Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
SkateWorksPNW

Flare Skate Blade - Anyone seen this or used it? WIder than typical steel

24 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Okay guys, time to let it go. On-topic from this point forward. Thanks.

Not a problem. Sorry about that. 

But I am going to end it with this, before anyone attempts to impugn my character anymore simply due to the short duration I've been a member (which is totally irrelevant). 

The conversation *was* on topic until, you guessed it, @oldtrainerguy28 came in with this gem:

"I personally think quads are a waiste of steel. Except maybe the .5. But as inhave stated many many times 90% of the ones I see done never blend the toe so there not really quads  But Even more so on Flare i think it's a total waiste of blade. Combo i can see but that's it."

Translation: "ProSharp are idiots. 90% of of ProSharp machine users don't know how to sharpen skates, because only I know how to sharpen skates." (Btw, the machine is programmed to eliminate human error)

So anyone that pays money for a ProSharp profile and are happy with the results (of which there are many, just navigate over to that section of ModSquad) are idiots. 

Anyones that buys a Sparx is an idiot. 

Anyone that buys Bauer is an idiot. That includes 70.6% of active NHL players. 

Did I miss anything? 

Edited by pgeorgan

17 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

I never said I was a C level beer league player. I actually played college at a BIG 10 school, and I can play both goalie and forward. 

@pgeorgan My apologies. I was looking at a post near yours and misquoted it thinking it was yours. In fact it wasn't. That's my fault. Sorry about the mix up.

1 hour ago, darkhors said:

@pgeorgan My apologies. I was looking at a post near yours and misquoted it thinking it was yours. In fact it wasn't. That's my fault. Sorry about the mix up.

Haha, no worries. Apology accepted. I was wondering where you got that from. 🤔

4 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

I’ve searched through your posts and am seeing a pattern:

*Buys a Sparx*

“You’re an idiot”.

*Buys Bauer* 

“Bauer is crap”.

Don’t buy Bauer. It’s a free country. Idc. But there are a lot of happy customers on here with both.

You’re a seasoned EQM. Great. Straw man. Never challenged that. No need for the massive chip on your shoulder. But guess what, we had this little thing called the Scientific Revolution. People want to see for themselves.

The fact that you’re upset I don’t share in your animus is your problem. Not mine.

When I make a case, I say things like, "Here are the breakdowns on NHL equipment preference." Sticks. Gloves. Pants. Helmets. And yes, skates.

Try it some time. 

End rant.

Wow sure didnt troll far enough. 

Bauer boots are not bad at all except for mounting and blade alignment  

NHL private study completed showed in shot blocking they were mid pack barely. 

Sparx is no where near the quality of a ProSharp or the newest in scientific and automation as an @Elite Blade Performance

sharpening and profiling system. 

nice try though.  

Try asking why instead of saying blanket bullshit.

And I did ho back on topic but some people think they have to have the last word. 

you did troll me and picked out tiny snippets of thing you wanted to argue about  Plaun and simple. 

My only chip is ignorant younger people like yourself that think some of us older people are ignorant to change. When in fact we embrace and love new things to make the job easier and better. 

But I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade. 

your right it's done. 

18 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Wow sure didnt troll far enough. 

Bauer boots are not bad at all except for mounting and blade alignment  

Sparx is no where near the quality of a ProSharp or the newest in scientific and automation as an @Elite Blade Performance

sharpening and profiling system. 

nice try though.  

Try asking why instead of saying blanket bullshit.

And I did ho back on topic but some people think they have to have the last word. 

you did troll me and picked out tiny snippets of thing you wanted to argue about  Plaun and simple. 

My only chip is ignorant younger people like yourself that think some of us older people are ignorant to change. When in fact we embrace and love new things to make the job easier and better. 

But I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade. 

your right it's done. 

Ya, an Elite Blade Performance machine would be nice for someone doing bulk work. I would have to see the code/algorithm used to determine just how well it actually works. My guess is it's proprietary. 

I get my steel done on a top-model ProSharp machine from time to time, honestly can't distinguish between that and my Sparx. If the ice was perfect, like at an NHL rink, and I was in fact an NHL-caliber player, perhaps.

Interesting about shot blocking. Link the study if you have it. For sure there's always a trade-off in protection vs performance when trying to keep the gear light. Personally, shot-blocking is probably one of those things that will somehow find its way out of the game, imo. Or else mandatory skate Lexan wrap. Who knows. 

I'm not going to bite on that other stuff. For the sake of everyone else. 

38 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Which boots were highest on that study, out of curiosity?

It's also nowhere near the price.  As with just about everything else, there is always a tradeoff between price and quality.  When considering price and performance, the Sparx is an excellent product for most home users, particularly those who don't have access to quality, or even competent, local sharpeners.  And before you argue - no, not everyone has an extra $1000 to buy a ProSharp.  No, most people don't have the time - either in training or sharpening - or possibly even the skill to use a manual machine. No, not everyone has a nearby sharpener that can sharpen a skate without ruining the profile - not even themselves. Yes, there is a lot to be said for the convenience of sharpening a skate while you pack your bag, allowing you to have good edges every session.  No, the end result is not as good as other machines or a good hand sharpener.  Yes, there are limitations on what it can do.  Yes, it's probably still a good idea to send the steel to a quality sharpener for a refresh periodically.  Yes, that partially defeats the purpose of having the machine.  Yes, despite that it's still worth the money for what it delivers. 

• Like 1

When I said back on topic, that means STOP ACTING LIKE CHILDREN @oldtrainerguy28 @pgeorgan

That means no “final words”. Just stop.

The next person to post in this thread had better read and re-read their post to ensure it’s content is specifically about the Flare skate blade and has nothing to do with what machine they like, who they can name drop, or who cares about science more.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

And back on Topic ..I believe @Flare Skate Blade is on to something and they are willing toisten to suggestions unlike some above. And even critical feedback. Including admitting there first product 4 or more years ago was not great steel. The steel is good  ow the finish amazing and soon as I decide what I'm doing holder wise I am going to look into them much more thoroughly. 

I believe they have a solid product. I just refuse to spend any more money on blades for a holder I dont have faith in to last more than 3 months with level of players I deal with that are not on pro teams yet and are not getting the blades for free. 

Keep up the good work Flare

I had already done that!! 

What to do if you dont have a @Flare Skate Blade edge checker,?? 

21 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

What to do if you dont have a @Flare Skate Blade edge checker,?? 

You can measure the steel from both sides and the offset of the level should match both sides, when you measure from the left side of the steel and the same when you measure from the right side of the steel

On 12/12/2019 at 4:06 PM, darkhors said:

With the potential to sounds a little arrogant here, you said yourself that you're a C level beer league player. You don't have the skating skill set and fundamentals (most likely) for it to affect you because, well, you're a great skater. What I find hilariously funny (not funny like a clown), is that you've been a member here for just shy of 2 months and you're arguing with someone that is a PROFESSIONAL EQM at the highest levels.

Level shaming, really?? Almost as bad a membership/post count shaming...luckily I got that one covered.

You don't need to be playing D1 or in the show to know when something's wrong. Just because someone never played to certian level doesn't mean they aren't an experienced player. In short, settle down Francis.

Onto Flare. The major hurdle I see, they are trying to crack a market lousy with brand loyality and skepticism. New tech and concepts aren't always welcomed with open arms. Could be great. They may not get a chance based on those factors. 

Edited by stick9
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

Level shaming, really?? Almost as bad a membership/post count shaming...luckily I got that one covered.

You don't need to be playing D1 or in the show to know when something's wrong. Just because someone never played to certian level doesn't mean they aren't an experienced player. In short, settle down Francis.

Onto Flare. The major hurdle I see, they are trying to crack a market lousy with brand loyality and skepticism. New tech and concepts aren't always welcomed with open arms. Could be great. They may not get a chance based on those factors. 

Actually been working with players using them for a whole now. So far very much positive.  But I agree with a market full of "I'm the best blade" and now the parent issue. Unless your in LS2 or XS long term its an unknown. 

As for the level .. I was kinda asking what other tool could be used?.

1 hour ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

As for the level .. I was kinda asking what other tools could be used?.

To be honest, I haven't found anything that works well other than the Blackstone Flare edge checker.