Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60PlusWinger

Stick lie for game time vs open ice.

I've used the P88, P92 and P92 lie 5 as well as the stick I'm currently using being a 1N P28. I've played 7 games with the stick even though it's not the first time with the curve those games as I had a V9 and HTX E28. I'm starting to wonder if it's the right lie/curve for me. In open ice sessions messing around with the stick it's great but game time play it hasn't been working that great. When I get ahold of my shot they're great but unlike a P92 where the blade is a big paddle I feel like I have to have the puck in the perfect spot on the blade to get what I want out of it for quick shots.

I like the P88 but it seems my shot velocity is noticeably weaker for wrist shots and snap shots, slap shots are still hot and the rest aren't bad but they seem to lack zip compared to the P92.

What are some things you tend to notice when a lie is correct of incorrect for you? Shots, passing etc.

For me, when it comes to the lie and the length of the stick - my personal rule of thumb is want as much blade flat on the ice when I am in full hockey position. That's 90 degree knee bend and both hands in front of my body. I want my top hand in front of my belly button and my hands about a foot apart on the stick. This allows me to be in that powerful, balanced, loaded stance and still be able to see the puck with my head up since my blade is in front of me and in my peripheral field of vision.

I know when I'm just dickin' around at like sticks-and-pucks I don't bend my knees as often so my shot and stick-handling tends to suffer. The only solution to that is using a longer stick for lazy habits.

The difficulties you may be encountering could be a difference of posture between a casual skate and game time.

I too am very upright when I'm messing around in a stick and puck or just shooting around. I find myself constantly moving and searching for open space, my feet tend to be very far apart and I'm doing a lot of off camber shooting as well as well set up shots of all kinds. This leads me to assume that if I'm in motion I'm much lower to the ice which according to the "rules" about lie would suggest I'm a lower lie player. I've felt very comfortable with a P88 which is a lie 5 but in terms of points scored I was on a pretty hot run with a p92. I find myself not very often in the right position to fire a quick shot with a P28 if that makes sense. I think maybe with a P92 much more of the blade is usable in passing and shooting unlike the P28 where you must shoot off the toe of mid blade for a slap shot, passing with the heel or get a duck of a pass. I made some terrible passes tonight with the position I was in and considering where I had to pass from on the blade. Don't get my wrong though when I connect with the P28 on shots they're fire... I'm not sure how versatile it is for me though.

I do have a fresh 82 flex P92 Nexus 1000 pro stock I can use

its sounds almost like this is more of a rocker issue than a lie issue. The p88 is a fairly flat blade compared to a p92 with lots of rocker and the toe is more squared on the p88, ive never used a p28 but if memory serves me right is similar to the p92 but the rockers maybe different. I would compare the two and see, cause one may have more material in one spot that the other and could be causing you to be missing on part of your shot or pass. If they match up fairly similar check the tape on the bottom of your blade to see where the most wear is, if the toe is worn out and the heel not so much you may need a higher lie and if there is more wear on the heel and not so much the toe a lower lie.

I've switched between the p92 and currently the p88 and while I'm sure some of my issues are the different curves I've confirmed from how worn out my tape is on the toe that I need to find a higher lie as I play in a more upright position with my stick closer to my body.

The last time I played with no wax on my blade with the p28 the middle of my blade was worn through and I had to re tape. The issue I'm running into with the p28 the past few games shot wise.

Wrist shots: are great because the puck is cupped in that sweet spot which makes it load nicely. Very accurate providing I have ample time to get it off

Snap shots: they work but are inconsistent with my technique, it initially have the puck on my toe and snap it off but there's so much hook the toe no longer guides the puck for the snap it makes shots erratic. Missed wide left or right quite a few times.

Slapshots: idiot proof given the toe because the puck isn't going anywhere but straight with that large pocket

Passing: in times when I needed to snap off a quick pass the toe gets in the way because the puck can't just roll off the toe easily and sometimes the toe shanks the pass, or I over compensate for the toe and get too much on the pass from the heel because I'm trying to stay away from the toe.

best advice i can give, pick a curve and stick with it. get comfortable using it in games and in free skates. youre throwing yourself off by constantly switching between curves

I wouldn't advise using a different stick for different scenarios. Practice with what you play with.

Biggest indicators lie is off: Passes sliding under your blade and shanking shots.

When have I been most comfortable on ice with a curve throughout the game? P88... I've never gone back to that curve and had an issue with using it no matter what I was coming from at the time

Stick with the standard P92. It sounds like the lie of the P28 may be an issue. If that's the case, you'd notice it on the P92 lie 5 more than likely as well. Agreeing with many of the other posters, choose one curve and stick with it. I'd encourage you to stick with the curve that benefits you more in a game situation than a stick and puck. The games are where you need to be potting goals and making passes - not a stick and puck session.

I have a p92 I'm going to take for a spin next game

Stick with it for multiple games. If you didn't have a perfect game, that's okay. Give it time. You'll be fine.

Yeah. That's pretty common. That's part of the reason I moved from the P92 and started using more of a mid curve that is less open. I still have the P92, and I do love that curve, but I did find the same issue as yourself. I feel your pain.

E36 is the same as p88 is the same as w88 is the same as hossa in ccm is the same as Ryan in Sherwood........clones of eac other. Maybe not exact but close enough.

I sail shots from time to time no matter if it's p88 or 92 or 28

Catching passes they go under the blade on 92 for me cuz of lie. I have issues with stick handling and a p88. Something with the mid curve. The puck will hop over the blade in the middle. Don't know how else to explain it.

E28, sometimes my passes in a game suck with it.

The E36 is a bigger blade with more curve/toe that's why it almost seems like a good alternative to the P88 and P92, they also shaved the blade and played with the rocker on it so it's not such a squared deal. Accepting and sending passes worked excellent for me with a p88 my shots just had less zip

Other than flex rating and flex point, the only other thing that would affect your shot from the 88 to the 28 would be puck placement on the blade and depth of pocket. Placement of the puck on the toe will get those shots off quickly and up quickly. 88 has a decent pocket, so you'll get some decent power out of it on wristers.

Other than flex rating and flex point, the only other thing that would affect your shot from the 88 to the 28 would be puck placement on the blade and depth of pocket. Placement of the puck on the toe will get those shots off quickly and up quickly. 88 has a decent pocket, so you'll get some decent power out of it on wristers.

With the 28 I take wrist shots and slap shots. Snap shots for me when the puck is already on my blade are tough because I use the toe to hold the puck and snap it off the middle of the blade so it zips off the toe. Wristers work great because the pocket holds the puck and flexes the shaft better. With the 88 I hold the puck with the toe but if I take a wrist shot it's usually from the heel to the toe because the blade is flat but snapshots work better for me because the blade is flatter. I take snap and slap with the 88/36 and wrist and slap with the 28.

With the 28 I take wrist shots and slap shots. Snap shots for me when the puck is already on my blade are tough because I use the toe to hold the puck and snap it off the middle of the blade so it zips off the toe. Wristers work great because the pocket holds the puck and flexes the shaft better. With the 88 I hold the puck with the toe but if I take a wrist shot it's usually from the heel to the toe because the blade is flat but snapshots work better for me because the blade is flatter. I take snap and slap with the 88/36 and wrist and slap with the 28.

I think the thing you need to think about is the position that you prefer to play. I know that in beer leagues, sometimes we have to go with the flow and play the position that is needed sometimes. If you play more advanced hockey, then this should be even easier. Regardless, if there's a position you find yourself playing most, or a position you enjoy the post, I'd pick the curve that's going to benefit you in the position you choose.

I'm a winger and after another hour on the ice with both my 1N p28 and my Nexus 1000 p92 I've concluded that it's not a lie issue its pilot error. The p28 just feels right and I get better with it each time. Skating up the ice feels more natural and that is a lie thing, I can use and shoot both but I just felt relieved everytime I switched back to the p28. I've had some really good games with very pretty goals with my p28 and the e28 I had before so I think I'm going to stick with it no pun intended. Here are some post session pics to show where the show from my shots is placed on the blade

6B094BA2-99B6-45F8-8812-72A65FA0502D_zps

CAE02C7C-C195-4D0F-91D9-A3E1C48DC33E_zps

Yeah. I think the more time you spend with the one option, you'll get used to it and not question what's the right path. As LW/RW, you'll definitely benefit from the 28 curve for those quick shots and getting the puck up high in a hurry. I think you're making the right choice in the long run.

Don't get me wrong though, the 88 and 92 are still great options. It just depends on what you're looking for. A curve like the 88 is balanced. It doesn't excel in any one particular area but doesn't fail in it either. A 92 or 28 gets those shots off pretty fast. Playing on the wing, you could definitely benefit from that perk. The only draw back of the mid-toe/toe curves is the negative affect on backhanding. Regardless, those can improve with practice. Go with the 28 and ride it out until the stick breaks or is whipped out.

I play both sides. I'll hang out on the off wing as a left hand shot and camp for one timers. Generally I shoot on the move from left side or right or I'll roll out to the slot and shoot from there. With the p28 skating in off wing I can really crank on the stick for the shot and the left side I kessel kick my shots or take an in stride slap shot. I don't really play low at all, board battles aren't my thing, the only time I get in low is when there's no shot opportunity and I'm going to sneak a hook pass to the slot which the p28 is great for... Only problem is no one seems to like to be in the slot where the center is supposed to be lol

I play both sides. I'll hang out on the off wing as a left hand shot and camp for one timers. Generally I shoot on the move from left side or right or I'll roll out to the slot and shoot from there. With the p28 skating in off wing I can really crank on the stick for the shot and the left side I kessel kick my shots or take an in stride slap shot. I don't really play low at all, board battles aren't my thing, the only time I get in low is when there's no shot opportunity and I'm going to sneak a hook pass to the slot which the p28 is great for... Only problem is no one seems to like to be in the slot where the center is supposed to be lol

Always need traffic in the slot. :)