when I was 21 and never played baseball of any sort ever again. I'm also too fat to be able to play catcher now, though I did always love 3rd base as well. My throwing arm is shit now, too. I don't even know why. I used to have a cannon. Edited by OptimusReim

The night started well enough, but then my lower back started hurting. Eventually I could barely move, and by the end of the night it had just gotten ridiculous. Debated even bothering to edit but figured it can't hurt to take a look. Probably a night to mostly just ignore and move on. Hopefully my back is okay for my game Sunday.

Back pain is the worst. Stretch, apply heat/ice, whatever you gotta do, and if you're not up to Sunday, definitely take a break. Even if your teammates plead.

Had a very fun 2 hour skate yesterday morning with my old team that I used to play left wing on in Gold division at Lakewood. We had three goalies so we rotated every 10 minutes. This was cool because you were on for 20 and then off for 10. It was really cool to play against these guys as it was the fastest and highest level I have played against as a goalie. Some of the guys were really good and had very fast hands. I got beat on a couple breakaways...bad. I simply am not used to facing quality players that have good moves! Everything else was fine, gave up a couple backdoor goals on 2 on 0 attacks. Overall it was cool to play against these types of skaters and having a third goalie really helped from fatigue being able to set in.

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!

• Like 1

As BeeDee and Optimus become more experienced goalies, the chance increases that the two will wind up playing against each other at a pickup, and I eagerly await the resulting inevitable posts.

• Like 1

Played pickup versus college and ex-college players along with high level high schoolers. Got lit up like a Christmas tree with the first few plays. Donny McDangles, Wheely VonSniper and Celly O' Shooter all were there. Three goalies. We never figured out a system, but I let the better goalies stay on longer. Didn't have a good warm up, felt out of sorts until the third time I got out in the crease.

Not depressing, but there were a few I'd like to have back. I was firmly the third best goalie dressed out.

• Like 1

As BeeDee and Optimus become more experienced goalies, the chance increases that the two will wind up playing against each other at a pickup, and I eagerly await the resulting inevitable posts.

Haha he's way further ahead than I am. I need to get a couple lessons and a stable job where I'm actually at home to get more ice.

That would be really awesome though. Maybe he and I should organize one of those afternoon games at Staples Center for our two teams at some point!