Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jeffg

Cages CCM vs Bauer

looking at the new ccm 710 helmet and  ccm 680 cage.  I currently have a bauer 7500 with a bauer re-akt titanium cage.  How much different are the two cages?

I use a ccm 310 and a Vector 8 helmet. I had never worn a full cage before (I'm 55, and when I played in college the full face cage had not been introduced). I tried a ccm 580 (same as 680), size large along with size large helmet. Tremendously heavy. I switched to the Bauer reakt Ti, size large. Much better visibility, substantially lighter. The Bauer is also almost one inch shorter top-bottom than the ccm. Stick with your re-akt.

The Re-Akt is going to be lighter, but you obviously get no choice of color and it's more protruding / bubble shaped. 

The CCM 680 is not the same mask as the 580 - the 680 has the same flattened profile but it has thin bars in the middle, whereas the 580 is all thick bars. The chin cup on the 680 is less obstructive as well. The 680 is lighter with better visibility than the 580.

The Bauer is probably still the better choice performance wise, but many will prefer the 680 for it's looks and for the Black color option.

colins

I own both a Bauer Reakt and CCM Fitlite Titanium cage. They're both light, have good visibility and don't rust. I prefer the look of the fitlite and find it fits my face and helmet a bit better. The Reakt is a few grams lighter, but it's hardly noticeable. They're both noticeably lighter than a steel cage. 

Part of the reason the Reakt is lighter is it has less coverage on the lower side jaw area than the Fitlite. They're both excellent cages, but the Fitlite is my favourite cage at the moment. So I would either stick with the Reakt you already own or if you're going to get a ccm cage then go with the Fitlite Titanium cage.

Howdy,

35 minutes ago, jeffg said:

Does anyone know if the Re-Akt cage will fit on a CCM helmet?  I'm betting it wont

I used a Re-Akt cage on a Resistance 300 helmet.  It mounts up fine.  I didn't really like the angle of the cage straps back to the helmet cage strap mount points, but it worked ok.  The Resistance (like the 710 and 310) has those mount points lower on the helmet due to the slider adjuster thing on that style helmet being more where the mount points typically are (and are on the Bauer helmets).  That meant the cage wasn't as firmly strapped shut, but again it seemed to work ok.

Mark