Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

Beedee, you can just got to Marshalls and pick up a few pairs of running / workout compression shorts. It's my first layer under my compression pants and jock. I did get myself a new set of pants six months ago when shock doctor had one of those flash email sales.

Edited by SirJW
  • Like 1

On every whistle that isn't resulting in a faceoff in my end, I skate to the right (always the right) corner and just stare into the glass. I just want to clear my head and not focus on anything that has happened up to that point. I certainly don't want to watch the other team celebrate, or my team hang their heads or glare at me if it was one they *think* I should have had. It also doesn't let them see when I am burning holes through them with my stares after they do something glaringly wrong. You can't let the bad third goal, which was seemingly a big one in the game, affect your play later. It doesn't matter if it was your fault, their fault, no one's fault, just forget it and focus on making the next save. Always making the next save - as opposed to "not letting in any more goals". Late in close games, I will literally continually say to myself "stop every shot". Goalie is a much more mental position than skating out. Success is built from trying to ignore momentum, rather than harnessing it like a skater. Every shot is unrelated to the one before it, and the one after it. You need to have a short memory and the ability to ignore everything but the puck.

I do the same, and did my best to do that in this game too. And every time it was "whatever, I'll stop the next one, it will get the team pumped up and they'll go score" in my head. Except it went in. Every. Time.

Feeling fine and dandy in the skates this morning, except the stiffness, but that's going away. Coach was excited to see that I now have actual goalie skates and he can teach me to move properly.

Had a few decent saves and a few awful goals in pickup. I'm a little gun-shy after having been sat on twice in the past month, and it takes me about 5-10 minutes to get past that and get moving without worrying about being pancaked.

My hip (just the one) is confounding me. Last Friday it stiffed up so badly I felt like I couldn't move my leg properly. It seems to be a combination of low back, hip flexor, and IT band tightness, and I'm working on it at the gym, or trying to. The other leg is fine, but the right one needs to get with the program.

I'm also feeling like maybe I should try some slightly larger pads - 30s might not be cutting it for me. The local hockey chain is having a goalie shindig next weekend so perhaps I can find a good deal. Another goalie at the clinic suggested the Bauer Reactor 2000s. Right now I have RBK X-Pulse 9000s (junior), which aren't at all bad pads (they are quite - squishy? - for lack of a better term). Anyone have words about the Bauer line?

Has anyone tried the Nike Combat Compression series?

I wear nothing but the Nike or Under Armour compression.

I have a bunch of it from over the years and there is no way I will spend money on hockey specific stuff when what I have been wearing works the same.

• Like 1

I'm also feeling like maybe I should try some slightly larger pads - 30s might not be cutting it for me. The local hockey chain is having a goalie shindig next weekend so perhaps I can find a good deal. Another goalie at the clinic suggested the Bauer Reactor 2000s. Right now I have RBK X-Pulse 9000s (junior), which aren't at all bad pads (they are quite - squishy? - for lack of a better term). Anyone have words about the Bauer line?

I would not recommend the lowest pads, especially the Reactor 2000. They're just... cheap. Quality isn't great. They feel like they'd be okay for ball hockey and thats about it.

Looking at the current sales, I'd look at last year's CCM ExtremeFlex series. Or anything Brians, but I'm biased ;)

You're really in JR pads? How old are you and how tall/big are you?

I wear nothing but the Nike or Under Armour compression.

I have a bunch of it from over the years and there is no way I will spend money on hockey specific stuff when what I have been wearing works the same.

Definitely doesn't work the same, at least if you get the 37.5 stuff ;) But I understand not everyone cares enough about what they likely consider a small benefit if they already have a baselayer that works for them. For me personally I had to buy new stuff anyway since I wear long sleeve and long leg under my goalie gear, but shorts and short sleeve under player gear. Just made sense to get the Bauer stuff since 37.5 is so much better than anything else I've ever tried. YMMV.

Did you have yourself sized to fit a 30?

When I went back to playing goalie a few years ago the new pad sizing mess me all up 34 +2 or +1 was the hardest thing to figure out until I got sized to the correct pad.

If by squishy you mean soft I would look at a bit higher pad then the 2k. Price is always the fun part of the game trying to figure out how much is too much

• Like 1

Did you have yourself sized to fit a 30?

When I went back to playing goalie a few years ago the new pad sizing mess me all up 34 +2 or +1 was the hardest thing to figure out until I got sized to the correct pad.

If by squishy you mean soft I would look at a bit higher pad then the 2k. Price is always the fun part of the game trying to figure out how much is too much

Doesn't help that different manufacturers have different sizing. When I got properly fitted I was told 32 in Brians and... Vaughn? I think. And 33 in Reebok or Bauer. Or something like that, it's been a long time since I was sized.

I would definitely go +2 next time I get pads though, for me personally.

Edited by OptimusReim

I'm 28 and 5'6". The more I play the more I realize the 30's are just a hair too small for me - I could probably go with 31 or 32, depending on the maker. I got my pads at Play It Again Sports when I was still playing just ball hockey, so they weren't really sized so much as 'what feels like it fits reasonably well'. At the time there was also a pair of 32" reebok ... revoke? I think, but they felt too clumsy.

By squishy I do mean soft. They flex well and I don't have any problems with the impact of pucks. The landing gear is a bit thin and I do get nailed right above the knee rather often. I think there's a picture of me somewhere in this thread with my pads on.

I can't really afford anything right now, I mean, I don't think I can even spare the money to get knee pads, but it's nice to look. The local chain's goalie expo just happened to be coming up. I look at craigslist now and then but half of what's on CL is like ... 26" munchkin pads and half is 37" tree pads. (who the heck wears 37+2 pads, Groot? Chewbacca? Jeez.)

• Like 1

I'm 28 and 5'6". The more I play the more I realize the 30's are just a hair too small for me - I could probably go with 31 or 32, depending on the maker. I got my pads at Play It Again Sports when I was still playing just ball hockey, so they weren't really sized so much as 'what feels like it fits reasonably well'. At the time there was also a pair of 32" reebok ... revoke? I think, but they felt too clumsy.

By squishy I do mean soft. They flex well and I don't have any problems with the impact of pucks. The landing gear is a bit thin and I do get nailed right above the knee rather often. I think there's a picture of me somewhere in this thread with my pads on.

I can't really afford anything right now, I mean, I don't think I can even spare the money to get knee pads, but it's nice to look. The local chain's goalie expo just happened to be coming up. I look at craigslist now and then but half of what's on CL is like ... 26" munchkin pads and half is 37" tree pads. (who the heck wears 37+2 pads, Groot? Chewbacca? Jeez.)

Haha. Yea CL is good, eBay has some good stuff too. Pro return stuff can be pretty cheap (or rather, as expensive as retail models except you're getting the pro specs).

Really though the knee pads should be what you're focused squarely on at this point. I get hit above the knee with them on and it still hurts like a bitch but at least I can walk after the game. Can't even imagine the bruise if I didn't have them.

When you butterfly are you landing right in the middle of the landing gear? That's usually a better indication than anything else. If you find the gear too soft you can replace it pretty easily. Most brands are either velcro or laced in. I find mine a bit too squishy too and am having Sara @ PAW make me some new ones that are a bit more solid and have a lip on them so they're flush on the ice. I'm pretty damn happy with my leg pads at this point except for that, so hopefully that makes them perfect.

I actually just ordered the new CCM Premier chest/arm since I really want something with adjustable arms and they look fantastic. At this point my Reactor 4000 has the arms stitched up to shorten them... has worked well, but has put some of the padding in slightly the wrong place. I sold some player gear to get the money to buy the C/A :) If I don't like them when they arrive, I'll send em back and just buy the GoPro I wanted.

Edited by OptimusReim

If they are having a big sale going on I would try and see what kinds of deals you can get. A local place near me does a clear out each year and some of the deals they have are great and some just so so.

Also there is nothing wrong with going into the shop and have them fit you for pad. Tell them you are looking at all brands and have them size you that way when your looking on CL or ebay you know what size to grab and wont have to worry about it.

• Like 1

Haha. Yea CL is good, eBay has some good stuff too. Pro return stuff can be pretty cheap (or rather, as expensive as retail models except you're getting the pro specs).

Really though the knee pads should be what you're focused squarely on at this point. I get hit above the knee with them on and it still hurts like a bitch but at least I can walk after the game. Can't even imagine the bruise if I didn't have them.

When you butterfly are you landing right in the middle of the landing gear? That's usually a better indication than anything else. If you find the gear too soft you can replace it pretty easily. Most brands are either velcro or laced in. I find mine a bit too squishy too and am having Sara @ PAW make me some new ones that are a bit more solid and have a lip on them so they're flush on the ice. I'm pretty damn happy with my leg pads at this point except for that, so hopefully that makes them perfect.

I actually just ordered the new CCM Premier chest/arm since I really want something with adjustable arms and they look fantastic. At this point my Reactor 4000 has the arms stitched up to shorten them... has worked well, but has put some of the padding in slightly the wrong place. I sold some player gear to get the money to buy the C/A :) If I don't like them when they arrive, I'll send em back and just buy the GoPro I wanted.

Maybe I'm just used to it, because it hurts, but it's never quite that bad. I mean it stings, but you just kind of keep playing and eventually it's just sore. I walk it off afterward when I have to get to the bus or train. At my Saturday pickup it's all wrist shots from close in- no one's taking a lot of major slapshots because it's smaller ice and none of them seem to be big fans of the slapshot anyway. (they just like passing all over the place to confuse me.)

I probably land ... a little ahead of the landing gear, not all the way off it. I'm still hitting it. I have some extra chunks I can lace in. It's thin, not squishy. The pad itself is squishy, like a pillow.

My C/A is an intermediate XL, which has partially adjustable arms. But the straps attaching the arms to the body are always getting twisted so I might find a way to have them permanently fixed in. At least, again, when I have money.

If they are having a big sale going on I would try and see what kinds of deals you can get. A local place near me does a clear out each year and some of the deals they have are great and some just so so.

Also there is nothing wrong with going into the shop and have them fit you for pad. Tell them you are looking at all brands and have them size you that way when your looking on CL or ebay you know what size to grab and wont have to worry about it.

It's 15% off everything, so it's not really all that much. I realize also I don't have a ride to the middle of nowhere the store, and renting a zipcar just to poke around isn't really work it. If I want to poke around at goal pads that I can't afford I can just take the bus to the smaller LHS. It's not a priority right now, I was just curious what people thought of them, that's all.

My first Rookie League game is this Sunday, I am excited. I'm sure the ability level of the skaters will be all over the place. Oh well, got to start somewhere. Also, my buddy whom has played goal all his life (and is 10 years younger) is going to give me some on-ice instruction at a StickTime on Monday. I am thinking of bringing the GoPro for that one.

Side note, the same guy mentioned above works at Goalie Monkey and said I just missed Ryan Miller by 10 minutes yesterday when I was on my way to the store.

Edited by beedee
  • Like 2

Bummer... I was so excited for the new CCM Premier C/A. Got them, tried them on, and yea... not gonna work. The arms are shortened as much as possible and they're still about 6" too long. I just cant seem to get them up high enough on my arms. Oh well... sticking with the Reactor 4000 I guess. I'll send this back and get the gopro I've wanted instead.

my buddy showed me that the bauer reactor 6000 went on sale for $279.00. i tried it on and it wasnt too bad, but felt pretty bulky. it did have a lot of adjustments though. i want to try it on again but will wear a mask to see if my chin gets caught up when looking left and right in a downward motion.

• Like 1

my buddy showed me that the bauer reactor 6000 went on sale for $279.00. i tried it on and it wasnt too bad, but felt pretty bulky. it did have a lot of adjustments though. i want to try it on again but will wear a mask to see if my chin gets caught up when looking left and right in a downward motion.

I basically went into GM and told the guy I'll be playing in D6 and he said "at that level, anything in the store will be protective enough, so just get what's comfortable". He said the Reactor 4000 was by far the most popular recently for non-high level goalies and when I tried it on it was by far the most comfortable. I tried every C/A in the store under $300 and the Reactor was no doubt the best for me. I just wish the arms were shorter, but I stitched them up with a speedy stitcher and now they sit almost where they should on my wrists.

Thats a drag the CCM didnt work out for you. I was thinking of checking the one.7 chesty from Bauer ad well. it is $50 cheaper, but I wonder how much of a protection factor would I actually notice? I understand that sometimes we have to sacrifice mobilty for protection, or protection for mobility.

Thats a drag the CCM didnt work out for you. I was thinking of checking the one.7 chesty from Bauer ad well. it is $50 cheaper, but I wonder how much of a protection factor would I actually notice? I understand that sometimes we have to sacrifice mobilty for protection, or protection for mobility.

The Supreme chests werent too bad, the reactor was definitely more comfy though, for me at least. I feel very mobile in it.

I have the Ritual Pro C/A. Expensive, but the mobility is insane, and super comfortable.

After using first their player sticks and now their goal equipment, I will say that I am a BIG fan of Warrior and what they have been doing lately.

• Like 1

Well that was brutal! I must have faced at least 30 shots, gave up one in the 2nd, and two in the third. First goal went 7-hole, felt it go off my left bicep. Second goal I was completely screened on, saw it right as it went through the D's legs and over my left pad. Third goal was blocker side and I was so exhausted at that point that I couldnt get it in front of the shot. Our team only had 10 shots, and was shutout.

So about this team, literally 8 of the 10 skaters seriously looked like they have never skated before. My buddy whom is also brand new looked like a super star compared to them. I cant even tell you how many breakaways I stopped, 2 on 0's, men left all alone wide open in the slot. The refs were giving me propps, and said this game would be so out of hand if I wasnt standing on my head. I even had two sprawling saves that I surprised myself with.

My buddy joked that it was like keystone cops on ice! Our team was clearly outmatched, meaning the other team had people that knew what they were doing, had hockey sense, and ability. Our team, not so much. People were literally falling down as they tried to play the puck. I finally had to use our timeout halfway through the 3rd when it was only 2-0. I calmly told the team what I was seeing and was asking for help because I was gassed...I almost puked, thats how many shots I was facing.

I guess thats what you get when you sign up for Rookie League. I was just hoping that we had more players with more hockey sense, and even margianally better skills (hopefully those will develop). I was also helping them with their positioning on lining up for faceoffs in our zone. The plus side of all this is that I will learn very quickly, I have no choice.

Overall I felt strong but my endurance declined fast as the 3rd period wound down. I focused on keeping my stick down and my butt down as well. My stance felt good, I pushed it a bit wider than last time out and that helped with my b-fly. During warmups I actually did some b-fly slides and it was fun!

A gal was taking pix at the game tonight from our bench, I will post some when she uploads them. Tomorrow I am doing that StickTime with my goalie buddy whom is going to give me instruction. I will be bringing my GoPro, so I will put together another video and post it here for you guys to give me more feedback.

Edited by beedee
  • Like 3

Awesome job. It's very tough at first, especially when you don't have a team in front of you that can help you out. Sounds you did great, and had an awesome time. Remember to build off of the things you did well, and use the confidence going forward. Conversely, use the mistakes you make as a learning experience and don't let the bad games bring you down.

• Like 2

Sounds awesome man. I think it's less of a bummer that your team is so inexperienced than that the other team is so skilled in a rookie league. That kind of defeats the point. Our entire rookie league sounded like your description of your team, and everyone improved together. It was really great, actually.

Thanks OR. I agree, the goalie on the other team isnt a rookie, he was my roller hockey goalie, and has played a season or two of ice. He told me that most of their team was returning players, so maybe 2nd season? Either way, I will stick with it as long as I can, if it is just too much to take I will see if I can bump up to Copper or Bronze.

Nice job, Beedee!

To conserve energy, I was taught a 3 stage approach. It helps keep you focused and engaged, but not wasting energy when you don't need to.

Stage 1 - low shooting threat. This is when the other team has the puck, but is not in an area that they have a likelyhood of scoring. That can be bringing the puck through the neutral zone, or over the blueline in a transition situation, or as the puck is moving from low in the zone to the point, or point-to-point, without a one-timer available. Basically any time the other team has the puck but is not going to shoot it on net. In these situations you should be in your "ready" stance (feet shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent, more upright) and be moving and staying on the angle and telescope out to the proper depth. This stage doesn't require much energy as you are more upright. Don't confuse this with being nonchalant or not being ready for a shot. It's more that you are in a position where the shot is far enough away that you would still have time to react and make a save, without having to be all the way into your crouch.

Stage 2 - high shooting threat. Now the other team has the puck with possession in the zone, and have the ability to get the puck on net. It could be transition where a player is trying to get around a defender, or a pass to a point man where a one-timer is available, or moving the puck into a higher scoring area. Now you should be in your normal goalie crouch, knees bent , feet wider apart, hands in an active position. You should be at the proper depth and angle and be ready to stop a shot. But, you still be relaxed and fluid, ready to move or reposition as needed. This stage requires more energy to be used because your knees are more bent.

Stage 3 - shot imminent. This is as it sounds, there is a shot coming. A player has wound up for a slapper, or is in a scoring area in a shooting posture and is going to shoot the puck. You should be deeper in your crouch to get lower to the ice, with your weight over the balls of your feet. Your muscles should be tight and ready to explode to make a save, edges engaged into the ice. You should be focused on the puck. This stage uses the most energy and you should try to only use it when a shot is imminent and you are going to have to make a save.

Now it is possible that you will go through all 3 stages on the same play, in both directions. But doing this will allow you to conserve more energy than if you just stayed deep in your crouch the whole time.

For example, a player gets the puck and comes out of their zone 2 on 2 with your D. As he gets towards your blue line you should be in Stage 1. Now that player accelerates and tries to beat your defender wide. Now you go to stage 2 to be ready in case he shoots. He beats your defender at the top of the circle and comes in alone to shoot. Obviously now you are at stage 3, deep in your crouch, ready to make a save. So you went from 1 to 2 to 3 as the potential for a shot increased.

You can go the other way too. Take that example. The guy now shoots and you make the save. Your defenseman hammers the rebound out of the way off the boards trying to get it out. You should get up and back to stage 1. The other attacker turns to the boards to get the puck and grabs it, but he is facing the boards and can't really shoot (1). He backhand passes the puck to his point guy who can shoot (2). But your defender gets in the lane so he passes it D to D (1). That guy gets it and can shoot (2). He winds up (3) but pulls off to change the angle (2), then walks a little and takes the slapshot(3). You make a save and send the rebound back towards the boards on the same side. There your Dman and their forward battle for the puck on the boards (1). Their guy wins it (2), comes off the boards into the circle (3), but passes it across the slot (2) to no one (1). Your team then collects it and breaks the puck out of the zone. So you can see that in that one possession you went 1-2-3-1-2-1-2-3-2-3-1-2-3-2-1. And you would have saved a lot more energy than staying in your crouch, in either 2 or 3, the whole time.

Just got back from StickTime at KHS and Teemu Selanne's son was skating it...he is a natural!

I finally had some great instruction in net today and learned lateral butterfly slides to block one timers, learneed how to set up in Reverse VH from the top of the crease to a b-fly slide to the post, also worked on t-pushing to top of the crease, then shuffle across the arc of the crease as the skater changed his position out front with the puck. There was a minor league goalie (everglades) who was skating out and helping us out. He took my ringer virginity and zipped one high and hit me square in the mask...that was a clink to a quick ring that disapated fast. He also got me good in the shoulder, stinger fo'sho. Im getting a new chesty on Wednesday since mine is ancient!

Today was a blast as I learned some fundamentals that I can work on from here on out!

• Like 1