Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brianb

Addtional Abdominal Protection

I'm tall and thin, so finding equipment that fits right has always been tricky. I love my current gear (rbz shoulders, nexus pants) but would love a little more padding on my abdomen. I've been taking more pucks and stick to the stomach lately.
All of the padded shirts I see protect the chest, back, and shoulders (btw, can someone explain the point of these to me? do players wear these in lieu of shoulder pads?)

I've scoured the internet and can't seem to find any shirt or wrap that just covers the stomach.

Has anyone come across something suitable?

Instead of buying, why not just sew some sort of abdominal padding to your existing pads? It's easy to do and you can get creative with the size/type of pad.

I don't have any old pads to cut up, and with the way the rbz's are built, i doubt they'd survive something being sewn onto them.

If i had an old pad, sewing an elastic band and some velcro together would work great. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen something similar out there.

It doesn't have to be old pads, it could really be anything, hence creativity. Or you could go buy some used pads or head to a store and see if they have some of those or some random belly pads lying around that fell off or something.

You don't even have to sew it. Velcro tape, string, whatever.

...i can always duct tape a magazine to my stomach, noted.

now i'm hoping someone else knows of a pad or shirt like i've described. i've been looking at football pads, but haven't found anything yet.

I used lacrosse pads when I came back from an injury. They were more for ribs than stomach, but if you get a style that wraps around completely, you could get the abdominal coverage you want.

Most pads don't have much in the stomach area as that is a major "hinge" area for your body. If you have a lot of padding/material there it's going to interfere with your range of motion.

Do more abdominal exercises. Not kidding. Think of what a fighter has to deal with. You kill two birds with one stone. Protection and a stronger core.

...i can always duct tape a magazine to my stomach, noted.

now i'm hoping someone else knows of a pad or shirt like i've described. i've been looking at football pads, but haven't found anything yet.

Trying to help man, I don't need the sass.

Check the equipment modification thread. There might not be exactly what you are looking for but it could inspire some ideas.

Check the equipment modification thread. There might not be exactly what you are looking for but it could inspire some ideas.

would you point me in that direction?

For hockey you could modify a goalie chest protector to wear for the abdomen.

Or you could try this.

http://www.skeletools.com/trail_riding_impact_vest_chest_protector_p/sk001-l2.htm

I recently got the unequal cobalt for my ribs and they do work very well. Im thinking of removing the shoulder pads from that because my hockey shoulder pads sit a bit higher since theyre resting on top of the unequal shoulder pads.

They actually came in handy when i lost an edge coming in for a line change and slammed my ribs into the boards.

However they do not have abdominal padding.

There are options out there but youll have to ask what the trade off is.

Aireaye gave good advice! Get creative. Check if shops/stores/classifieds for factory 2nds, old, or used gear that you can salvage parts and make something. My son uses the RBZ shoulders and I was thinking of taking the extra abdominal pads off his old Warrior shoulders (on most shoulders they are velcroed on) and put that extra piece on his RBZ's. I'll either make a velcro system or get our local pro shop to sew it on. Since it's under the jersey, it doesn't have to be pretty, just as long as it works!

Another idea is if you wear a shirt under your shoulders, you could always have something sewn onto the shirt in the areas that you want extra coverage. Shouldn't be too hard to find padding.

Good luck!

Most pads don't have much in the stomach area as that is a major "hinge" area for your body. If you have a lot of padding/material there it's going to interfere with your range of motion.

This.

I saw a guy who was wearing a baseball back catcher's stomach protector under his shoulder pads. Yup, even long enough that it tucked right into his pants.

Of course, it looked like he was a complete tin-man on the ice. Couldn't move whatsoever, but he felt the added protection was a trade-off for reduced mobility. Each to their own.

Those are some seriously nice looking under armors.

I found this: http://shop.sydneycitymotorcycles.com.au/p/8188424/fox-turbo-kidney-belt---blackgrey.html

and think it might be the closest thing to what I had in mind. Worst case scenario, those front plates don't move and bend as much as I'm thinking. I'm not willing to give up being able to bend and stretch for that extra protection.

I'm fully aware that my mid section is a (I'd say THE) hinge zone in your body- which is why I had some sort of soft padding in mind. Think soft padding encased in sports elastic. They make them for knees, ankles, elbows, etc. why not for the mid section?

Now that's something I'd probably have to build, yes.

Edit:

TroyLeeDesigns has some great looking 'kidney belts' that are very similar to what I just posted above.

http://www.troyleedesigns.com/moto/protection/kidney-belt