Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dorsey24

Wheels in Higher end skates

Does anyone know why when you get to the higher end skates the wheels are only 74a??... I mean I'm a bigger fella and 74a's are waaaaay to soft on sport court for me, just curious why the wheels get softer the higher the skates get

I think they are assuming that as you spend more on skates, you probably skate on nicer surfaces. They probably just play the percentages game from there, and offer the wheel they think would make the most sense for the majority of persons.

I think they are assuming that as you spend more on skates, you probably skate on nicer surfaces. They probably just play the percentages game from there, and offer the wheel they think would make the most sense for the majority of persons.

Yep

I still believe that the wheel durometer should increase with the skate size. 76A for Junior-8D, 78A for 9D-12D. Any reason why this has never been done Justin? Inventory nightmares?

Need the wheels on so people can try them on in stores

Also, wheels are one of the biggest differentiators in spec from skate to skate. If you have two skates that both retail for $400, but one has a high end set of wheels and the other has a mid-level wheel....which skate are you more apt to purchase?

Does anyone know why when you get to the higher end skates the wheels are only 74a??... I mean I'm a bigger fella and 74a's are waaaaay to soft on sport court for me, just curious why the wheels get softer the higher the skates get

70% of what we sell to retail is 76a so the majority of the market is buying that hardness. I've heard people ask that skate sizes 10 and up should come with 78a (which makes sense from a spec point of view) but, its a logistical nightmare for both the wheel and the skate companies. When a skate co. is locked into a 78a wheel for size 10+ and they don't end up producing as many as they planned, they now have a bunch of wheels that have no skates to go on. If they're all 76a, they can put those extra wheels on any size they want based on production needs.

Some retailers may swap out the wheels when you buy the skate if the price of the wheels match. Its rare but I've heard it happen before and can't hurt to ask.

Nick

Rink Rat

I think it would be cool if the skate manufacturers sell the skates how they do, but give the customer an option if they want/need a softer or harder wheel based on their preference

Also, wheels are one of the biggest differentiators in spec from skate to skate. If you have two skates that both retail for $400, but one has a high end set of wheels and the other has a mid-level wheel....which skate are you more apt to purchase?

70% of what we sell to retail is 76a so the majority of the market is buying that hardness. I've heard people ask that skate sizes 10 and up should come with 78a (which makes sense from a spec point of view) but, its a logistical nightmare for both the wheel and the skate companies. When a skate co. is locked into a 78a wheel for size 10+ and they don't end up producing as many as they planned, they now have a bunch of wheels that have no skates to go on. If they're all 76a, they can put those extra wheels on any size they want based on production needs.

Some retailers may swap out the wheels when you buy the skate if the price of the wheels match. Its rare but I've heard it happen before and can't hurt to ask.

Nick

Rink Rat

We will do that at my LHS. If a customer asks for a different hardness, we will swap them out at no cost. Keeps customers happy!

HockeyMonkey swapped mine for me. My RPD Team+ came with 74a Milleniums, way too soft for me. HM let me swap them for some 76a, which I then swapped for some 80a.

I understand the logistics might be tough for the manufacturer, but that is not a problem that should be passed down to the consumer. Skates that come with wheels that are too soft or too hard are flat out unusable for a person. It isn't fair for a consumer to have to fork out an additional amount of money just to make the skate usable before their first use.

It is very cool to see that many have posted their LHS have swapped them out for them, it is the right thing to do. As I was trying on my skates, I asked the CSR about swapping the wheels in which he promptly asked his manager if they could do it, they said no problem at all.

Even if they would give an option of wheels.. I know for in store purchases this might be difficult... but online orders just add a drop down box to pick durometer.... while we are at it... why are all the awesome color scemes only for the soft wheels... don't get me wrong I really like the way the Revision Steels look. but some of the Labeda Millenium and Addiction wheels look sick, but they are only in 72a and 74a... Sorry didn't mean to make this a complain-fest

Although this all sounds good in theory, its pretty much a can of worms.

Wheels are really subjective from person to person, but i consider them to be a consumable. I know at some point I will be changing them when the wear down. So in one way im never too bothered about it.

At the end of the day, someone might buy a skate, and find the wheels perfect for them. Others wont.
For example, i bought some Alkali RPD Shift+ recently. This is a second in the range skate, which comes with Labeda Dynasty III wheels which are 74a. Seeing as this skate is 2nd in the range, and using the 2nd in the range wheel from Labeda makes sense for both companies. My understanding is in this wheel model, there are no other durometer's offered. Alkali and Labeda want to show case their skates and wheels at the appropriate price points. This wheel will be the most relevant for the price point that the skate is sold at.

At the end of the day, top end skates will come with top end wheels because its where a lot of the cost is in the skates and for the most part, the consumer is happy with it. However there will always be those who arent.

I think as you never buy skates really that often, the best thing to do is just work out a deal with the retailer, to see if they will swap out the wheels on a like for like basis (ie same wheel swap just in a different durometer), or going for another wheel model and negotiating the offset of cost.

The most practical way to do this will be to just talk to your retailer to see if they are happy doing this. I know this can be harder with online retailers, but i know that a lot of companies are fairly good with customer service, so a phone call or email could help to facilitate this.

I know its a bit annoying, but realistically, its going to be down to the retailer to help you facilitate this imo.

Skate companies, i imagine will have a contract with say labeda or revision or whoever, and those companies will supply the to the skate company. Creating options, for wheel choice, adds a lot of complication, and potentially a lot of waste. Which is never good!

Even if they would give an option of wheels.. I know for in store purchases this might be difficult... but online orders just add a drop down box to pick durometer.... while we are at it... why are all the awesome color scemes only for the soft wheels... don't get me wrong I really like the way the Revision Steels look. but some of the Labeda Millenium and Addiction wheels look sick, but they are only in 72a and 74a... Sorry didn't mean to make this a complain-fest

I don't understand why the online retailers have the Addictions listed at 76a/78a, they aren't. They are much harder than that on the outside, because of their different approach to obtaining grip.

I am looking at getting either the Alaki Crew+ or Comp+ (waiting for the Total Hockey by me to get them in store in my size to try on). I am 6'4 and weigh 295. I am looking for some wheel recommendation to switch to based on my size. Thanks in advance.

The soft white Grippers seem to be a good starting point. If they are too soft, then bump up to the yellow mediums.

I am looking at getting either the Alaki Crew+ or Comp+ (waiting for the Total Hockey by me to get them in store in my size to try on). I am 6'4 and weigh 295. I am looking for some wheel recommendation to switch to based on my size. Thanks in advance.

Based on your size, I would recommend the Comp+. The boot will hold up better based on your size.