Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

Yea. I mean I guess the general idea is to not schedule games when you know people aren't likely to show up.

Looks like we managed to get five skaters, so at least it won't be an automatic forfeit. And if it turns into a shit show we'll just send the refs home and play pickup.

I know what you're saying, Opti.

I don't get cancelling games for the Super Bowl, myself; but I don't get American football, either. No offense to American football fans is intended. Winter holiday cancellations make WAAAAAAAAY more sense, IMO.

Hah, I hear you. Patriots' games (even regular season) always siphon players off of pickup and league games here...

Here's the game footage from last night. I don't normally put in saves by the other goalie but he made a pretty damn good one that was worth leaving in. Also left in the goals we scored while I was at the other end of the ice.

Unfortunately for league games I'm not allowed to have the camera on the inside of the glass, so theres a bit of glare. This is my first game using my new GoPro Hero+ (1080p @ 60fps, as compared to the 720@60 my old GoPro used to be).

Like I mentioned, we had 5 skaters so they were all on the ice for most of the time. We'd have a guy take a knee in our zone on occasion and a couple times somebody would go sit on the bench for a minute or so. The fact that we were up 4-1 at one point is a testament to the scoring ability of our team. It also means my 5+ GAA doesn't hurt us too badly (though that number was heavily skewed by the 14-3 loss.. it should probably be between 3-4).

Anyway, they weren't too happy about it. They offered three times before the game to just play pickup and we said "nah, we'll see what happens." Very glad we played for keeps ;) You can see how upset their superstar was with the way he booked it to the dressing room after shaking hands (normally you also shake the refs hands). He's also the guy who tried the same toe drag move about 6 times. You can't miss him, he wears two different color socks because I guess that's how we know how awesome he is.

Enjoy :)

Little update: ended up getting a Bauer Profile 940 mask. I got a great deal on some used reebok pads so I was able to pay extra for a helmet. Can't wait to get out on the ice and try it all out!

• Like 4

Awesome to hear! Always worth the extra for a decent mask.

Okay, I bought like 3 different mount kits for my old GoPro. I'd LIKE to rig up something to put it on my chin as I think that'd be the best vantage point, but if not I'll just do the normal vented helmet mount on top.

made a sale, made a purchase, i love my Itech prodigy pro stock. however i need a backup for it and in a white base. Bought a pro stock sub zero 60 degree cut. Not sure if celcius or farenheit, we'll check the temp after a few windmills when it arrives

Little update: ended up getting a Bauer Profile 940 mask. I got a great deal on some used reebok pads so I was able to pay extra for a helmet. Can't wait to get out on the ice and try it all out!

Good purchase!!!!

Thanks! Hopefully we'll be getting some ice out on the ponds this next week to get some practice in. Starting out with a little more stress-free environment with friends seems like a better idea than drop-in with all the high schoolers still on break.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what I would do without it. I never played in a league until this last summer so pond hockey was one of my favorite times of the year. We normally have ice by now where I am but the mild winter is really messing it up.

Opti-

You are getting to be a bloody good goalie for having been at it in as little time as you have done this!!!! Good onya, matey!!!!!

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it :)

Thanks! Hopefully we'll be getting some ice out on the ponds this next week to get some practice in. Starting out with a little more stress-free environment with friends seems like a better idea than drop-in with all the high schoolers still on break.

When I was a lad, the fields would have just enough water to freeze, so we had the best of both worlds: ice to skate on; but if you fell through, you had a muddy skate rather than a rescue situation. Of course it has not been cold enough around where I live for the best part of twenty years.

I definitely recommend a low-key drop in for your first times. I felt like I had jumped into the high-energy drop ins too quickly, but it was going to be a minimum of a six month wait for a stick and puck with no games for me. Going to twerpfest can also be highly stressful as a neophyte goalie.

If you can take your friends to your first drop in, I would HIGHLY recommend it. It will be 1,000% less stressful.

• Like 1

My team was able to get some ice for practice in our last season for dirt cheap (I think about $10 a piece for an hour). I'll have to check into that again. I'm only the backup goalie for now until we move up a league next season so little bits of playing time shouldn't be too hard on me either. As long as that's what it is, LITTLE amounts. :laugh:

• Like 2

Drop in report:

Two NYE skates today. I elected to go to the afternoon skate.

Yes, it was twerpfest. But they were good players, but danglers fo sho!

Five goalies showed up (?!?).

My end, we did 15 on, 15 off. That was fine with me.

Got in touch with my inner Hasek, even executed (poorly) a Hasek roll that stopped the goal. Didn't quite have sight of the puck until I just saw it sitting in the crease! Covered it up and was called a genius.

But in all- I still SUCK at goal but am having enough fun to keep coming back for more. Am I a sucker for punishment? I think so...

• Like 1

I'm not sure what I would do without it. I never played in a league until this last summer so pond hockey was one of my favorite times of the year. We normally have ice by now where I am but the mild winter is really messing it up.

I hear ya, warm winter has been a bummer

Okay guys, after YouTube being a royal pain in the ass for some reason for the last few days, I FINALLY got my footage from Tuesday night pickup uploaded. I actually put my Hero+ (1080p @ 60fps) behind the net, which is the first time I got to use this camera inside the glass. It looks amazing!

However, I decided to also use my old Hero (720p) on my mask, just for fun. I like the footage from that for the most part, but editing took a lot longer because of it, and I'm also not sure it's worth the effort. Maybe I'll keep doing it and only include any REALLY cool footage I get with it, instead of every save or goal. Unfortunately combining both sets of footage into the same video made it export only as 720p, so that sucks. However I did also upload a video of JUST the usual behind the net footage in 1080p. This one is probably better for learning, which is really the goal of making these videos in the first place. It's meant to be for self-coaching, not just as a novelty.

I'll link to both videos here. I would think most of you would want to watch the dual camera video just because it's cooler, but if you want to skip the first person view just watch the 1080p video instead.

Highlights of today's pickup include an ex-college player (who ordinarily does not shoot on me at all - he passes instead) rifling every shot in his arsenal at me, ostensibly to impress his visiting friends. Pro tip: scoring on me is not impressive. However, he only got two by me over the course of an hour and a half in spite of leveling a blitzkrieg at me. (we were playing 3v3 with one sub a side, and defence does what defence can, but I face a LOT of shots.)

Also, in keeping with the running joke of "when I am sick, I play my best hockey" my teammate texted me this afternoon: "I hope you're not sick, since you played so well today."

Hey all, this is my first post on the forum.

Another new adult goalie here, in large part thanks to motivation after lurking this thread. I did formerly play goalie in roller (about 15 years ago) and lacrosse, so I've seen a few shots before but it's still a huge adjustment playing on ice. Played my second drop-in today and had an absolute blast despite facing 50+ shots from some very good players. Got several compliments from shooters and from another goalie who happened to be skating out. If it's cool with you guys I'd love to run my current equipment past you and see if you have any suggestions / keep you updated on my progress.

Edited by Flop_N_Pray
  • Like 3

Flop-

love your username! Getting shooters and goalies playing out to compliment you on your second time playing goal means that possibly you could teach a couple of us a thing or two!

Welcome!

Flop-

love your username! Getting shooters and goalies playing out to compliment you on your second time playing goal means that possibly you could teach a couple of us a thing or two!

Welcome!

Doubt it. The only thing that saves me is coming in with a good understanding of angles and staying square to the puck. I had a lot of shots where I didn't even see it and was thinking "well, there's another one" only to have somebody skate up and tell me it was stuck in my pads. I also had about 5 glove saves where I didn't even know I had the puck because my pocket is black so I was looking around frantically behind me for about 5 seconds. :laugh:

My first set of gear from the mask down: Vaughn 9500 straight bar w/ dangler (tied through ear holes and chin vents, if anyone is curious); Vaughn 3700 C/A (used); Simmons Matrix blocker / trapper (used) - they work fine but are a bit too big for my hands; Vaughn 7460 pants (new old stock) - C/A tucked into pants, tied in the front, and clipped with a small carabiner and skate lace to keep unit from sliding forward. Suspenders over the top. Bauer Reactor over my CCM players compression shorts. That's right ladies, 1 guy, 2 cups. Bauer Supreme knee pads (bought used about 2x - saved a ton of money and these are awesome)Simmons Air 991 (used in very good shape - I think they sat in someone's closet for 10 years). No thigh boards, thigh strap, or toe ties, and the knee strap is angled down and run behind the buckle on my calf for better rotation. Trying to teach an old pad new tricks. Graf 4500 skates with yellow Superfeet - currently a 5/8 grind thinking about switching to 1/2. Warrior Abyss

Considering for purchase: clavicle / neck protection - I know, I know - Maltese is the be all end all, but I can't shell out another $125 on equipment or the wife will kill me. Considering CCM or the Bauer Supreme in the $50 price range.

Actively looking for: SR size gloves with very small internals. I should probably go pro level protection because I am facing good enough shooters I've had a couple good stingers on inside of trapper wrist and on my blocker hand. Considering Simmons 586 but open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for all the help guys. I'm headed off to drop in and will probably report back.

Edited by Flop_N_Pray