Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

18 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I am also on the "it doesn't have to cost $500" wagon, as well. But I also feel that helmets are better than masques. Yes, you have the jiggle factor IF you don't fit it properly. Yes, you don't have some lower jaw protection. But I have taken HARD shots to the noggin, and none made me feel sick and not much ear ringing, either. I admit there is some space between my head and my helmet with foam. i have been run twice and having the extra security of a solid shell has been worth it for me. 

I digress, it could just be that Shawn Shroeder designs a superior helmet. He takes everything into account, and he KNOWS composite material; there are a few bad designs out there. 

@badger_14 You probably DID have a flukey accident. I seriously hope you are okay. 

The distinction is RETAIL.  There are several niche brands that make superior masks for under $500 - KK, PTS, Sportmask just to name a few.  But many people don't want to go that route and just go in to buy a retail brand mask.  Those are the ones that should really cost over $500 to get to the proper level, imo.  The money spent on a retail mask would be much better served going to a smaller brand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, psulion22 said:

The distinction is RETAIL.  There are several niche brands that make superior masks for under $500 - KK, PTS, Sportmask just to name a few.  But many people don't want to go that route and just go in to buy a retail brand mask.  Those are the ones that should really cost over $500 to get to the proper level, imo.  The money spent on a retail mask would be much better served going to a smaller brand.

Ding! Ding! Ding!!!

Thank you!!!!

Unless I am bound by USA Hockey rules, I will NEVER use a retail masque, and would even go so far to try and mock up the stickers if I HAD to use one of those masques that pass that test. 

19 hours ago, badger_14 said:

@OptimusReim You know, it's a good thing that it's the beginning of the month, and that I worked extra hours the past two weeks, because one of those kits is roughly 1/3 of my usual weekly earnings...

@bunnyman666 I seem to be okay.  If there is hockey this weekend, I probably won't play, and with everything else going on I'll probably skip the softball double-header as well.  Resting is healing, as the hospitals are fond of saying. 

Listen to your uncle bunnydevildude and get some rest, then.

• Like 1

I'll still stick to what's comfortable. The only other mask I'd really consider is the NME10 but I just don't see enough of a difference between the NME8 and NME10 to bother. 

1 minute ago, badger_14 said:

I will rest.  I might even go and see a medical professional about my leg and/or shoulder.  Okay?

Yes. 

Get yourself better, okay?

:)

Got a dangler before the game tonight, and it saved me.

On another note, I need to learn how to shoot the puck better with the goalie stick.

So this video showed up on my FB feed this morning.  I like a lot of what it says, although I think it vastly overestimates the skill of a lot of adult league players with the notion that one skater can consistently pick glove, blocker, and then each pad.  Also, how much warm-up time do they think we have, anyway? 

With the Russian Embassy, typically Misha or Gilad will set me up with five or six shots each from the top of the circle, the slot, and the top of the other circle.  I like that. 

I did like the note about making eye contact with the goalie.  I (personally) hate when people shoot on me blindside, or when my back is turned. 

What about you guys?  What do you like for a warm-up?  Do you get any warm-up time? 

Edited by badger_14
stupid video html
  • Like 1

@badger_14 Warm up? Ha!!!! They usually just start winding up, then skate super-slow penalty shots!!!!

One guy will occasionally warm me up properly with glove, blocker, then each pad and even the body. But a proper warm up rarely happens in these parts.

I hate when they shoot when my back is turned. I have often wanted to jumpout to do my Hextall impersonation, but I just keep my cool.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

@badger_14 Warm up? Ha!!!! They usually just start winding up, then skate super-slow penalty shots!!!!

One guy will occasionally warm me up properly with glove, blocker, then each pad and even the body. But a proper warm up rarely happens in these parts.

I hate when they shoot when my back is turned. I have often wanted to jumpout to do my Hextall impersonation, but I just keep my cool.

So, in other words, you do get time before game for "Warm ups" but it's basically "2 minute danglefest".  Which is mostly what happens around here (alternately: I sit there in the goal and people are STILL SHOOTING AGAINST THE BOARDS LIKE HI?? I AM A GOALIE???), except with the Russian Embassy, who are good and responsible people.

Last Tuesday, I got no warm-up whatsoever and played like crap.  I definitely feel better and more in the groove when someone endeavors to do a proper warm-up.

Edited by badger_14
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if my teams last goalie said something to the team about shooting when the tendy's back is turned or about eye contact but the team as a whole is pretty smart with the whole idea. That's a huge surprise to me since it is a beginner's league. They normally do a breakaway style warmup but there's only one guy that will try and deke but he'll normally save that to the end just as a little extra warmup for both of us (he also only does it once). Most of the shots out of this beginner's league do end up being off of fast breaks so the breakaway warmup makes a lot of sense for me. A few slapshots will get thrown in the mix every now and then but they can't really elevate them anyways so it doesn't make much of a difference. 

• Like 1

I'm sometimes honestly surprised that anybody would shoot on a goalie whose back is turned, or who isn't looking toward the shooter.  I mean, sometimes it happens in a game that a shot comes from an angle you don't quite scramble too fast enough.  But in practice or warm-ups, it should be basic courtesy (and safety awareness) not to fire off a small, hard chunk of rubber at someone who is not aware of the shot incoming.  (padded someone, yes, but not everywhere).  I mean, when my softball team practices or is warming up, we don't throw the ball at someone who's not looking. 

When I'm at a mixed-age stick time, I do have to remind young kids not to shoot at my back, and not to shoot when someone else is in the lane (the mite age group tends to wander), but like, adults.  We should know this. 

At the very least, understand that if your goalie is injured, you end up with at best an annoyed goalie, and at worst an injured goalie who cannot play.

• Like 1

My team has a fairly regular warm up routine.  They'll skate a couple laps while I scuff my crease, then I get one shooter who gets about 10 shots on me from in front just to help get the eye in.  Then it's a drill from the right corner, a group of three go out, to the blue line - first one skates across the blue line curls back and shoots, after the save, I have enough time to quickly recover for a shot from number two who skated along the blue line to the centre, curls back for a shot, then recover for number three who hit the blue line, skated to the left side and takes a shot.  Gives me three shots in fairly quick succession that I have to move and track with.  Repeated from the left after the whole team go through, saving the last couple to give a couple dangles to get me moving laterally (which if they come earlier I just ignore).

When we recruited for our team, we somehow managed to avoid the douches that like to slap shot the net with the goalies back turned.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, badger_14 said:

I'm sometimes honestly surprised that anybody would shoot on a goalie whose back is turned, or who isn't looking toward the shooter.  I mean, sometimes it happens in a game that a shot comes from an angle you don't quite scramble too fast enough.  But in practice or warm-ups, it should be basic courtesy (and safety awareness) not to fire off a small, hard chunk of rubber at someone who is not aware of the shot incoming.  (padded someone, yes, but not everywhere).  I mean, when my softball team practices or is warming up, we don't throw the ball at someone who's not looking. 

When I'm at a mixed-age stick time, I do have to remind young kids not to shoot at my back, and not to shoot when someone else is in the lane (the mite age group tends to wander), but like, adults.  We should know this. 

At the very least, understand that if your goalie is injured, you end up with at best an annoyed goalie, and at worst an injured goalie who cannot play.

LOL Yes, I have had to threaten to skate out of the net if I got three shots at a time or shooting at my head or crotch. I have skated out of the crease after stern warnings, and some have had the nerve to have their parents yell at the rink staff, who simply reply with "what did the demonic lagomorph goalie say about not waiting your turn, shooting at his head or his crotch?"

Some people are ignorant of the fact that most, if not nearly ALL of our protection is on the front of us, optimised for PUCKS, not bodies. We are woefully unprotected if someone runs us into the goal. My favourite is when a commentator will say "the most padded player on the ice", when it is clear that we may be padded, but can't move all that well in comparison to a player. What it comes down to is sheer ignorance. Thankfully, none of the shots whilst turned have hit my back.

• Like 1

Crazy Bloody Drop-In Report:

Twerp fest, Chip fest. Ugh. Decent skate until someone in a half visor got high-sticked and it drew blood. Ugh. Fighting. Ugh.

Positive notes: ten minute shut out. Let in the fewest of all three goalies. Posts rang a LOT. Puck luck in spades.

• Like 1

Who the shit fights in a pick-up?

Maybe I'm lucky that the guys at my pick-up have been playing together for literally decades... there's none of that shit there.

1 minute ago, OptimusReim said:

Who the shit fights in a pick-up?

Maybe I'm lucky that the guys at my pick-up have been playing together for literally decades... there's none of that shit there.

This bloke lost his spot on a junior team because he is a douche bag. Wearing a half-visor causes trouble, and he is the object lesson as to why.

Drop-in Report:

Ugh. New skates. Blades don't reach the ice in butterfly. Had to toe pick across the crease. Sucked like a Dyson. Ugh.

Did stop the former Junior A player, but he hadn't been on the ice since last year.

• Like 1

I understand that the sign up is first come first served, so I am absolutely not in any way frustrated that the lunatic goalie (the one who threw a tantrum because I played better than he did ONE TIME, the one who wasn't invited back, the one half the players didn't want back) got the spot instead of me.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, badger_14 said:

I understand that the sign up is first come first served, so I am absolutely not in any way frustrated that the lunatic goalie (the one who threw a tantrum because I played better than he did ONE TIME, the one who wasn't invited back, the one half the players didn't want back) got the spot instead of me.  

Ugh. Hate asshat goalies.

46 minutes ago, badger_14 said:

The team doesn't have a choice in what goalie they use?

51 minutes ago, OptimusReim said:

The team doesn't have a choice in what goalie they use?

At Saturday hockey/The Russian Embassy, the signup is a googledoc where you input name and check off skater or goalie.  Both the other goalies can skate out, in fact the Lunatic Goalie is actually a really good skater, but apparently people complained that there were too many skaters last week (5 on each bench, and 5v5, for an hour and a half), and so instead of pushing one of the other two to skater status, Misha just bumped me off the slot, and says if a skater drops out he'll move Lunatic (or Nice Goalie) to skater and give me the net slot.  It's not a question of not having a choice, per se, but that Misha didn't think it was fair to take up a skater slot with someone who *could* play goal, n'est-ce pas? 

I am only (not at all) annoyed that Lunatic is skating with the group at all in any position.  I gather he apologized and said he would keep his temper in check and not throw his stick at anyone or whatever else.  I think he's full of shit, but I have minimal faith in people.  I know he was at another skate consistently for a while after being booted from this one (I'm on the mailing list for that skate as well) so maybe they got fed up with him, too. 

The less charitable part of me hopes he beats the crap out of someone so they get the hint that he's not to be trusted.

This is the second to last skate for the summer, I can't skate next week, and I know I'm not all that good, but shit, I've never tried to hurt any of the other players.  Myself, yes.  But no one else.

Of course I am not annoyed not at all of course not.  It's only fair that the first signup gets the slot.

52 minutes ago, OptimusReim said:

What an odd system. 

It's not, really.  99% of the time it works.  Whoever's in charge sends out the email, people sign up, if it gets above a certain number (14 skaters for small ice, 20 for full ice) the person in charge closes it out.  Lunatic and Montana signed up ahead of me, that's all there is too it.  I didn't realize Lunatic had checked off as a goalie.  (I also can't see who's signed up until I sign up). 

I don't really feel like I have any cause to complain because first-come-first-served is how it works.  It's the fairest system there is.  And whether or not Lunatic plays isn't my decision.  If the people running the skate are okay with him playing, then, well, that's how it is.  I don't have to like it, I just have to play goal.  Peter, at least, knows full well that I hate Lunatic skating with us.  Or strongly dislike.