Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

Good god man! Get some knee pads! That gap is way bigger than you think it is when you're in the butterfly.

Luckily, I no longer have to pour all my money into RMV fees and driving lessons, so I should at some near point be able to afford a set. The feeble little thigh wraps on my pads help a little, but as soon as I can get some knee pads I'm dispatching them entirely. Unfortunately the LHS doesn't have a broad selection, and I have to head an hour or so out of town because a certain local chain decided to consolidate all their goalie stuff in one of two locations.

Man, thanks again guys. I really appreciate the feedback! I'm glad I am able to post here and everyone is mature enough to post constructive feedback for us noob tendies! I'm planning on doing a clinic again tomorrow night so I will be sure to work on all of the things mentioned! I also want to learn to do the butterfly push/slide, I haven't even tried it yet, but I have watched many videos on it.

Speaking of knee guards, my buddy at GM recommended these to me and I have been using them since day one, they are great, and they don't slip. (i do wear them under my hockey socks). At first they kind of pinched the outer, upper area above my knee, but once you wear them a couple times that pinch goes away.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/bauer-goalie-supreme-knee-guards-sr.html

product%5C201335111435555815-supreme_kne

Biggest thing to remember on butterfly pushes is to get your weight on to the push leg, When I coach adult goalies, all the ones that have problems with butterfly pushes are all because they don't get their weight onto the push foot and then don't control it in the slide. They want to get the weight onto the front leg which increases the friction on the sliding pad by a lot, and shortens their slide and/or causes them to spin in circles.

The nice thing about this section is that most people are novice goalies. It's not a board for experienced goalies. So things will be more constructive and less 'dude, you suck."

• Like 2

Speaking of knee guards, my buddy at GM recommended these to me and I have been using them since day one, they are great, and they don't slip. (i do wear them under my hockey socks). At first they kind of pinched the outer, upper area above my knee, but once you wear them a couple times that pinch goes away.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/bauer-goalie-supreme-knee-guards-sr.html

201335111435555815-supreme_knee.jpg

I bought those at one point (along with others... the Reactors, and some Vaughns if I recall) and they stayed up thanks to the garter clips (a must-have IMO) but I remember them feeling exceptionally bulky.

I ended up going with http://www.goaliemonkey.com/brians-goalie-accessories-knee-pads-sr.html

YumPcPmm.png

Very similar to the Bauer but the big pad over the knee cap floats a bit more than the Bauer did, kind of like the Warrior knee pads do. The idea is that when you go down the floating pad shifts up so that you're not kneeling on it, and its protecting the top of your knee and thigh. See:

xWXCKVdm.png

You wear socks? I couldn't do it, just too hot. Though I do like that they cover over the knee pads so they don't get caught up in my pants or knee stacks. I'm thinking of cutting off the top 12" or so of some Edge socks, stitching some elastic in them, and wearing them solely as knee pad covers.

Biggest thing to remember on butterfly pushes is to get your weight on to the push leg, When I coach adult goalies, all the ones that have problems with butterfly pushes are all because they don't get their weight onto the push foot and then don't control it in the slide. They want to get the weight onto the front leg which increases the friction on the sliding pad by a lot, and shortens their slide and/or causes them to spin in circles.

The nice thing about this section is that most people are novice goalies. It's not a board for experienced goalies. So things will be more constructive and less 'dude, you suck."

I definitely spin in circles when I try to butterfly push. I rarely do it at this point because I just can't seem to get it right and don't have anyone showing me. I can't do bloody t-pushes either. Why is that so much harder to do than it looks?

And yes I agree about the novice thing. Thats the whole reason I started this thread, specifically for adults who for whatever reason decided to jump into it. I personally think it's friggin awesome that theres THREE of us in this thread all learning at the same time and are more or less at the same level in our development.

thanks for the pointers psulion22! all the things you called out about novices and the BF push explains my poor technique when I first tried how to do it! that is exactly the advice i was looking for, proper technique when learning new moves. when i first tried it, i had no idea of what i was doing, but thinking back i had WAY too much weight on the front leg. i will try these again tomorrow night, now that i understand the proper way to do them.

OR, regarding the socks. I haven't tried compression pants yet, but honestly the socks I use aren't all that hot at all, they are game-used LA Kings away socks, not sure the maker, but they breathe very well. I also like them due to the fact (like you mentioned) they keep the knee guards in place, not only that, they protect the insider liner of my pants so the velcro tabs won't tear them up.

And yes, this thread is a God'send. I'm very happy you made it, I love coming here and seeing the new replies from fellow new goalies and the veterans who have been so helpful!

Edited by beedee
  • Like 1

I bought those at one point (along with others... the Reactors, and some Vaughns if I recall) and they stayed up thanks to the garter clips (a must-have IMO) but I remember them feeling exceptionally bulky.

I ended up going with http://www.goaliemonkey.com/brians-goalie-accessories-knee-pads-sr.html

YumPcPmm.png

Very similar to the Bauer but the big pad over the knee cap floats a bit more than the Bauer did, kind of like the Warrior knee pads do. The idea is that when you go down the floating pad shifts up so that you're not kneeling on it, and its protecting the top of your knee and thigh. See:

xWXCKVdm.png

You wear socks? I couldn't do it, just too hot. Though I do like that they cover over the knee pads so they don't get caught up in my pants or knee stacks. I'm thinking of cutting off the top 12" or so of some Edge socks, stitching some elastic in them, and wearing them solely as knee pad covers.

I definitely spin in circles when I try to butterfly push. I rarely do it at this point because I just can't seem to get it right and don't have anyone showing me. I can't do bloody t-pushes either. Why is that so much harder to do than it looks?

And yes I agree about the novice thing. Thats the whole reason I started this thread, specifically for adults who for whatever reason decided to jump into it. I personally think it's friggin awesome that theres THREE of us in this thread all learning at the same time and are more or less at the same level in our development.

Those looking for not bulky, comfortable knee pads might want to consider Maltese KTPs. Yes they are expensive, but they are flexible and light and just as protective as the big boys. http://maltesesports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3&zenid=2289e55e3e852a7000776d1f1c6c6d9c

It's tough because it's counter-intuitive. Your thought would be to get your body going to where you are moving. But in reality, you want to keep your weight on the push side and behind your movement. So on pushes, T-pushes, and even shuffles, you want to keep as much weight as possible off your lead leg to reduce friction. This is important on T-pushes because you can't pivot your foot as well with the weight on it. So you can't turn it to point it were you want to go, and it's even harder to get it back to straight to stop once you start moving. It's also helpful to think of it in terms of consecutive movements. You're not just doing something to make one save. You have to do it to set up the next save if you have to make it. If you put your weight in the front of your movement, you have to do that much more to get it back centered and going the other way. If you keep it trailing, it's centered and requires less time and energy to change your direction. You can use your momentum to load the push leg.

Edited by psulion22
  • Like 1

I like Cory Wogtech's videos for goaltending. He has a newer DVD series available for sale, but there are some videos on youtube. He does a good job of explaining and demonstrating basic technique and philosophy in a way that will help you translate it into your game. It's not just - "do this". It's - "do this. Here's how, and here's why."

Edited by psulion22
  • Like 2

Ah, the W Goaltending series. I was planning on buying that. ProHybrid as well. I've heard both positive and negative things about both, but I figure if I get ANYTHING from them, they were worth the money. Especially when you don't have the luxury of a coach telling you how to do things correctly.

Ah to hell with it, I just bought the series. $150 isn't too much of an investment.

Edited by OptimusReim

So I am still experiencing a lingering strain type of feeling behind my left knee, kind of at the bottom of my hamstring. I think it could be from overuse of those muscles? I played 3 times in net last week and skated out once. I'm doing my best to rest it up, and am taking this week off from clinics. Anyone else experience this? I don't recall hyper-extending my legs at any points during any of my sessions. The discomfort was at its highest point on Sunday and has slowly declined since then, but it hasn't gone away. I have been stretching every night, and been using a foam roller as well since Sunday. Thoughts?

• Like 1

So I am still experiencing a lingering strain type of feeling behind my left knee, kind of at the bottom of my hamstring. I think it could be from overuse of those muscles? I played 3 times in net last week and skated out once. I'm doing my best to rest it up, and am taking this week off from clinics. Anyone else experience this? I don't recall hyper-extending my legs at any points during any of my sessions. The discomfort was at its highest point on Sunday and has slowly declined since then, but it hasn't gone away. I have been stretching every night, and been using a foam roller as well since Sunday. Thoughts?

Yea, take it easy. 3 times in net in a week for a new goalie is just asking for injury. Do some off-ice stretches and some weights but otherwise take it easy for a bit. I was playing 3 times a week (2 in goal and 1 skating out) a couple months ago and it was just too much. The body wasn't happy.

Yeah, sounds like a little over work. Do you wear compression shorts or pants? I find that compression shorts, especially the new CCM ones with the tighter rubber strips, really help with fatigue and injuries like pulls and strains from over use. I used to get groin strains when I would play a lot before I started with the compression shorts. Now i don't get them anymore, and I'm playing more than I have in years (sometimes 5x a week, including 4 consecutive days and 2x on one of those days).

Edited by psulion22
  • Like 1

thanks p22! i dont currently use compression shorts, sounds like they would be a great investment. do the ones you use have the velcro tabs for socks? im currently using the baggy mesh ones from Warrior.

And I'm wearing the 37.5 stuff from bauer.

Shirt: http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=BNPLS

Pants: http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=BPPP

And yes, the 37.5 is worth every damn penny. The more skin covered the better in regulating temperature, too.

I don't wear player socks, these pants are all I need (and I don't need velcro). I looked at the padded version but I figured the pads likely wouldn't sit in the right place for me since I'm not their "ideal" shape (5'9, 220lbs, so I'd guess the knee pads would be a couple inches below my knees).

For skate socks, swiftwick aspire 5s due to how short they are (again, more skin covered by 37.5 material) and also the double thick cuffs around the ankles are really nice with the shorter tops that goal skates have.

I wear the 37.5 long sleeve shirts (though i wish they were a little tighter). And also the 37.5 skate socks. I agree that it does work better than the materials in the past. I feel drier and cooler in these shirts. They are definitely worth the money. I went back and forth about the jocks, but went with the CCM because the Bauer 37.5 ones just didn't provide enough compression.

I wear the 37.5 long sleeve shirts (though i wish they were a little tighter). And also the 37.5 skate socks. I agree that it does work better than the materials in the past. I feel drier and cooler in these shirts. They are definitely worth the money. I went back and forth about the jocks, but went with the CCM because the Bauer 37.5 ones just didn't provide enough compression.

I sized down in all of it just to make sure it was tight. 37.5 doesn't really do jack if its loose.

I sized down in all of it just to make sure it was tight. 37.5 doesn't really do jack if its loose.

That made it too tight in the neck and armpits. The shirts are cut tighter in the shoulders and looser in the chest and stomach. So the correct size was right in the shoulders and looser in the body, as it is meant to be. I just prefer a tighter fit all around.

That made it too tight in the neck and armpits. The shirts are cut tighter in the shoulders and looser in the chest and stomach. So the correct size was right in the shoulders and looser in the body, as it is meant to be. I just prefer a tighter fit all around.

I probably didn't notice because I'm fat :)

Sigh. Absolutely lit up in the championship game of my first league as a goalie. 7-1 loss.

At least the bad goals didn't start until the third goal so it wasn't a stinker that ended up being the winning goal.

I'm still in shock. They even had a big ass trophy and everything. Man... Humiliating.

Thats a bummer man. Was there a defensive lapse by your team in the 3rd? Certainly looks like the offensive didn't show up for your team.

Thats a bummer man. Was there a defensive lapse by your team in the 3rd? Certainly looks like the offensive didn't show up for your team.

Offense definitely didn't show up, but the 3rd goal was off our own d-man in front and in and it just got worse from there. Couldn't stop even simple shots.

On every whistle that isn't resulting in a faceoff in my end, I skate to the right (always the right) corner and just stare into the glass. I just want to clear my head and not focus on anything that has happened up to that point. I certainly don't want to watch the other team celebrate, or my team hang their heads or glare at me if it was one they *think* I should have had. It also doesn't let them see when I am burning holes through them with my stares after they do something glaringly wrong. You can't let the bad third goal, which was seemingly a big one in the game, affect your play later. It doesn't matter if it was your fault, their fault, no one's fault, just forget it and focus on making the next save. Always making the next save - as opposed to "not letting in any more goals". Late in close games, I will literally continually say to myself "stop every shot". Goalie is a much more mental position than skating out. Success is built from trying to ignore momentum, rather than harnessing it like a skater. Every shot is unrelated to the one before it, and the one after it. You need to have a short memory and the ability to ignore everything but the puck.

• Like 1