Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

Went to my third drop in ever today. I was the only goalie playing 2v2 half ice against a couple of juniors players, a varsity women's player, and a guy about my age who isn't showy but definitely not his first time strapping on the skates. So basically, it was 2 on 1, 2 on 0, and breakaway practice all day aka normal drop in. I didn't see a shot further out than the hashes. Luckily, I'm very much an "it is what it is" kind of guy and still got a lot of good work in. My shuffles and t-pushes are getting crisper, and I can do the emergency b-fly slide going to my left. To my right, I am doing this very weird thing where I get a good t-push and then kind of drag my left leg (like I'm doing some weird Laura Stamm drill) with my body and right pad square to the puck. I think it's because I only like doing half b-fly with my left leg down.

I got a lot better at reading the overall play and coming back into my crease a bit when I saw the backside pass was open. I'm also finally learning to stay upright and keep good gap control on breakaways. The first 5-6 times, the best guy out there just got me to drop with really good shot fakes and then just brought it back around me for an easy goal. I was too far away from him, although still aggressively above the crease. Once I started standing my ground, I stuffed him several times.

I did get a bit frustrated at the end after I let in some relatively easy 5-hole goals due to exhaustion, but overall, it was still a positive experience. It was also rough knowing you're really cutting down the angle only to face shooters who can put it exactly where they want when not under pressure. I had several pucks put into tiny gaps (4 inches max between skate and post from bottom of circle, getting roofed from 2 feet away *while standing!* :blink: etc)

From looking around the forums, about 90% of goalies seem to hate drop in due to the lack of defense / wannabe superstars but luckily in my area even the really good guys are pretty chill. They certainly don't play down to my level put they don't take clappers at my head or start chirping after I let in 5 goals in as many minutes.

On a gear related note - those new yellow Superfeet are awesome. I got pretty bad arch pain the last few sessions just from standing upright so much but had zero today. I think I'm going to put them in my player's skates tonight.

Edited by Flop_N_Pray
  • Like 1

Pretty crap game last night. Not super busy (hence the video being so short). Also I ran out of space on my memory card so I lost the last 10 minutes of the 3rd period, where a bunch of goals were scored, I got run over, one of our guys got hit from behind starting a "scrum" behind my net (that I attempted to get involved in until the ref yelled at me to back off), them scoring an empty-net goal that resulted in the goal scorer getting tossed for his theatrics after the goal, and then us scoring with 19 seconds left, unfortunately making the empty net the winning goal. Ended up losing 5-4 I believe... the game sheet still says 4-3 for some reason.

Also, the camera angle sucks pretty bad in the first period, and REALLY bad in the second period. I could tell it was aimed too low, but I didn't want to fix it because I was trying to get away with having it without the refs telling me to take it down and didn't want to bring attention to it.

Anyway, here's the video.

Ice finally froze on my ODR today so I'm finally going to get out on the ice with my gear today. Temps are supposed to soar again tonight so I'll only have the ice for the day. This goofy el nino year is really messing up my extra ice time this year :unsure: Currently having my helmet painted and I should have it back by the end of the week. Can't wait to see the final product of that. I'm thinking of getting some knee guards pretty soon too and I'm really looking at the Warrior Ritual X. When I bought my leg pads they ended up being slightly small on me but the discount I got on them was so worth it that I was thinking of just modding the knee cradle a bit but the knee guards don't seem like a bad idea at this point (better to have too much protection instead of not enough). Would a senior knee guard fit into an intermediate leg pads cradle or would it be too tight of a fit?

• Like 1

Pretty crap game last night. Not super busy (hence the video being so short). Also I ran out of space on my memory card so I lost the last 10 minutes of the 3rd period, where a bunch of goals were scored, I got run over, one of our guys got hit from behind starting a "scrum" behind my net (that I attempted to get involved in until the ref yelled at me to back off), them scoring an empty-net goal that resulted in the goal scorer getting tossed for his theatrics after the goal, and then us scoring with 19 seconds left, unfortunately making the empty net the winning goal. Ended up losing 5-4 I believe... the game sheet still says 4-3 for some reason.

Also, the camera angle sucks pretty bad in the first period, and REALLY bad in the second period. I could tell it was aimed too low, but I didn't want to fix it because I was trying to get away with having it without the refs telling me to take it down and didn't want to bring attention to it.

Anyway, here's the video.

PFFT! 39 took a dive on that play at 0:29. did he get the call from the ref?

• Like 1

PFFT! 39 took a dive on that play at 0:29. did he get the call from the ref?

Haha nope, no call on the play. Notice how I basically just ignored it and got my drink? :)

Haha nope, no call on the play. Notice how I basically just ignored it and got my drink? :)

HA! thats great! i just re-watched it in slow-mo. he got a lot more then he bargained for with that dive, head first right into your pads. his chiropractor will not be happy to see him, but damn happy to cash the check.

HA! thats great! i just re-watched it in slow-mo. he got a lot more then he bargained for with that dive, head first right into your pads. his chiropractor will not be happy to see him, but damn happy to cash the check.

I think he actually got quite a bit of the post. It wasn't until later in the game that I had a guy actually plow me over.

Yea it was pretty ridiculous at times. They're such a chippy team. I was actually looking at the league standings the other day. We have less than half the overall penalty minutes of the next lowest team.

A local B-level group was in need of a goalie today, and I decided it was about time for an ass-kicking, so I signed on. I've skated with them before - they are loud and competitive, but no goonery. Most of them are ex-college or prep school players and big shots aside (plenty of people can have big shots) they play fast. I didn't do as well as I wanted, but I think I held my own considering their experience and skill levels versus my own. They play to five goals, then swap sides. I think the other goalie and I were even - two and two.

This week is a test of my goaltending endurance: I will play with my ambulance company tomorrow night, and then Saturday morning with the Russians.

• Like 1

New guy gear fitting question here. I've searched high and low for this across multiple forums, and can't find anybody with the same problem.

Leg pad sizing. It's been beat to death. But I can't find anyone else with my very strange t-rex proportions - big chest and thighs, normal torso length, short limbs, small ankles, wrists, hands, and feet. I have a 15.5" ATK with a 6.0 E skate at 5'9.5". I'm quite sure the measurement is correct, I have an 18.5" FTK and only wear 30" inseam jeans. I also work EMS like Badger and have a pretty good grasp on what "knee" and "ankle" mean. For almost all manufacturers, this puts me in a 30-32" (usually intermediate) pad.

I can make my current 34" Simmons hit me right in the knee cradle, but then my skate only comes about halfway to the toe. If I put them high on the skate (by tightening down the bottom ankle strap), my knee hits way low. I emailed them for a sizing recommendation for new pads, and they still said 34, which really doesn't seem right given my small feet. I also have fairly small calves and ankles, so I have tons of room in the leg channel. Most of my straps are nearly bottomed out to be snug.

I can find plenty of pad recommendations for 15.5" ATK guys, but they're usually 5'4". I can't see how I'm going to get enough thigh coverage in a pad that small. Anybody else have this problem? Do I size them to my overall height? Just go full custom?

I know that in-person fitting is the best option, but I don't have much selection around here.

Edited by Flop_N_Pray

Try and see if Simmons can make a smaller boot for you? If you are fitting a 34 with as loose bootstrap that is what you want.

Most of the time when ordering custom pads, you're asked for your skate size along with every other measurement. Some of us have weird proportions. I have short thighs and long shins, which not only screws up my thigh rise on leg pads, but also requires that unless I wear a size small breezers, I have to hike the inseam anywhere from 1-3". The only way I would fit in a small is to be as small as I was when I was much younger, like a teenager. I could stand to lose a stone or two, but that would still get me into breezers that would require an inseam hike, and I wouldn't have the blocking area of a large. +1" is the max for my thigh rise, and I would probably do better with a +0". I fit well into a 33"+1", but my boot size could probably shrink a bit, as I wear a 8 in a Graf or a 7.5 in everything else. The point of this rambling is that not all of us fit into the stock sizing, and we need a little customisation. Seeing that you're a 6 boot but are tall for that size, you could easily stand to lose an inch or more from the boot of the pad.

You could have the boot on your pads shortened- it is not a big deal repair. A LOT of pads have boots too big. This is not something to sell your pads over; depending on where you live, it might be something that could be done locally. If you're handy with a needle, thread, and scissors, you could do that repair. But if you buy a new set, go custom. You won't fit into stock sizes without modification.

When is college back in session?!?

Bloody fackin' hell- three fackin goalies at shinny?!?

McDangles was there- I stopped him three times. He scored on me more than that.

Let in a few really, really stupid shots. Made some weird, weird saves.

I still suck like a Dyson.

• Like 2

Well that was unpleasant. The [local ambulance company] skate is civil for about 5-10 minutes, then devolves into goonery. And also, lots of me getting screamed at for not being very good. Many of the individual players are quite good, but unlike the guys I skated with yesterday (B-level) and unlike the Russians (C-ish), they do not play well as a group. Also, neither the Scary B Level Guys nor the Russians scream at me. Which, just for the record, does not really help me improve. (actually, it makes me play worse in the moment.)

I mean not just the getting screamed at as goonery, but dingbats fighting with each other and knocking sticks out of players' hands and tripping and all kinds of dumb things in that vein.

• Like 1

Well that was unpleasant. The [local ambulance company] skate is civil for about 5-10 minutes, then devolves into goonery. And also, lots of me getting screamed at for not being very good. Many of the individual players are quite good, but unlike the guys I skated with yesterday (B-level) and unlike the Russians (C-ish), they do not play well as a group. Also, neither the Scary B Level Guys nor the Russians scream at me. Which, just for the record, does not really help me improve. (actually, it makes me play worse in the moment.)

I mean not just the getting screamed at as goonery, but dingbats fighting with each other and knocking sticks out of players' hands and tripping and all kinds of dumb things in that vein.

Ack. What is the point of screaming at the tendy? These games don't amount to sh** at the end of the day, after all.

I don't mind good, physical play; goonery has no place, especially when 99/100 of you have to work the next day.

• Like 1

No. Honestly, like I said, it just makes me more nervous and thus more likely to mess up.

See, the Scary B Level guys (I should just refer to them as Raytheon, because it's a skate for current/retired employees) are physical, but not goons. They also don't scream at inexperienced goalies, and will in fact warn me if [x] guy has, say, a high shot, or a really powerful shot and is likely to use it. (my equipment is largely intermediate, and not quite built for B-level shots so I can get a bit bruised, but I don't mind because the skate is enjoyable and a challenge.)

But knocking people's sticks out of their hands, facewashing, tripping people into the boards, it's stupid. Particularly if you work at a job where being injured can really screw you over. If I break an arm, I can still work a desk job, or even babysit, but I'm not going to be able to lift a 400lb patient on a stretcher.

No. Honestly, like I said, it just makes me more nervous and thus more likely to mess up.

See, the Scary B Level guys (I should just refer to them as Raytheon, because it's a skate for current/retired employees) are physical, but not goons. They also don't scream at inexperienced goalies, and will in fact warn me if [x] guy has, say, a high shot, or a really powerful shot and is likely to use it. (my equipment is largely intermediate, and not quite built for B-level shots so I can get a bit bruised, but I don't mind because the skate is enjoyable and a challenge.)

But knocking people's sticks out of their hands, facewashing, tripping people into the boards, it's stupid. Particularly if you work at a job where being injured can really screw you over. If I break an arm, I can still work a desk job, or even babysit, but I'm not going to be able to lift a 400lb patient on a stretcher.

I've had a few try to give me pointers, and a few whom are OVERLY apologetic about their poor defence, but none have yelled at me as of this time.

There is always the occasion where guys think there is no consequences for playing in a dangerous and/or extremely unsportsmanlike manner. Thank G'd that usually, that play is rewarded with BOTH teams beating the crap out of the offender.

I don't mind pointers (unless they're screamed at me, and/or accompanied by a slap with a stick). Nor do I mind apologetic defence (although when the Russians are playing 3v3 on the small ice, the concept of defence is somewhat distorted. I get a lot of shots in 3v3, and that's okay.)

One guy, last night, cleared the puck by shooting it over the back of the net. While I was in the net. Directly over my shoulder. I was kind of ticked about that - that could've hurt like a bejeebus. Never seen anyone do that before. Presumably, because it's an incredibly stupid thing to do.

The times I've skated with [ambulance service] I sometimes feel like there's a point where they decide defending me isn't worth the effort, but I could just be paranoid.

On an unrelated note, I probably need to upgrade my chest protector. The damn torso keeps curling inward, leaving my squishier parts vulnerable. (I also get hit in the upper ribs fairly often). I will try tightening the belly strap - I've lost about 40lbs since playing goal. Then I will consider the options for 'senior torso, intermediate arms'.

So this morning went much better than Wednesday or Thursday, although Thursday's whole experience (being screamed at, being hit a couple times, etc.) has apparently undone a lot of good therapy :dry: since I was shaking-nervous and nearly cried after letting in a third goal. In my defense, it's been a very long week overall. Wednesday was a good, clean butt-kicking (playing against guys who are several levels above me in terms of skill), but Thursday was a nightmare. Today started out pretty rocky but my teammates persist in reassuring me (depending on the day this can be like drilling through bedrock with a super-soaker, so props to them) and I was feeling much better as the game went on, and played much better as well.

• Like 2

We lost 5-1 last night against the first place team.

I can honestly say I should have had 1 of those goals. First goal was a beauty snipe, top right corner from middle of the face-off circle. I should have had this next goal, banked off the inside of my right leg as I slid to my left to seal the post, the shot came from down at the bottom of the face-off circle and in between the goal line....ugh! Third goal, COMPLETELY screened, couldn't even see it come off the stick, this happened right after I told my defensemen I couldn't see and to move left or right, then I saw the puck go through is legs, then mine. :( Fourth and Fifth goals were hogwash, I made the first and second initial save on scrambles in front and then the puck squirted to the back door where no one was covering their player and they were able to knock them in...one of them i almost had with a desperation dive. Overall though I was very happy with my play, I stuffed two or three 2 on 1's with beauty lateral butterfly slide saves! My goalie buddy was watching from the stands and always has great things to say, very positive reinforcement for every game. It also helps because he recognizes and understands the goals that I couldn't save were results of defensive breakdowns. He also ribs me for ones that I should of had. haha.

The team started off solid in the first and it was 0-0 after 1. Then they just kind of got gassed in the second and third. Also, this was our first game in 3 weeks, and I guess we have this coming Sunday off as well. :/ Looks like I may try to find a stick time or pick-up to get in on this weekend.

Flop: we seem to have the same leg dimensions. I was comfortable in a Warrior Ritual 32+1.5"

Well that's good news, because that's the pad I just ordered, and they should be here today!

UPDATE: UPS just pulled in. I won't get them on the ice today because I'm on shift tonight, but I'll definitely be sprawled all over the living room!

Edited by Flop_N_Pray
  • Like 1

Well that's good news, because that's the pad I just ordered, and they should be here today!

UPDATE: UPS just pulled in. I won't get them on the ice today because I'm on shift tonight, but I'll definitely be sprawled all over the living room!

Pictures!