Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iceman8310

CCM Skate sizing vs. Bauer skate Sizing

I have a CCM Skate sizing vs. Bauer skate Sizing question.   CCM 50k Ribcor size 9.5D for example has a 287 size holder while a Bauer MX3 9.5D has a 280 size holder.  Why both same size skates but different size holders?  Are they actually the same size or is there a half size difference between the two?  Thank you in advance

From my experience CCM skates run nearly a size larger compared to Bauer.

I switched from 7.5D MX3's last season to 7D Jetspeeds this season and I probably could have gone down another half size if I wanted to.

CCM's sizing, even when only considering length, has literally varied from one model to the next over the past 3 years.  An RBZ 9 is different from a Jetspeed 9 is different from a Tacks 9, is probably different from a Reebok 9 (though I can't say for sure on the Reeboks or new CCM Ribcor series, as I haven't really tried them).  The RBZ was definitely the furthest out in left field, but it's all very confusing.

For example, I've been sized for:

9 in Bauer Supremes

9-9.5 in Vapors (really more of a width issue -- 9.5 is a hair long, but 9EE is far too wide)

9.5 in U+

8.5 in RBZ

9 in Tacks

I realize this response isn't directly on point because you asked specifically about the Ribcor series, but I just wanted to voice some of my frustration on this lack of consistency.

As an aside, I think a lot of people went up half a size in top-end Bauers in recent years because the "wings" on the footbed cramp the toebox slightly compared to the mid-line models.

I'm in no way trying to disparage CCM's product.  I think they've actually made great strides recently.  But the sizing variances within a single brand, particularly where brick and mortar shops continue to disappear in certain areas making fitting very difficult, is maddening.

As an example, here's the purchase pattern of your average Bauer Supreme wearer:

One.9 9D

190 9D

S190 9D

Here's the likely pattern of a CCM wearer (but I'm not even sure because the fit families have changed so much):

CCM U+12 9.5D

CCM RBZ100 8.5D

CCM Tacks 9D 

CCM Jetspeed 9D (maybe?)

CCM Ultra Tacks 9.5D (based on info in new catalog thread)

Hopefully this new sizing announced on the Tacks will be permanent. I just have my doubts.  Completely changing the sizing on the RBZ line is particularly confusing to me.

I recently switched to the Bauer Supreme 190 from the CCM Tacks. I was in a Size 8D in the Tacks and I got a 8EE in Supreme and they feel about the same, Supremes feel a bit more snug in a good way. I did try going down in sizes when I tried on the Supremes but they didn't feel as comfortable out of the box. 

On 4/25/2016 at 10:50 AM, iceman8310 said:

I have a CCM Skate sizing vs. Bauer skate Sizing question.   CCM 50k Ribcor size 9.5D for example has a 287 size holder while a Bauer MX3 9.5D has a 280 size holder.  Why both same size skates but different size holders?  Are they actually the same size or is there a half size difference between the two?  Thank you in advance

Hi, allow me to just jump in here quick to help. 

I recognize that sizing has been something we've been inconsistent with over the last few years, mostly due to varying fits that played tricks how long a skate would feel. Now that our subbrands fits are perfected and anchored in (JetSpeed, RibCor and the upcoming Super Tacks/Ultra Tacks line), here's some clarity on sizing. I will use my own skate size as the example:

RBZ : I wear a size 6

Tacks (2014): I wear a 6.5

RibCor (2015-16): I wear a 6.5

JetSpeed (2015-16): I wear a 6.5

Super Tacks and Ultra Tacks (2016) : I wear a 7. 

The change in the 2016 line is a means for us to be equal in sizing to other popular subrands, so that hockey players who wear a size 8 skate will be a size 8 in any skate they choose moving forward, regardless of which brand they prefer. That means that our 2017 lines of JetSpeed and RibCor will also be adjusted then, so that we can all be equal going forward.

But that's for 2017. Let me know if you have other questions.  

2 hours ago, BelangerJS said:

Let me know if you have other questions.  

Can you compare sizing to a different brand such as Bauer? eg a 6.5 in a Jetspeed and would be a ? in the vapour line...

Or can you tell me how long your foot is? 

JetSpeed is 0.5 down on those models, so a JetSpeed 6.5 would be equal to a 7. 

13 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Can you compare sizing to a different brand such as Bauer? eg a 6.5 in a Jetspeed and would be a ? in the vapour line...

Or can you tell me how long your foot is? 

2 hours ago, BelangerJS said:

JetSpeed is 0.5 down on those models, so a JetSpeed 6.5 would be equal to a 7. 

Is the junior sizing consistent with the senior because that would put me in a 5,5 Jetspeed?

yes, same with JR. 

Best part is, the specs are exactly the same from JR to SR, so you're just getting a good deal by being a 5.5

41 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

Is the junior sizing consistent with the senior because that would put me in a 5,5 Jetspeed?