Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Souldriver

runner and holder size and radius

Im moving from my easton eq40 skates with a 10ft radius on a 272 size holder to a bauer nexus 6000. I know the holder is 280 , but anyone know what the stock radius is on this nexus skates? I also know the nexus skates have a pretty neutral pitch, anyone know the stock pitch of the eastons?

With all things the same would having the larger holder effect anything? I would think the radius size would dictate how much steel is on the ice no matter the holder size but im also guessing the holder size effects something. I do notice the older nexus have 272 size holders, any reason for the bigger size on the new skates?

Thanks

9' radius on the Nexus. By any chance are your skates 1/2 sized and EE? Bauer goes up one size on the holders on these skates.

Does Bauer use a different profile radius and pitch on Nexus/Supreme/Vapor?

I assume Lightspeed holders are all the same pitch and outsoles relatively flat, and LS2/3 steel would all have the same profile radius??

It is a 8.5 ee. The eastons and last years nexus 800 i looked at have 272 holders and theyre both 8.5 ee. The easton i can see it being from a different manufacturer.

Btw what steel options do i have for these lightspeed edge holders? The stock stainless steel looks and feels crappy by touch alone, the ls2 on laat years 800 looks to be better but both hail in conparison to the step and stock steels on the eastons.

LS2 steel changed last year. Similar comment was made in this thread:

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/67362-2015-bauer-hockey-catalogue/page-2#entry1018744

The grade of steel is supposed to be better, I'd have to look at my wife's LS2 Edge steel on her new 5000's to compare to my older LS2 (non-edge) steel.

Current options are LS2, Fusion, and LS3. LS4 is due out this summer

At this time, I believe only Bauer manufactured steel is available for the Edge holder. I haven't found the S.Stainless to be bad, but that's a minority view on these forums. Try it out before you decide to replace, in any case. You're left with LS2, LS3, LS Fusion, and soon probably LS4. Apparently new LS2 steel is the same as LS3 in quality but shorter height.

Aaaaaand MThockeydad beat me to the punch...

It seems pretty tough to distinguish between old and new LS2 based on where you buy it from as there's a lot of old stock still floating around. You can get LS3 pretty cheap and it's decent quality steel regardless of when it was made.

It is a 8.5 ee. The eastons and last years nexus 800 i looked at have 272 holders and theyre both 8.5 ee. The easton i can see it being from a different manufacturer.

Btw what steel options do i have for these lightspeed edge holders? The stock stainless steel looks and feels crappy by touch alone, the ls2 on laat years 800 looks to be better but both hail in conparison to the step and stock steels on the eastons.

Fusion, LS2/3, Blackedge

Its hard to explain how it feels as the stainless steel has a deep.rough grain to it. It also feels like if you were to take it out and try to bwnd it it woukd snap in the middle after little relative effort, the step steel feels like it wouldnt snap but bend and after onky much morepressure. Im using it for now as i have no other option, but i would like to know what else is around.

That's just the way it is finished, kind of reminds you of the old cheapo non-removeable steel runners, I know what you mean.

I agree that Step runners are very nicely finished.

Lots more options (Step, Blackedge) for the old Lightspeed2 holders

That's just the way it is finished, kind of reminds you of the old cheapo non-removeable steel runners, I know what you mean.

I agree that Step runners are very nicely finished.

Lots more options (Step, Blackedge) for the old Lightspeed2 holders

I can see the finish on the side not being of big concern but i feel like if the steel is like that all the way through, it would not be great for the edge or where the steel hits the ice. Im still going to skate on the skates and make sure they are good for me before investing in any new steel. I put step steel on my eastons before realizing that the boot will never fit my foot shape (bad foot pain every single skate) and now im stuck tyring to sell the skates and the steel at a big loss.

I can see the finish on the side not being of big concern but i feel like if the steel is like that all the way through, it would not be great for the edge or where the steel hits the ice. Im still going to skate on the skates and make sure they are good for me before investing in any new steel.

2 biggest things determine the hardness/durability/strength of the steel: alloy and heat treating.

Alloy is obviously the chemical "mix" of iron, carbon, chromium, and other trace elements in the stainless.

Heat treating is a combination of heating, cooling, and time. These three in various rates make almost as much of a difference as the alloy. These determine the microcrystalline (grain) structure of the molecules in the steel. Fast heat and fast cool (qwenching) makes steel brittle. Slow heat and slow cooling can make steel really soft. If it's not surface hardened, the steel will be the same "all the way through".

LS2 steel doesn't have a "deep, rough grain" all the way through unless something went horribly wrong in manufacturing.

No, it's probably not quite as good an alloy as Step, but it's pretty damn good. My LS2 steel doesn't hold an edge quite as long as my Step steel.

Is LS2 steel horrible? No.

Is Step steel better? I would agree yes...but not a meeleeeon times better.

I put step steel on my eastons before realizing that the boot will never fit my foot shape (bad foot pain every single skate) and now im stuck tyring to sell the skates and the steel at a big loss.

Would it be worth putting Easton holders on your new skates so you can use your Step steel?

I wouldnt pull apart the eastons, im nkt sure if they will match up anyway especially bc they are a size smaller, its better to sell them. If i do a holder change ill do the lightspeed2 holders with the money from the easton sale.

The steel on my 6000 skates are also the stainless.s and there is a bit of difference between that and the ls2 steel. I see what youre saying about the alloys and how its made but if there is a grain and texture i can see i interfering with the edge. Think of it this way, if the runners were made of swiss cheese and one of the holes is along the blade edge it would snag there a little. Same would go for the muxh smaller texture on the runners.

Does Bauer use a different profile radius and pitch on Nexus/Supreme/Vapor?

I assume Lightspeed holders are all the same pitch and outsoles relatively flat, and LS2/3 steel would all have the same profile radius??

Anyone got an answer to this question?...

Im always hearing about how vapors have a more aggressive forward pitch than nexus or supreme, but they all appear to have the same holders and same steel. Is it the shape of the boot that gives vapors the aggressive pitch? and does anyone know how significant the difference in pitch is between the different Bauer lines?

Anyone got an answer to this question?...

Im always hearing about how vapors have a more aggressive forward pitch than nexus or supreme, but they all appear to have the same holders and same steel. Is it the shape of the boot that gives vapors the aggressive pitch? and does anyone know how significant the difference in pitch is between the different Bauer lines?

A few years ago I had a pair of Supremes profiled to +1 forward, which the guy at that shop said put them at Vapor pitch. No idea if it's true or not though.

I doubt there's a pitch in the steel, and would suspect it's in the boot, like JaniV said.

When you buy new unsharpened steel, it's not marked as "Vapor Pitch", "Nexus Pitch", or "Supreme Pitch".

I doubt there's a pitch in the steel, and would suspect it's in the boot, like JaniV said.

When you buy new unsharpened steel, it's not marked as "Vapor Pitch", "Nexus Pitch", or "Supreme Pitch".

Yeah I should have been more clear in wording that the skate technician meant that the overall pitch of the skate after profiling would be the same as Vapor, not that Vapor has a specific steel. I meant that I was unclear as to whether "+1" on Supremes is equal to that of the stock pitch of Vapor.

Vapors tendonguar is more tilted forward than Nexus or supremes...

That would not be a difference in pitch, just knee and ankle angle. This would more correctly be be called an aggressive "stance". The only way vapors could have a more aggressive pitch would be to have a thicker sole in the heel area.